1 2 3
ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
9/27/11 12:20 p.m.
mtn wrote: You can easily get a 30 minute run in during course walks, and you'll get a ton more course walks than anyone else.

True, but with that comes other issues (also running isn't fun). I can work out before or after an autocross (I do). I was just saying that switching to a cheaper hobby that's more active is starting to look like a pretty good idea.

That said, I just mounted up the STR wheels/tires for next year on the S2K last night.

freedomweasel
freedomweasel New Reader
9/27/11 12:32 p.m.

Just two or three local events last summer, my first season. This year I've done all but one local event, and I'll be at the NCAC regional event this weekend. I think that makes 12 events this year.

Hopefully a HPDE or two next year.

car39
car39 Reader
9/27/11 3:57 p.m.

12-14 a year plus a couple of track days. With the weather in the Northeast, we have to cram everything into a few months.

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
9/27/11 7:31 p.m.
car39 wrote: 12-14 a year plus a couple of track days. With the weather in the Northeast, we have to cram everything into a few months.

Thats the problem in Michigan too. The "season" really only runs from about mid-May until the end of September. Anything outside of that can be really sketchy for weather. Unfortunately, that also means the early season events are usually held in the rain and most of the others in the blazing sun/heat. Throw in the fact that there are usually vacations, family beach trips, etc. and I'm doing well to get in a half dozen. Then I spend the other 7 months of the year with nothing to do, waiting for the season to start.

familytruckster
familytruckster Reader
9/27/11 8:10 p.m.

2 in the last 3 years .... before that about 8 a year.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
9/28/11 4:23 p.m.

6-8 (of 8) of my local BMWCCA autocrosses usually. I want to get more involved in some other clubs like a miata club that has $1 fun runs at the end of the day and uses the same venue, but sometimes life seems to make it hard to fit much more than 1/mo. plus BMW allows us to run the Jeep whereas i'll have to convince other clubs from scratch again.

car39
car39 HalfDork
9/29/11 7:46 a.m.
LainfordExpress wrote: My theory is that the absolute key is to either make friends or get friends to go. Like pretty much everything in life, eventually the people are more important than the activity itself.

We call our club "A social club with a driving problem". We spend a lot of time together in the off season, and I've met a lot of great people at events. My wife got involved in timing our track day events, so now she has a lot of autox friends, even though she doesn't drive.

I usually make 12 autox a year. Would like to make more, but the New England weather guarantees all the events run in the same 5 months.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FS76B6gOiqv8F4wZLm8nAgH3pVttjMTAORaa3JSGQjUuqnSGw8uDShLo3Z8rFgHa