1 2 3
alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
1/12/15 9:09 a.m.

This comes as a shock to me- https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/01/12/ford-redefines-innovation-with-gt-supercar.html

something to discuss.

And it looks like a smaller upgrade 3.5 will go into the Raptor.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/01/12/all-new-f-150-raptor.html

All in theory, of course, until the product actually comes out.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
1/12/15 9:10 a.m.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/12/15 9:11 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/12/15 9:12 a.m.

Hmmm maybe, I would say no one would pay that much for a Ford, but people bought the last one.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/12/15 9:22 a.m.

There is nothing not cool about this

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
1/12/15 9:26 a.m.

In reply to T.J.:

Didn't see it over there, as it seems very on topic.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
1/12/15 9:28 a.m.

So, IMHO of course, a large part of the super car thing is the sound. I've driven an EB F150, and I've heard a few that are tuned with free exhaust. They just sound like crap. Great motor, but sounds like absolute E36 M3. Maybe once you start pushing that kind of power it will sound better.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
1/12/15 9:28 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Hmmm maybe, I would say no one would pay that much for a Ford, but people bought the last one.

What's really interesting to me is that I know of a company who is making a hybrid supercar out of the same engine. They recently had some public press about it, so I'm safe in posting that- but I can't recall the name off the top of my head. I know they are based in LA....

give me a few hours, and I'll remember

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/12/15 9:31 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

Agree with you on the on topic-ness of this post. Damn Latest Posts feature makes it where I usually have no idea where any given thread is posted. They are all in the latest topics forum to me.

slefain
slefain UberDork
1/12/15 9:52 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to T.J.: Didn't see it over there, as it seems very on topic.

Sorry, my bad. I tossed it in off-topic because of the large, non-grassroots price I assume to be attached to it. Frankly it could go here or in off-topic. I foresee someone snagging a 3.5L EcoBoost from a wreck and pushing it to 600hp using new GT parts.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
1/12/15 9:54 a.m.

Already a different post on this Eric.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
1/12/15 10:23 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Hmmm maybe, I would say no one would pay that much for a Ford, but people bought the last one.
What's really interesting to me is that I know of a company who is making a hybrid supercar out of the same engine. They recently had some public press about it, so I'm safe in posting that- but I can't recall the name off the top of my head. I know they are based in LA.... give me a few hours, and I'll remember

Kepler Motors- http://www.keplermotors.com/

Hybrid super car using the 3.5l Ecoboost.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/15 10:46 a.m.

a twin turbo V6 ford motor used to power a mid engine supercar? what a Noble idea.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
1/12/15 10:48 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: a twin turbo V6 ford motor used to power a mid engine supercar? what a Noble idea.

+1 for humor!

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
1/12/15 11:04 a.m.

Bloomberg had an article about the GT and their plans for Le Mans this morning.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
1/12/15 12:54 p.m.

Ford is doubling down on their turbo v6 architecture, use of aluminum, and the idea of 'technology' in general. That car seems to me to be primarily a domestic truck advertising and branding exercise.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/12/15 1:16 p.m.
doc_speeder wrote: So, IMHO of course, a large part of the super car thing is the sound. I've driven an EB F150, and I've heard a few that are tuned with free exhaust. They just sound like crap. Great motor, but sounds like absolute E36 M3. Maybe once you start pushing that kind of power it will sound better.

The Daytona Prototypes with the 3.5TT that derived this engine sounded pretty good.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/15 1:26 p.m.

The Raptor also seems like it will be a lot better than the outgoing model. It gets the new aluminum body, lighter, more powerful 3.5TT V6, a model exclusive stronger frame, redesigned suspension, better Fox shocks and a new 10 speed transmission.

So its going to be lighter, more rigid, more powerful and hopefully have better fuel economy than the outgoing 6.2L V8.

The Raptor proved to be very popular before and I hope Ford sells a metric E36 M3 ton of them so in 15 years, I can afford one haha.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
1/12/15 1:29 p.m.

I like the GT in general, but that front end is hideous. Looks like an LF-A. The back is interesting, but not good looking in my opinion either.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
1/12/15 3:16 p.m.

I can't quite make out the manufacturer of that truck stanger_missle posted, can someone zoom in and tell me what it says /s

I like the GT, don't the old ones still command quite a premium in the second-hand market these days?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/15 3:22 p.m.

My car is in the same photo with the GT and GT350R!

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/15 3:34 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

I'm sad that there's no Focus RS in said photo

Autolex
Autolex Dork
1/12/15 4:00 p.m.

I'm really glad that Ford seems to be bringing back the whole "enthusiast line", unlike say; toyota...

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
1/12/15 4:32 p.m.
Autolex wrote: I'm really glad that Ford seems to be bringing back the whole "enthusiast line", unlike say; toyota...

Agree 100% and I'm a Toyota guy....I meam what the hell does Toyota make that I'm interested in buying used down the road?.

(hint) Nothing

dropstep
dropstep Reader
1/12/15 4:34 p.m.

i usually ignore supercar news because im a broke ass but i actually want this one, exspecially after hearing a soundclip off a website. even if it was just idle and a small throttle blip.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mM3debXGzzBl86RdnGEwDXxyCsQlhVPmvyFTfrEyvQc0YPu5m16AXMzC0l9X9avg