1 2 3 4
fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
9/30/13 8:13 a.m.

Don't sweat it too much, the aftermarket will be along soon w/ tail lights in at least 31 flavors.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
9/30/13 8:13 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

Yeah, I don't like it either. And I like Camaros in general, as my first car was a '68. The styling just doesn't work for me. I've never liked the way the rear edge of the door doesn't blend into the rear quarter, but instead uses the gap as a crease. It's also too big, the interior seems cheap, and the visibility is terrible...But I still think the new one is an improvement.

plance1
plance1 Dork
9/30/13 8:24 a.m.
Hoop wrote:
plance1 wrote: I always hate it when some kid (I'm guessin your about 20?) who doesn't understand that goofs like him have watered down the original meaning of a word and then point to the watered down meaning as a sign of their "genius".
Well, no. Yes, the word does indeed come from the Latin word aboriri, which simply meant 'miscarry'. However, I wouldn't necessarily call anyone a goof for using its other meanings. For instance, Thomas Jefferson used it in 1800:
Thomas Jefferson; Letter to Dr. Benjamin Rush: The returning good sense of our country threatens abortion to their hopes, & they believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes.
And later, Charles Dickens used it as well:
Charles Dickens, Pictures from Italy, Chapter 10 Insomuch that I do honestly believe, there can be no place in the world, where such intolerable abortions, begotten of the sculptor’s chisel, are to be found in such profusion, as in Rome.
I think it's pretty clear that the other definitions of 'abortion' were well established by the time the OP used it, and as much as I love a good English debate, it's time to let this one go. I should explicitly state that I am simply a car guy who also dabbles in English for a day job. No tough guy here.

Yes, time to let it go, but first lets not pretend that anyone on here was thinking of Thomas Jefferson or Charles Dickens other than you after doing a google search. So get off your high horse dude.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
9/30/13 8:29 a.m.

I already said it had nothing to do with your definition of the word. So stfu

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/13 2:04 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: The Camaro is still ugly as sin.

it's still prettier than the 4th gen

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
9/30/13 2:05 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

If by "prettier" you mean less ugly, then I'd almost agree.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/30/13 2:06 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:

Nope.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/13 2:09 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:

No.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
9/30/13 2:09 p.m.

It doesn't matter what you do to the taillights its still horrifically misproportioned. Say what you will about the styling of the 4th gen( I think it looks like a fish too) but at least they got the basic shapes right. Dont believe me? Take a picture of a new one in paint and stretch 120% vertical from the windowsill up and 80% vert from the windowsill down. Looks tolerable at least then.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
9/30/13 2:15 p.m.

WTF happened in here......

slefain
slefain UltraDork
9/30/13 3:04 p.m.
yamaha wrote: WTF happened in here......

Apparently this thread experienced an aberration and the non-Camaro themed discussion should have been aborted.

I think the new tail lights look better, but that is like saying Margaret Thatcher was hotter than Eleanor Roosevelt. You aren't gaining much ground.

carbon
carbon Reader
9/30/13 3:14 p.m.

Maybe we should (to appease people who find the word abortion offensive) just say "my girlfriend went to the clinic today and had a new camaro tail light" (JK )

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
9/30/13 3:22 p.m.

Used to be car guys would look for things to like in enthusiast cars. Now they look for things to hate. A fundamental shift. And a depressing and fundamentally ugly shift it is.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
9/30/13 4:01 p.m.

The 'new' generation Camaro is a poor caricature of the 67-69 cars IMO...the tail lights (alone) do noting to help nor hurt this overall feeling. The Mustang and the Challenger both do a better job, styling wise, being faithful to their vintage counterparts.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
9/30/13 4:01 p.m.

Some of you guys are being somewhat niggardly with your Camaro compliments!

(Ps, I don't love the word abortion either. One can try to ignore what that word refers to 98% of the time it's used today but that's just being deliberately contrarian.)

I think we should be pretty exited there's a Ford vs. Chevy rivalry we can choose sides for IMO.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
9/30/13 4:06 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: Some of you guys are being somewhat niggardly with your Camaro compliments! (Ps, I don't love the word abortion either. One can try to ignore what that word refers to 98% of the time it's used today but that's just being deliberately contrarian.) I think we should be pretty exited there's a Ford vs. Chevy rivalry we can choose sides for IMO.

Chevy

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
9/30/13 4:28 p.m.

In reply to nicksta43:

Ford! (Said just a hair louder than you said Chevy and with slightly furrowed eyebrows!)

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/13 5:02 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: In reply to nicksta43: Ford! (Said just a hair louder than you said Chevy and with slightly furrowed eyebrows!)

Chebby!

FERD!!

CHEBBY!!!

PHERD!!!!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
9/30/13 5:59 p.m.

I love me some Trars!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/13 6:52 p.m.

having driven and lived with both a 2nd gen (71 firebird) and a 4th gen (96 ss) I will say that I -hated- the 4th gen. Stock it lacked anything resembling something "interesting" in that it managed to our taurus the taurus in making the perfect lozinge shape. It also had one of the worst driving positions I ever had to endure.

I also did not like how the controls were artificially heavy.

I am just thankful it was not my car. It was my Uncle's and he lost his license to 2 DUIs, so I got to drive him around in it.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
9/30/13 7:20 p.m.

...Kinda reminds me of Dale Jr...

Oh, and y'all can hate on my taillights when I get my 1LE.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
9/30/13 8:59 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Ford loses on bad trigger discipline.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
9/30/13 10:22 p.m.
Flight Service wrote:
nicksta43 wrote:
It looks fine.. Oh wait that is the Prelude

my first thought as well...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/30/13 11:35 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: You know what bothers me the most about Chevy's? That huge freaking gold bow tie! Man that thing is fugly. Yet they seem so proud of it that it has to dominate every vehicle they sell, except for the Corvette. I don't mind the bow tie shape itself, just this iteration and size of it.

I can only imagine how you feel about Ram trucks. I swear the badge on the tailgate is the size of my head.

I had a 4th gen Camero for a while. Big fat pig of a car. Possibly the worst use of space I've ever seen. I did not cry when I tore it apart. I like the looks of the new one much better, although I do wish it was about 20% smaller overall.

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
10/1/13 1:04 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
bravenrace wrote: You know what bothers me the most about Chevy's? That huge freaking gold bow tie! Man that thing is fugly. Yet they seem so proud of it that it has to dominate every vehicle they sell, except for the Corvette. I don't mind the bow tie shape itself, just this iteration and size of it.
I can only imagine how you feel about Ram trucks. I swear the badge on the tailgate is the size of my head. I had a 4th gen Camero for a while. Big fat pig of a car. Possibly the worst use of space I've ever seen. I did not cry when I tore it apart. I like the looks of the new one much better, although I do wish it was about 20% smaller overall.

Exactly Kieth. The Camero is huge. I guess most cars are nowadays are all going that way too which is crazy. I parked next to a brand new Mustang at the bank the other day in my NA miata and I was blown away with its size; the top of my car was about even with the lower portion of the Mustang windshield frame! It's easy to say that so and so car isn't very large until you compare it to something like an older miata. Yes, early miatas are pretty small, but I have developed a keen awareness of what is really necessary when it comes to car size (for me).

As for the tail lights, either or really. The car itself doesn't do much for me, so the tail lights aren't even on my mind. I appreciate that GM is trying to keep things fresh with the styling though.

-Hamid

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PkN0GV9PoC5iU2N0JZH9O7yCKJP4DiUzTinf0Pcke1YWJ8wVWNGEJEImC2sgyJQz