I'll second the V50 and add the S40.

As easy to get into as a CR-V -- Check
An interior as nice as an Acura TL or BMW 3 series -- Check
30MPG or better freeway -- well, 29, but you might eke out 30 if you try
Reliable as a Honda -- Pretty close
Under 75k miles -- no problem
Under $15 -- they're out there
Doesn't look like something my 17 year old sons would drive -- check
Manual trans or an auto with a favorable reliability record. -- Yup. Five or six speeds were used, depending on if you go turbo.

They've got the best seats around, they're built as solid as a tank.

Do NOT buy a non-Turbo s40/V50 with an auto. It's a slug.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
5/1/12 8:02 a.m.

Like this?

V50 Ad

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
5/1/12 8:28 a.m.

The junkyard sound system thread reminded me that I also have the requirement of a decent OEM sound system. Doesn't have to be audiophile good, but good enough that I won't have to start replacing components because it sucks so bad (like the Bose system in my '03 TL-S did).

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
5/1/12 8:43 a.m.

Personally, I am currently in favor of a Saab 9-5 for myself.
Hits all your points:

As easy to get into as a CR-V -- Check (wagon or sedan)
An interior as nice as an Acura TL or BMW 3 series -- Check
30MPG or better freeway -- Check
Reliable as a Honda -- You decide
Under 75k miles -- no problem
Under $15 -- Check
Doesn't look like something my 17 year old sons would drive -- Check
Manual trans or an auto with a favorable reliability record. -- 4 cyl 2.3L in low presure turbo (Linear) or high pressure turbo (Aero) available in manual. Mid range 3.0L turbo in auto only (and less mpg.)
Comfy seats which even have an option for heated and COOLED seats.
Typical Sample:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?modifySearchId=51360911&zip=44870&endYear=2011&startYear=1981&makeCode1=SAAB&bodyStyles=WAGON&searchRadius=100&minPrice=44&listingId=320045633&Log=0
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?modifySearchId=51360911&zip=44870&endYear=2011&modelCode1=9-5&startYear=1981&makeCode1=SAAB&bodyStyles=SEDAN&transmissionCode=MAN&searchRadius=100&minPrice=44&listingId=319332523&Log=0

All applies to the SAAB 9-3 as well.
Typical sample:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?modifySearchId=51360911&zip=44870&endYear=2011&startYear=1981&makeCode1=SAAB&bodyStyles=WAGON&transmissionCode=MAN&searchRadius=0&minPrice=44&listingId=317208605&Log=0

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/1/12 9:14 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: Like this? V50 Ad

That'd be the one! You can get the turbo + a 6-speed manual as well.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
5/1/12 9:21 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I know nothing about these cars. Enlighten me further please? Things like some years better than others, weaknesses/what to look for, values (is this one a good price? ), should I be worried about the mileage on the car in the link (I need it to last a good 6-7 years of normal driving)?, etc... Also, how is the auto trans in these? I assume I should stick with the 2.5l turbo?

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
5/1/12 9:23 a.m.

CX-7? I know they were available in a manual (though not with the AWD that you'd want)- I found the interiors on the more loaded ones to be pretty swanky. They DID have Bose sound... but Mazda's Bose seems to be less painful than most. I don't have a problem with it in my ms3. They never really sold that well, so values seem to be dropping to well within your price range.... and you get the DISI.... which is turning out to be quite the monster mill.

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
5/1/12 9:27 a.m.

In reply to mndsm:

That's a possibility. There are quite a few on autotrader that are in my price range. But what about gas mileage?

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
5/1/12 9:31 a.m.

Mileage can be terrible, or it can be halfway decent. I don't know that you'd ever get 30mpg out of it unless you were coasting with a tailwind the entire time. However, if you stay out of the loud pedal, and be chill while driving, i'd not be surprised to see mid-upper 20's with a manual one. I've seen 30+ out of my ms3 before, so I know that engine is capable of being decently efficient.

Strizzo
Strizzo UltraDork
5/1/12 9:33 a.m.

In reply to mndsm:

when did they come with a manual? i thought they were all auto only in 2 or AWD, and the DISI is slightly de-tuned to around 240hp. the DISI motor is neat and all, but the cx-7 didn't get great mileage (heavy suv + small turbo = in boost all the time). the cx-9 with the 3.9l would have more room, more power, and you'd hardly take a hit in the MPG dept. (1mpg highway)

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
5/1/12 9:42 a.m.
Strizzo wrote: In reply to mndsm: when did they come with a manual? i thought they were all auto only in 2 or AWD, and the DISI is slightly de-tuned to around 240hp. the DISI motor is neat and all, but the cx-7 didn't get great mileage (heavy suv + small turbo = in boost all the time). the cx-9 with the 3.9l would have more room, more power, and you'd hardly take a hit in the MPG dept. (1mpg highway)

I wanna say it was early on- First two years of production? I remember looking at one in early 2007 for the wife and leaving the dealer promptly after discovering the AWD was not available with a man pedal.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/1/12 10:15 a.m.

Why get something "as nice as"? Why not get the real deal? A 3 series BMW will do all those things.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
5/1/12 10:24 a.m.
Argo1 wrote: Why get something "as nice as"? Why not get the real deal? A 3 series BMW will do all those things.

Because that isn't as reliable as a Honda or as easy to get in as a CR-V.

My vote would be a 9-5 (maybe not 100% as reliable as Honda but fairly reliable) or V50.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer New Reader
5/1/12 10:28 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: Here's the rules: - As easy to get into as a CR-V - An interior as nice as an Acura TL or BMW 3 series - 30MPG or better freeway - Reliable as a Honda - Under 75k miles - Under $15 - Doesn't look like something my 17 year old sons would drive - Manual trans or an auto with a favorable reliability record. This would be an all year around daily driver. I'm looking for comfort, efficiency, style, and new enough to easily last 7 years, 100k miles reliably.

The answer is the Toyota ECHO. 1, check. 2, basic, but comfy. 3, check. 4, depends on which one you find, 5, check, all of them are under 15k. 6, Your sons would hate it, because it's not a sports car, or a luxury car. It's a one-calorie car. 7, Get a manual, and immediately wire up a tachometer, or else you'd have to shift by ear, which is pretty hard with that much wind noise. Comfort, yes. Efficiency, check. Style, none, but that's the beauty- it's like an invisibility cloak cop-wise. and 7 Years and 100K would be no problem. Do you ECHO my Idea?

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
5/1/12 11:26 a.m.

How about a Mazda 3? Anyone with any experience with them?

bravenrace
bravenrace UberDork
5/1/12 11:31 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Personally, I am currently in favor of a Saab 9-5 for myself. Hits all your points: As easy to get into as a CR-V -- Check (wagon or sedan) An interior as nice as an Acura TL or BMW 3 series -- Check 30MPG or better freeway -- Check Reliable as a Honda -- You decide Under 75k miles -- no problem Under $15 -- Check Doesn't look like something my 17 year old sons would drive -- Check Manual trans or an auto with a favorable reliability record. -- 4 cyl 2.3L in low presure turbo (Linear) or high pressure turbo (Aero) available in manual. Mid range 3.0L turbo in auto only (and less mpg.) Comfy seats which even have an option for heated and COOLED seats. Typical Sample: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?modifySearchId=51360911&zip=44870&endYear=2011&startYear=1981&makeCode1=SAAB&bodyStyles=WAGON&searchRadius=100&minPrice=44&listingId=320045633&Log=0 http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?modifySearchId=51360911&zip=44870&endYear=2011&modelCode1=9-5&startYear=1981&makeCode1=SAAB&bodyStyles=SEDAN&transmissionCode=MAN&searchRadius=100&minPrice=44&listingId=319332523&Log=0 All applies to the SAAB 9-3 as well. Typical sample: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?modifySearchId=51360911&zip=44870&endYear=2011&startYear=1981&makeCode1=SAAB&bodyStyles=WAGON&transmissionCode=MAN&searchRadius=0&minPrice=44&listingId=317208605&Log=0

What kind of mileage would that 9-5 in your first link get? None of my sources list that car.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/1/12 11:47 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: How about a Mazda 3? Anyone with any experience with them?

Stay away from the 2.0. The 2.3 and 2.5 are both very good and easily pass your 30MPG highway requirement. Very nice interior for a compact car. Entry/exit is a little low but the doors are big and open wide. Back and hatch space are a little small, but the hatch is a much more useful (and better looking) car IMO. Sport is the base Spec, Touring is the Premium one. Options abound including a very nice moonroof, leather, nav, etc. The earlier cars (pre-giant smiley face) have a nicer interior and better nav. I tried many of these out before buying the 5, but the usefullness of the sliders for the baby seats, lower prices, 3rd row seating, and larger cargo hold sold me up to the 5. You don't need any of that so the 3 should be great for you as long as you can handle the entry/exit.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
5/1/12 11:52 a.m.

www.fueleconomy.gov says that a 2006 Saab 9-5 wagon w/ automatic would get 16/20/26.
The manual version would get 18/22/27
Fuel economies were recalculated in 2008. Before that recalculation this car was rated for about 1 or 2 miles more per reading.

Unfortunately, the Saab turbo does require premium fuel.

That website give the EPA MPG of every vehicle sold in the US since 1985

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UberDork
5/1/12 11:54 a.m.

Did you find your six speed TL yet?

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 HalfDork
5/1/12 11:58 a.m.
MG Bryan wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: I take it the TL does not have a manual option. We can fix that...
They absolutely did come with a 6 speed manual. They just aren't terribly common.

IIRC 6-speed 2005+ TL-S came with stock Brembos too!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
5/1/12 12:03 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Another thought: Volvo V50 (small, but you can get turbo motors and/or manual transmissions)

30mpg is only atainable down hill with the wind behind you. I've never got 30mpg out of my C30, not matter what I do. Best ever was 27.8mpg on a run. Average mixed use being sensible is 25.5-26.6. Fun can drop that fast.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
5/1/12 12:03 p.m.

What doesn an E36 325i get on the highway?

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 HalfDork
5/1/12 12:10 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to CLNSC3: I was somewhat inspired by the RDX suggestions, but they are only rated at 24 highway mpg and I couldn't find one in my price range with the miles I was looking for. I won't rule it out, but it looks like it will be hard to find one.

They may be rated at 24 hwy mpg, but if you are careful to stay out boost as much as possible and travel at the right speed you can get damn close to 30. The price may be the killer... Mine was a 2008 with technology package, etc, etc and has just under 20,000 miles. I sold it back in 2010 and IIRC I got about $25,000 for it.

One warning, under full boost these things LOOOOVE gas! I could make a tank last a week and a half or three days depending on my driving!

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 HalfDork
5/1/12 12:11 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: What doesn an E36 325i get on the highway?

Mid-to-high 20's I believe...

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
5/1/12 12:25 p.m.

My '87 325is gets as high as 28 mph hyw. In real world mixed driving I get a consistent 24.5 at about 60% hyw.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sW1ATSfTFYjzoc5Xb3hXrDTcPaniZtKkMnPNx6gMXXHoMQg0kIi16pe5kgpnUtwZ