1 2 3
SPG123
SPG123 Reader
2/22/15 9:23 p.m.

As I fumbled around looking for the right tools in the too small garage this afternoon, I wondered, would I be happier with the car of my dreams parked there or with the fully equipped garage of my dreams. And you?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/22/15 9:27 p.m.

Garage. I'd rather tinker with the wrong thing than have to leave the right thing alone.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
2/22/15 9:28 p.m.

I already have my unicorn, so I'd say garage.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
2/22/15 9:29 p.m.

Fully equipped garage for sure. I could easily have several hundred thousand in a big building fully stocked so I could wrench on cheap projects.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
2/22/15 9:32 p.m.

Definitely the garage/shop because the projects will come and go with different interests

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
2/22/15 9:34 p.m.

Garage, no question. Even if it meant I could never have my dream car.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
2/22/15 9:47 p.m.

+1 for Garage of dreams... fabrication machines (nice hydraulic tubing bender, nice metal chop saw & scroll saw, CNC mill & 3D printer, automated welder, and a vehicle dyno), nice 2-post vehicle lift, nice huge Air compressor with associated drivers and bits, and ALL the hand tools and diagnostic tools you'd ever want/need. Oh and an excellent A/C system to keep it nice and cool and not humid! Dream car instead?...LOL NO!

I halfway have a nice interior work room which was converted out one of the bedrooms with epoxied concrete floor treatment, industrial/medical rubber trim, heavy-duty metal outlets, and nice proper illumination with some track lighting installed in key areas. It has a heavy duty butcher-block workbench (with my Dillon pistol ammunition reloader and bench vise permanently attached), a nice big massive drafting table I got from a former co-worker for free, a large metal Husky garage storage cabinet for equipment and consumables, a wall mounted fire extinguisher, 220V outlet in for the Tig welder and wall mount location for an Argon bottle, and finally a custom designed and created central ceiling exhaust venting system using two very high flow bathroom ventilation fans (great for soldering, painting, and Tig welding in an A/C controlled environment of course...)

My dad has rebuilt his Yamaha Virago motorcycle motor in the room (which is still on engine stand in there), my brother Tig'd up the modified fuel tank for the Virgo in the room (took the stock tank and made it higher capacity), and my dad is now currently working on rebuilding the gearbox unit on old 60's heavy duty Troy Built tiller (currently completely torn down and trying to source the last few needed replacement parts for it).

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
2/22/15 9:51 p.m.

Garage.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
2/22/15 9:51 p.m.

Garage.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/22/15 10:01 p.m.

Has anyone said garage yet? Definitely garage.

Besides, I don't have one car of my dreams. The car of my dreams changes too often for me to keep track.

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado HalfDork
2/22/15 10:05 p.m.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Garage for me too. It's all about the thrill of the build.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
2/22/15 10:06 p.m.

Dream Garage, because I could then build my dream car. This one is kinda like "ask for money, receive advice. Ask for advice, receive money twice."

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
2/22/15 10:11 p.m.

Garage as well. I keep eyeing the space around my garage now to figure out how to expand it (knock out kids bedroom to make room for lift!). Oh well, probably live with what I have for now.

Cactus
Cactus New Reader
2/22/15 10:15 p.m.

Since the car of my dreams is a Mazda 787b (keep dreaming), I'm going to go ahead and follow the garage crowd.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
2/22/15 10:34 p.m.

I race cars, not garages. While I like to tinker, and a bitchin garage would definitely benefit that, I still like racing more at the end of the day.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/15 10:34 p.m.

There is no "dream car", it would be "dream cars".

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
2/23/15 1:04 a.m.

Garage. I would rather build one of my "realistic dream cars" in one then own something that is so rare and expensive that I would be constantly worried about it.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
2/23/15 1:38 a.m.

Car. I only work on my own car because I don't like paying others for something I can do for less for a known level of quality.

chada75
chada75 New Reader
2/23/15 2:48 a.m.

Garage.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
2/23/15 4:34 a.m.

I reject your premise. Both!!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/23/15 5:44 a.m.

this weekend, the garage got one step closer to being there. So I'd have to say car.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
2/23/15 6:03 a.m.

Garage. My dream cars are cheap compared to my dream garage. Take that from someone who just bought a new welder and plasma cutter. Now I'm in the market for a new jump shear. If I had back all the money I have spent on my cars and my garage, I could build a dream house, but it wouldn't have a garage like the the one I want.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/23/15 6:17 a.m.

There is a house with the dream garage space going up for sale just up the street. 3 car with a middle stall tall enough got a pusher diesel RV. Too bad the house around it is sooo big otherwise I'd have a new garage. :)

So with that, I'll say car. I can build the garage for cheaper.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/15 6:29 a.m.

Garage. Makes a lot more sense for the grassroots crowd, because your dream garage will let you build and maintain a nicer car, while your dream car itself will probably bankrupt you in short order.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/15 6:38 a.m.

Garage, because the cars are the easy part, once you have the tools.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4dAblaippa863N9tPhFta4SsOk4986Qai0kXYteeCPDkxYvgLLFSoJCU5UmHMdDH