BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
8/26/23 2:29 p.m.

And it's easier than you might think wink

Little kid only pays attention to racing on the tv if it's IMSA GT3 cars and it's all because of "Rexy." When it comes into a shot, "Dad, the Dinosaur car! I saw the Dino car!" They could be running 15th and she wouldn't care, still her favorite car. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
8/26/23 3:30 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

Years ago, my oldest son would sit in front of the TV , watching Indy cars. Every time Bobby Rahal was on screen he would start yelling "Bobby Hall!  Bobby Hall!". He would have only been three or four at the time.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/26/23 3:56 p.m.

In the early days monster trucks were, well, monster trucks.  Then they marketed to kids.  Good thinking.......

BlueInGreen - Jon
8/26/23 6:07 p.m.

Come to think of it: at the other end of the endurance racing spectrum the kids are huge fans of the flying pig Mustang.

Want to get kids into motorsports? Do your racecar up like a fun animal!

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
9/7/23 12:04 p.m.

I love these wild cars, but maybe I'm just a kid at heart. Can we keep them coming?

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
9/7/23 12:12 p.m.

I have been beat by Flying Pig Racing more times than I can count.  Don't quote me but he as to be running mid 1:40's at Grattan.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/7/23 12:48 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

I love these wild cars, but maybe I'm just a kid at heart. Can we keep them coming?

I second the motion. And when my kiddo gets a little older, I hope to bring her to a few motorsport events.

The most promising thing so far? My wife, my kid and I were riding on my father-in-law's boat. My kid's reaction when we got up to speed? She wanted to go faster.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/7/23 12:50 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

.....She wanted to go faster.

Yeah, it's really addicting, isn't it?

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
9/7/23 1:24 p.m.

Kids always like this car

j_tso
j_tso Dork
9/7/23 2:00 p.m.

I'd think with all the billions The Mouse has they could do this more often:

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
9/7/23 3:37 p.m.

There used to be someone who had all sorts of kids interested in racing...

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
9/7/23 3:42 p.m.

My kids love my race car. 

They also love the Pink Pig 917.  

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/7/23 3:46 p.m.

They should take every F1 car with a driver not named Verstappen and give it a cool theme paint job. "Look daddy, the Frog just passed the dinosaur!" 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/7/23 4:33 p.m.

I started taking my kids to Mid Ohio when they were 3 or so.  Mom got a break, we were gone the whole day and at least both of my boys are still into motor sports at 20 and 15.  I credit the way ALMS involved the fans and this livery:

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
9/8/23 8:38 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In the early days monster trucks were, well, monster trucks.  Then they marketed to kids.  Good thinking.......

As a kid, I loved monster trucks and always sought them out when they came into town - besides the arena being super cold and super loud. I may have been a fan of Predator because it just looked cool at the time.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/8/23 12:44 p.m.

I bought a bunch of sharpies so my girls (currently 5 and 7) could draw all over the car.

They love it!

johndej
johndej SuperDork
9/8/23 12:51 p.m.

No mention of SpeedyCop's antics?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/8/23 12:55 p.m.

My 2yo's favorite word is "racecar", and its no small wonder why. 

He enjoyed watching at an autocross.  He loves Monster Trucks, and in addition to monster jam it means Icelandic Formula Off-road. Also Ken Block, F1, and Isle of Mann TT motorcycle onboard footage...

I may be creating a monster...

j_tso
j_tso Dork
9/8/23 1:31 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

I bought a bunch of sharpies so my girls (currently 5 and 7) could draw all over the car.

I saw a 240Z at a car show that was sprayed with chalk board paint and the owner let kids draw all over it.

You could have a new livery at each race.

BlueInGreen - Jon
9/9/23 12:29 p.m.
akylekoz said:

I have been beat by Flying Pig Racing more times than I can count.  Don't quote me but he as to be running mid 1:40's at Grattan.

Yeah that monstrosity is faster than an old Mustang with a 55 gallon drum on the snout and some giant plywood sheets on the roof has any right to be, especially considering what must be, um, unique aerodynamic characteristics.

GCrites
GCrites Dork
9/10/23 9:02 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

As a fan of monster trucks at a young age when they were still just trucks (and cars like Blue Thunder, The Monster 'Vette and various Mustangs) I got grossed out when they went to the fantasy vehicles. But clearly I am wrong when it comes to making money.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/10/23 10:27 p.m.

I just took my kid to Road America and over time she got into Indycar and F1 racing. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7NBTdKCVepquaxtZUX7xDvmTAmhA71mrXJk8uuhWaeNA4VueFGU1hcoaoYgLxSgh