bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/30/15 4:22 p.m.

I am embarking on the second restoration of my 1970 Ford F100 4X4. The truck as it sits now is stock except that when I last redid it about 15 years ago I added a rebuilt power steering box from a later Ford pickup, and a vacuum brake booster. Those two upgrades made it very nice to drive, but even with a brand new front end the steering was always a little vague. It would tramline, there was an inch of play and it wandered a lot. So for this rebuild I want it to drive like a modern truck. I have that opportunity because it needs the second makeover thanks to terminal rust and I am going to start with a rust free cab and box. Which means there will not be much left of old blue when I am done. So that has me thinking about my options.

First, I am not sure if my steering was typical of trucks of that era or did I get a bad box? I just don't remember generally how late sixties trucks drove back then. SO do I maybe just need to rebuild it stock with better quality components?

Second option would be to swap the frame out to one from a 1973 - 1979 generation. I would get disc brakes and a different front end. This frame is also wider which may help things. This is a common swap so the problems have been solved multiple times. But would the steering be better? I don't know. I don't want an incremental improvement, I want it to drive like my 2008 dodge; 300000 km and its still one finger steering.

Third option is to go for a much newer frame and get modern underpinnings. This will get into the realm of the unknown and I think I would need to do some major cutting and hacking. Problem solved, but at what cost?

Any input welcome. When we get this sorted out you can help me choose a drivetrain.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
1/30/15 6:59 p.m.

Looks promising... http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/toyota-steering-box-swap-for-1948-1960-trucks/

Since you're letting me pick the drivetrain, I opt for 4.9 Six with turbo, ZF5, 9" rear!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/30/15 7:33 p.m.

I'd guess a bad box, that's something I'd want to rebuild myself for that reason. That's new enough to be balljoints, not kingpins, right?

bearmtnmartin
1/30/15 7:36 p.m.

Hmmm. I did rebuild a power steering box once and it no longer turned and there were a lot of ball bearings left over.

bearmtnmartin
1/30/15 7:40 p.m.

Why is it that when I click on quote I just get a screen that says "broke"? I know that but I don't need GRM reminding me all the time.

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
1/31/15 12:51 a.m.

Did you try to tighten the steering to get the play out? What you have now may be fine.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
1/31/15 8:57 a.m.

I suspect the box you put in was worn, or there are other parts in the steering mechanism that needed replacement. Old Ford trucks will never steer like a sports car, but if everything is in good condition it shouldn't be vague. I have a '66 F-100, which is more or the less the same underneath as your truck.

As for switching to a whole new 1973-1979 frame I don't think you would gain much, as they were pretty much the same as well other than detail differences.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
1/31/15 5:42 p.m.

A solid axle leaf spring four wheel drive truck designed in the 60's is not really likely to ever allow you to relax too much while driving.

Adjust the box, make sure the draglink isn't loose, maybe look at adding some caster shims between the axle and the springs. Also, make sure the body members that the front cab mounts sit on haven't rusted and collapsed. The steering column can get pinched as the front end of the cab sinks, causing some odd feelings- at least the 2wd versions are like that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
M1f92GHlJOQezEQga8e589hYXg5AemYGfGU7VTKNrEJrfCpFmgnzVfjWipTFAAE7