1 2 3 4 5
FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
2/22/18 8:28 a.m.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
2/22/18 8:38 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

What don't you get about ricer. That doesn't mean Japanese, it means boy racer nonsense. And vettes are not quality cars, nor do I like the driving dynamics. Same with pony cars, poor build quality and poor driving dynamics. There are a lot of cars that are "fast" but suck to drive.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
2/22/18 8:39 a.m.

And, I'll admit it. I HATE!!!! the sound of an american V8. Seriously, I hate it. Always have. 

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
2/22/18 9:06 a.m.

Hmm, how about a JDM R32 GTR?  Those can be had here in the USA for $20k.  Of course then you get to deal with a right hand drive car...

I admit I should probably have bought a 996tt instead of my Cayenne Diesel.  Just sold the trailer and gone back to towing a tire trailer behind my M3 track car.  End of the day tho, my practicality won out, the trailer stayed and I have a Cayenne...

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/22/18 9:15 a.m.
markwemple said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

What don't you get about ricer. That doesn't mean Japanese, it means boy racer nonsense. And vettes are not quality cars, nor do I like the driving dynamics. Same with pony cars, poor build quality and poor driving dynamics. There are a lot of cars that are "fast" but suck to drive.

And that awesome plastic interior in the 996 is high-quality?

I guess I'm not understanding the point of this thread.  If you want a 996, buy a 996, they are great cars and I'd love to own one myself some day.  Other than that, all I've seen you do is E36 M3 on everything else.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/22/18 9:32 a.m.

I'd second the recommendation of the BMW Z3-- M coupe.   Get an earlier one with the S52 engine and it's maintenance costs will be lower than the Porsche.   They are also more involving  to drive, and the build quality is at least on par with the 996.  

Extremely nice examples can be found for around $20K.   They are also more distinctive and more rare than a 996--- which  kind of blends into the scenery.   

Since you seem to favor de Germans...... you may also want to put the Audi TT RS on your radar.   Not sure how much they have depreciated, but they'd have the build quality, and a much nicer interior than the Porsche.   Maintenance could be an issue though.....as it's an Audi.  

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
2/22/18 9:43 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

Plastic interior? Have you ever been in a 996? My interior has very little in the way of plastic surfaces. Less than a 997 or a 991. It is simple, yes. But so are all the air cooled. FWIW, plastic doesn't necessarily mean bad. Now, fit, finish, reliability are indicators of quality. I will say that Porsche, like all other german cars, suck at wood trim.

The Z coupe is an interesting option in M trim. That one slipped my mind,

chaparral
chaparral Dork
2/22/18 9:57 a.m.

V36 Skyline (G37)

I've driven both it and a 996. It's the closest you'll get.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/22/18 10:27 a.m.

Define ricer?

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
2/22/18 10:37 a.m.

Those M coupe seats are the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in.  Major back pain in short order.  Rest of the car is a hoot tho and good ones will only be going up in value.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/22/18 10:38 a.m.
markwemple said:

Plastic interior? Have you ever been in a 996? My interior has very little in the way of plastic surfaces. Less than a 997 or a 991. It is simple, yes. But so are all the air cooled. FWIW, plastic doesn't necessarily mean bad. Now, fit, finish, reliability are indicators of quality. I will say that Porsche, like all other german cars, suck at wood trim.

Yes, plenty.  It's a typical early 2000s interior with a lot of painted plastic where the paint wears off.  You're telling me that the majority of this isn't plastic?

I guess I just get tired of the myth of German quality.  I've owned plenty of German, American, and Japanese cars, and other than a few standouts, I don't think any of them have a big advantage anymore.  20+ years ago, yes.  The C5 had a crap interior.  But so did the E36, IMO.  The 996 was fine for it's era, but not nearly as nice as, say an Audi on the inside.

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
2/22/18 11:39 a.m.

Yall about to get Markwemple started lmao 

BoxheadCougarTim
BoxheadCougarTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/18 11:47 a.m.

Depends - mine had the full leather interior and that was a reasonably nice (but somewhat creaky) place to be. OTOH if you have the full leather interior you have to deal with the leather lifting off the dash eventually.

I had a couple of 911s - a C3.2 and the 996 - and while I like them, there are plenty of other interesting cars out there, too. But if you wanna go 911, then you gotta go 911.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/22/18 11:53 a.m.

It’s just a typical Wemple troll thread. 

Anyone singing the praises of the 996 interior quality is obviously pulling your leg. Everyone loves to crap on the saggy, fried-egg headlights. But the horrible interior was the true crime with that platform. Neither sporty nor luxurious. Feels like a Nissan Maxima. Hard to believe Porsche got it so wrong. 

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
2/22/18 11:58 a.m.

Gotta admit, back in late '09 I was looking at getting a 996 GT3.  I drove a friends GT3 and while the performance was amazing, I was *stunned* at how crappy the interior was.  Especially on a car that was a 6 figure car, the interior was much worse than the one in the E46 M3 I had at the time.  And the E46 M3 interior wasn't nearly as nice as the Audi S4 interiors too. 

Loads of creaky plastic that wasn't holding up well and looked crappy.  I passed on buying the GT3, which I kick myself about all the damn time, since they were $45k back then and are $75k now...

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
2/22/18 12:10 p.m.
BoxheadCougarTim said:

Depends - mine had the full leather interior and that was a reasonably nice (but somewhat creaky) place to be. OTOH if you have the full leather interior you have to deal with the leather lifting off the dash eventually.

I had a couple of 911s - a C3.2 and the 996 - and while I like them, there are plenty of other interesting cars out there, too. But if you wanna go 911, then you gotta go 911.

Completely agree. For the 996 it is all about how it is spec'd. Full leather makes it much nicer inside. Bonus if it has the sport steering wheel, sport seats, carbon trim, etc..

Just know you will never find a 996 that is spec'd exactly how you would want it.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/22/18 12:32 p.m.

Just for clarification. He already owns a 996. I think he has the typical lust for something different we all get from time to time. 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
2/22/18 2:06 p.m.

On my car, the majority is leather and the rest soft touch plastic. On a A C 911, the majority of the interior was vinyl. Plastic vs vinyl.....hmmmmm. Oh and what was the dash on my Suburban, plastic, F250, Plastic. Sienna, plastic. Peugeot, plastic. I can go on and on. I see it as pointless. I want the driver's feel. 

I will say, I have a wood option that really does break up the interior just enough. And Mine is savana beige. Maybe that helps. 

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
2/22/18 2:08 p.m.

In reply to LanEvo :

I am not trolling. Heck, your post is trolling, in my opinion. I like the simplicity of the 996 interior. A driver's car should be simple. If you want luxury, buy a Jag or a Rolls.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
2/22/18 2:09 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

You know I'm always running. Don't have to do anything to get me started. LOL

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
2/22/18 2:12 p.m.

A reality for me is I'd love another UrQ but I wouldn't want to depend on one daily. Just love the feel of that car and the sound!. It may be, in some ways, the opposite of a 911 but it's pure in it's intention. A jag E-type would be great too, but just imagine DDing that. Eeeeek!

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
2/22/18 8:10 p.m.

Golf R? Yep I went there...

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
2/22/18 8:16 p.m.

With some extra hp, hmmm....

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/22/18 9:22 p.m.
markwemple said:

And, I'll admit it. I HATE!!!! the sound of an american V8. Seriously, I hate it. Always have. 

Don't go to Saudi then.  The Kingdom has the most asininely loud packs of Mustangs and Camaros I've ever heard.  They make Houston sound like a golf course.

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
2/22/18 9:34 p.m.

And I really shouldn't just dis american v8s. In some ways, Mercedes v8s sound worse.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pRhflQwrII3EdD5tCjXVBEidWQkXzRKKDK3CTlPkXKmvKmQvg5axE0H7ILkokc3G