1 2
wayslow
wayslow New Reader
2/20/09 10:50 a.m.

It looks like I just bought a basket case Lotus Europa for $1000. So I have two questions now.

A: It doesn't have an engine or tranny so my options are wide open. Any ideas? B: How do I tell my wife?

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
2/20/09 10:53 a.m.

Dr. Hess here on the board can point you in the right direction regarding restoration or engine combos and or links to do so.

As for your Wife.....pray.

JoshC
JoshC New Reader
2/20/09 10:58 a.m.

Always remember this quote: "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission." Explain to her what a sweet deal it was and that you simply couldn't pass it up. Also mention that you're trying to do your part to bolster the economy; however, be prepared for backlash as she hits local department stores.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
2/20/09 11:00 a.m.

I suggest something zingy with a smooth powerband. The only europa I drove felt so light I thought for sure I could punch my way out of it if accidentally locked in.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
2/20/09 11:12 a.m.

Plan A:

Do what Tim does and hide it behind a barn, don't let your wife mow the lawn.

Plan B

"But honey, it's cheaper than a girlfriend and I'm not hanging out in dark smokey bars ogling college girls".

Plan C:

Aw c'mon, all the cool guys have one.

Plan D:

Hey, you go along with this or we'll never have sex again.

I have an extra room over my garage when she explains to you Plan F ....

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/20/09 11:27 a.m.

How is the drivetrain laid out in the Europa?

If it is a North South mid engine then I suggest VW 1.8T from a 1999-2005 Passat

If it is an EW mid engine then I suggest a 2.2L Ecotec from a 2002-2007 GM FWD

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 HalfDork
2/20/09 11:34 a.m.

Zingy... smooth powerband?

4age 20v blacktop mated to a 6-speed!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/20/09 11:39 a.m.
wayslow wrote: B: How do I tell my wife?

Start a new thread here titled "Was this a smart purchase?". We will fall in line and write about how you stole the car, how we all wish we could find a deal like that, blah, blah, blah, etc. Then show it to your wife.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
2/20/09 11:43 a.m.

good call woody.

we got yo back wayslow.

as ugly as those cars are this isn't going to be easy.

Winston
Winston New Reader
2/20/09 12:22 p.m.
John Brown wrote: How is the drivetrain laid out in the Europa? If it is a North South mid engine then I suggest VW 1.8T from a 1999-2005 Passat If it is an EW mid engine then I suggest a 2.2L Ecotec from a 2002-2007 GM FWD

North-south middy.

I also suggest a Toyota 4AGE mated to a stock Europa transmission. A guy here in Houston makes the adapter. Find a Europa board and look for John (?) Pels.

wayslow
wayslow New Reader
2/20/09 1:43 p.m.

I have to admit that the 4age was the first thing that came to mind. Since I have a freshly rebuilt one sitting on my engine stand right now it's sort of a no brainer. Has a Europa been in the Challange yet?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
2/20/09 2:00 p.m.

Can't help you with the wife thing, sorry.

The powerplant, now there I can. Since it's a north/south middie and doesn't need a whole bunch of power to be quite entertaining, I'd do a Subaru 1.8 turbo motor (134 HP @ 5900 RPM) and 5 speed box. That way you could lower the 'breadvan' and get some much needed rear visibility and also keep the CG really low.

driver109x
driver109x Reader
2/20/09 2:04 p.m.

There you go. Drop the 4ag in. How about a boxer engine?

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
2/20/09 2:15 p.m.

The current Lotus' like the Toyota engine. I thnk it would work well for you too.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
2/20/09 2:17 p.m.
Winston wrote:
John Brown wrote: How is the drivetrain laid out in the Europa? If it is a North South mid engine then I suggest VW 1.8T from a 1999-2005 Passat If it is an EW mid engine then I suggest a 2.2L Ecotec from a 2002-2007 GM FWD
North-south middy. I also suggest a Toyota 4AGE mated to a stock Europa transmission. A guy here in Houston makes the adapter. Find a Europa board and look for John (?) Pels.

Didn't the very first Tercels sold in the US have Fwd and north-south engine orientation? That might get you a more readily available transmission mate with your 4AG motor. If my memory is wrong on this someboy please speak up.

Rustfinger
Rustfinger New Reader
2/20/09 2:23 p.m.

I'm pretty sure all the early Tercels were RWD...

although finding something other than that Vichy box the Europa came with would be high on my list of things i'd want changed out when adding more power.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
2/20/09 2:37 p.m.
Rustfinger wrote: I'm pretty sure all the early Tercels were RWD... although finding something other than that Vichy box the Europa came with would be high on my list of things i'd want changed out when adding more power.

My understanding is that there was never a rear drive Tercel (in North America, maybe).

Clem

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
2/20/09 2:39 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: as ugly as those cars are this isn't going to be easy.

car39
car39 Reader
2/20/09 2:39 p.m.
Woody wrote:
wayslow wrote: B: How do I tell my wife?
Start a new thread here titled "Was this a smart purchase?". We will fall in line and write about how you stole the car, how we all wish we could find a deal like that, blah, blah, blah, etc. Then show it to your wife.

Woody:

Good plan. I'll be counting on your help if the 2nd Miata comes thru.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/20/09 2:45 p.m.

I seem to remember an upgrade for these cars was the turbo engine out of the Renault Fuego.

Rustfinger
Rustfinger New Reader
2/20/09 2:47 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote:
Rustfinger wrote: I'm pretty sure all the early Tercels were RWD... although finding something other than that Vichy box the Europa came with would be high on my list of things i'd want changed out when adding more power.
My understanding is that there was never a rear drive Tercel (in North America, maybe). Clem

OK...maybe i'm thinking of the Starlet then.

Winston
Winston New Reader
2/20/09 3:46 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I seem to remember an upgrade for these cars was the turbo engine out of the Renault Fuego.

That's true, because the Turbo Fuego transmission is the same (though beefed up, I believe) as the Europa. The Turbo Fuego engine is an evolution of the Renault mill found in the early Europas (pre- Twincam).

To those suggesting boxer engines -- that would require altering the rear chassis section of the Europa in a ridiculous way. Heck, even a small I4 like the 4AGE requires a small notch in the chassis on one side. You'd have to build an entirely new rear chassis section for a Subie boxer engine... but if you did want to go thru that trouble, it would help you in the trans department too.... just use the Subie transmission too (either a FWD from an early Impreza/Legacy, or a later AWD from a WRX/STi with the rear output lock kit from Australia).

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
2/20/09 4:04 p.m.

Oh man why do'nt i find this like this?

If you have the sub frame how about a bike motor? Light, small, plenty of HP, sure some might say no torqure but that why theres gears and it light weight body anyway.

ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/20/09 7:54 p.m.
Rustfinger wrote:
ClemSparks wrote:
My understanding is that there was never a rear drive Tercel (in North America, maybe). Clem
OK...maybe i'm thinking of the Starlet then.

Nope , you were right. The first generation Tercel was a north/south front-driver. In fact, it was Toyota's first FWD car. I guess that made it a harbinger of the apocolypse, given Toyota's current (yawn) offerings.

erohslc
erohslc New Reader
2/20/09 8:06 p.m.

Early Saab Turbo? N-S Orientation, decent power, OEM tranny (but I don't know how reliable it is). Gotta be cheaper/easier to find/more reliable than the froggy hardware.

Carter

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ERZ4sjLW0MRJ2U44Y36xV1ZkoYrlx4sSxeA8BWcETTCCywP0yFPGaZbs37gWMHnW