secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/23/15 10:47 p.m.

Anyone got a recommendation for inexpensive replacement sensors? I have a 10 yr old Xterra and it appears one or more of the TPMS sensors are dead. Looking online it seems the batteries generally last 7-10 years. The light came on a couple weeks after installing new tires. Had the tire installer reset them several times in the following month, but within a few miles the light would come back on and just stay on. Gave up at that point and the light has been on for the past 1.5 years or so. I would like to have them replaced and it looks like aftermarket is a lot less $. Probably going to just replace all 4 at one time.

Appreciate any useful input or amusing BS... ;)

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/24/15 7:52 a.m.

4 rubber valve stems and this...

Over the light...

But on a more serious note, the part number for the sensor (if you have a 2004 Xterra) is 40700-cd000. Retail is $117.90 each. Then you would have to have them installed and have the light reset.

Rockauto shows senors for as cheap as $37.79 each.

secretariata
1/24/15 9:37 a.m.

Yeah, I know the Nissan ones will run me at least $500 for all 4 installed. I'm preparing to offload the vehicle and would like to have the system working properly so I don't scare off any potential buyers or have to explain that if they bothered to check tire pressures regularly and actually pay attention to how it drives they don't need TPMS.

There are lots of different ones out there and I believe 2005 is the first year that Nissan put them on the Xterra (or any vehicles). I don't know enough about the system to know if they are standardized so any replacement sensor will work. I think the standard was created a few years after my vehicle was manufactured so it may not be compatible with the standard. I am hoping someone here knows a bit more about it. I've found some info on The New X forum but it is mainly focused on resetting the existing sensors and the one thread I found with an aftermarket sensor mentioned doesn't identify the one used but has a dead link to Amazon.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
1/24/15 11:57 a.m.

my son has the same issue on his 2007 Sentra - I think he was quoted $240 for all replacements. what a scam - I mentioned some black tape.

secretariata
1/24/15 12:06 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy: Yes, mandated response to the Ford Exploder/Firestone deal that really was caused by people who are either too lazy or stupid to check tire pressures and aren't observant enough to feel the difference in how their vehicle responds differently at different levels of tire inflation. Maybe the gene pool needs some bleach and we shouldn't try to mandate survival of those that don't deserve it.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/24/15 12:29 p.m.

If you are selling the truck, Rockauto is your friend...

nepa03focus
nepa03focus HalfDork
1/24/15 12:32 p.m.

No help but just wanted to add my dad has the same problems with his frontier, he just ignores it and keeps his eye on the tires. But I defiantly understand wanting it fixed when trying to sell it

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/15 4:36 p.m.

Have you looked at eBay? I got a set of four shipped for the Fiat for about $50

secretariata
1/24/15 4:43 p.m.

I've looked at a lot of places, just trying to figure out if they actually will work because I think the vehicle predates the current standard and could possibly use a different frequency or protocol for communication with the vehicle mounted "brain".

Have most of the sensors been set up to work with all vehicle manufacturers and if purchased from a reliable seller (Amazon, auto parts store, EvilBay, etc) and shown as "fitting" my vehicle is it probable that they will work? I guess that is what I'm really trying to ask...

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/24/15 6:07 p.m.

I don't know if they are universal, I just made sure the seller specified my car. In the ads they seem to at least be brand specific if not model.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JD4jAmnZ0ITkj1Bje79efMYnqlc0XpCaJvb2NN73t81UPKTkDvy8CioKvYuTsJRM