1 2 3
singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/23/17 9:34 a.m.

5.3 sec 0-60?! From a 4wd pickup? Wow... $65k is steep though. It seems like all trucks with any sort of Lux items are in the $40s as a starting price.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vUUPPzPxVEM

Doug's thoughts.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
3/23/17 9:44 a.m.

You need that 0-60 time for the daily commute and trips to Costco.

What, you think people actually buy those things to go off-road?

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
3/23/17 10:00 a.m.

When the Raptor first came out, every one of them I saw driving around seemed to have a small business logo on the door. Probably for tax reasons.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/17 10:01 a.m.

It's like $35k for a plain-jane basic pickup these days, so of course the Raptor will be $65k.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
3/23/17 10:01 a.m.

I know my 2014 f150 feels pretty damn sprightly with the first gen 3.5...

java230
java230 SuperDork
3/23/17 10:12 a.m.

Hopefully they looked into this issue....

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/23/17 10:35 a.m.

My BIL has the first gen with the V8 and a quad cab. It was already a little nuts if you ask me. I borrowed it to go get some stuff that was too filthy for the wagon before I bought my Taco so I can offer a dated review of the experience:

It's not exactly fast, but it makes great noises. It can bark the tires by accident. It sucks gas like flushing a toilet and it isn't a very good truck for hauling anything, really, but it's as good as my Tacoma and that is enough for me so the Raptor would suit my requirements there. It's wide for parking. It's obnoxiously loud. The interior isn't really luxury but it's above "standard". It's got too much LED dash and not enough audio to overcome the exhaust note.

I'm not one to run someone elses $60k+ truck's dent-free bodywork hard thru the woods but people who know these things say it's really really good and I have to assume they are right.

IMO, It is pretty cool when used as a tall sedan with character if you want a redneck version of the M5 in bright colors. The new one looks to have improved the interior, added some lightness, chopped two cylinders and ended up with the same exact thing they had before somehow. So, I think my review above will apply to the new truck as well... except maybe the forced induction six might quiet it down some. Compared to my '17 Taco Off-Road... it's got similar interior space, same size bed, similar tow rating, nicer seats, it's 1.7 sec quicker (Taco is 7.1 to 60) to highway speed, gets about 6mpg less, is wider, heavier, and costs a whopping $33k more on the sticker. I do not hate it at all but I don't really crave one either and I'm not sure who it's for but I am sure they will sell every single one.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/23/17 11:12 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: You need that 0-60 time for the daily commute and trips to Costco. What, you think people actually buy those things to go off-road?

Yes......tons of them make it off-road. Head out West to CO, CA, UT, AZ, NM--- anywhere out West and you'll see tons of these heading off pavement. Do MOST of them sold head off road.......probably not, but it's a pretty badass tool for playing in the dirt. It makes a lot more sense to me than a Dodge SRT-10, or a Ford Lightning pickup. (not that those make sense either)

of course a lowered, super-stiff autocross-prepped car doesn't make "sense" either, but that doesn't mean it's not fun.

STM317
STM317 Dork
3/23/17 11:13 a.m.

It's basically the "Bro" version of a Shelby GT350. I'm ok with that.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/23/17 11:18 a.m.

If you don't need to haul things, just get the Fusion Sport.

Schrödinger's Flight Service
Schrödinger's Flight Service MegaDork
3/23/17 11:21 a.m.

I have driven one at a clip on a dirt road (much less than what they show in the ads) The original raptor was a hoot. The GT350 truck version is a great analogy.

The frame thing was fixed by reinforcing the frame under the bump stops. Like 30 minutes after a competent owner saw what was happening.

scs
scs New Reader
3/23/17 11:49 a.m.

I had one to test last week... listed for just over $61k. Which I didn't think was too bad until I was stopped in a Sebring parking lot by a guy who had been trying to buy a new one, and said the best price he could get from a dealer was just over $80k. Otherwise, loved it. Highway ride was stunningly good, big tires were quiet as the Michelins I have on an Avalon this week. Averaged 17.3 in three RTs to Sebring.

appliance_racer
appliance_racer New Reader
3/23/17 11:51 a.m.

65K ! ouch! I understand markets, demand and all but jeez. I paid 68K for my first house. Even my second house was only a third more than than the truck. I guess thats why I have never bought brand new vehicles.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
3/23/17 12:01 p.m.
Schrödinger's Flight Service wrote: The frame thing was fixed by reinforcing the frame under the bump stops. Like 30 minutes after a competent owner saw what was happening.

i saw a video a while back after the frame issue started to become more public, they were talking with a guy from SVT and he basically said these trucks were made to have lots of suspension travel for quick offroad driving (obviously) but they were never meant to be jumped like Ford decided to advertise them to do, which is mostly what caused the frame damage.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
3/23/17 12:03 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: You need that 0-60 time for the daily commute and trips to Costco. What, you think people actually buy those things to go off-road?

I think it's awesome. I don't need a v12TT benz for my commute either, or a 180hp bike, but it sure makes it more interesting and enjoyable. IMO life would suck if we were all in a-b penalty boxes because that's all we "need".

java230
java230 SuperDork
3/23/17 12:22 p.m.
edizzle89 wrote:
Schrödinger's Flight Service wrote: The frame thing was fixed by reinforcing the frame under the bump stops. Like 30 minutes after a competent owner saw what was happening.
i saw a video a while back after the frame issue started to become more public, they were talking with a guy from SVT and he basically said these trucks were made to have lots of suspension travel for quick offroad driving (obviously) but they were never meant to be jumped like Ford decided to advertise them to do, which is mostly what caused the frame damage.

Not really, its from the bump stop area on the frame not being strong enough, it causes a wrinkle and buckles there. Big whoops, with no airborne ness cause you to hit bumps easy. Thats what they are there for.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/23/17 12:23 p.m.

Yeah, but what's the new one's 'ring time?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ntScs10r6Kw

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
3/23/17 12:54 p.m.

In reply to Mike:

Did they have to stop for gas halfway around?

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
3/23/17 1:22 p.m.

Even a stock 3.5L Ecoboost is fast. I just bought a used 2013 F150 with that engine and it has a 3.15 rear gear and open diff. and taller then stock tires. Why Ford did this didn't spec. a limited slip I can't say but whoo boy will this thing get up and go! For a 5100 lb vehicle it's really gets me to giggling when I put my foot down and the rear tire breaks loose when I'm already doing 30-35 mph! And if I drive it carefully I can still get 20 mpg on the highway.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/23/17 1:51 p.m.

What do the old ones go for used?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
3/23/17 2:00 p.m.

Thjey are 75K around here with the addendum.

Personally I think they are a great deal at 65K. Plus they hold there value like no other. Three year old trucks with 65K msrp are selling for 75% msrp around here all the time.

If they made a reg cab with a functional bed or the short cab with the 8 foot bed I would not kick it out of bed for eating crackers.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
3/23/17 2:06 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: If they made a reg cab with a functional bed or the short cab with the 8 foot bed I would not kick it out of bed for eating crackers.

Reg cab is the short cab in Ford terms. But they won't make a super-long Raptor because it would kinda go against what it's designed for. It's not Ford's fault everyone goes "ooh, shiny expensive big truck" and buys that version when they really needed a regular F-150 (which is more capable as a truck at the expense of not being able to drive over stuff as well).

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/17 2:14 p.m.

Spent some time this past weekend with a journo, he says the latest version is a big step up from the previous.

The Raptor program and the FM Fox shock program share some engineers

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
3/23/17 2:19 p.m.

I find it exceedingly funny that the Bubbas are pissed that Ford doesn't offer a v8 in the newest Raptor.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
3/23/17 2:25 p.m.

My son's non-Raptor F150 was what, $62k? The Raptor doesn't sound so bad at $65k after that.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P5ZQYwg17vraLXzEbVH3LAxGhSkmj2TyZ2pdRcuYrsZxjWprjO7ecHvZBOsg9915