1 2
stroker
stroker PowerDork
3/16/23 2:56 p.m.

I see remarkably little comment on anyone using or building a Porsche V8 in their project.  Can't remember ever seeing anyone restoring/restifying/hot rodding a 928, for example.  Is that primarily because their too berkleying expensive or that they don't do anything a good old 'Murican V8 won't do for a whole bunch less money?  Something else?

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/16/23 3:13 p.m.

This makes me wonder if anyone has ever put a Cayenne TTV8 in an old 928...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/16/23 4:05 p.m.

Best P car V8 story I know of is one being taken out of a Cayenne and put into a DP to win the Daytona 24 hour.  

Other than that...

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Dork
3/16/23 4:44 p.m.
mblommel said:

This makes me wonder if anyone has ever put a Cayenne TTV8 in an old 928...

There was an engineless 928 for auction near me a few months ago and I looked into that. I couldn't find anyone who had done it and found a bunch threads on 928 boards asking the same question. Everyone said the intake manifold in both the NA and turbo V8s were way too tall to fit in the 928, but I'm not sure I believe them, the 928 has a fairly tall intake manifold and nobody had done any actual measurements, just speculation.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
3/16/23 4:47 p.m.

I think it's the $ of entry that scares folks away.  By all accounts they seem to be pretty solid.  There's a 1995 928 locally with a twin turbo setup that is apparently bonkers.  I unknowingly upset the guy by complementing how clean he had kept an 80's car.  I had no clue that made them so long.

On the transmission cost and quality alone I avoid them.  I have enough 40Yr old german goofiness to complicate my life as is.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/17/23 1:16 p.m.
alfadriver said:

Best P car V8 story I know of is one being taken out of a Cayenne and put into a DP to win the Daytona 24 hour.  

Other than that...

You beat me to it. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/23 1:22 p.m.

Cramped engine bay means no real room to do the normal power upgrades.  There are twin turbo setups that people have made, which leads to...

Weak drivetrains.  Most were autos, the one twin turbo setup I am thinking of had a manual, it can shear 5th gear by rolling into the throttle, and it is making only 750hp. IiRC he bought the last new 5th gear set in the world and was hoping to have it duplicated in stronger materials.

Heavy chassis with no motorsports pedigree.

The biggest issue is that it is a Porsche that isn't a 911 so people don't care about it.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/17/23 1:50 p.m.

Non-runner 928s are so cheap it makes it tempting. The original 928 with phone dials has always been cool to me.

What rear end center section do they use stock? Could a 2016-up Mustang 8.8 be made to work? OR Camaro OR Dodge Challenger/Charger. With a welder anything fits I guess. 

As far as transmissions go, adapter plate to a decent manual seems the way to go.

I'd love to WATCH someone do this. 

Trent
Trent PowerDork
3/17/23 2:01 p.m.

In reply to mblommel :

You have misjudged the 928 drivetrain. It is a torque tube to a rear mounted transaxle. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
3/17/23 2:09 p.m.

I talked with a guy briefly who owned a shop that did nothing but V8 Porsches.

Supposedly they're a bit of a bear to work on, not the fastest or best handling of the breed but just a good GT car for long highway trips.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/23 2:10 p.m.

I'll sell my Cayenne cheap if any of you crazies wants to use its V8 in a swap.  Doubly so if you want my cheap Boxster to put it into...

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/23 2:12 p.m.

This, 542 hp with all the German complexity you can imagine, for $19k used. 

Porsche reveals new 542bhp V8 petrol engine | Autocar

Or this. 650 hp, with the simplicity of a GM V8, for $18k with a 24 month 50k mile warranty. 

cp-2017-engines-detail-lt4-tech-specs-1280x720

I know which way I would go. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
3/17/23 2:13 p.m.

I remember a street rod that had a 928  V8 in it , but that was in the 90s

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/17/23 2:55 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

If all it was is drop it in and hook it up.?   
   But adapting and converting, etc etc etc. suddenly you have thousands and thousands of dollars spent just getting it working I mean do you adapt the Pushrod engine to the Porsche  transmission or buy a GM transmission to go behind the pushrod engine?  Then motor mounts and wiring,  HVAC. And gauges etc.  

I'm no Porsche lover.  But the work involved seems massive.  And expensive.  
   A balls out race car?   Maybe, but would it be accepted?   

Toyman!
3/17/23 3:17 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

A piece of plate and a driveshaft are all it would take to adapt the GM engine to the Porsche torque tube. Of course, the 928 trans would probably explode so you could just steal the torque tube and 6 speed out of the Vette. 

I can't even imagine trying to make modern Porsche electronics play with an old Porsche whereas the GM electronics have been tinkered with by everyone with a multimeter, a laptop, and a copy of HP tuners. The LS is going to be closer to drop it in and hook it up than a twin-turbo 4.8 even if the 4.8 bolts up. 

Dead simple, more hp, more reliable, and easily adapted because the engine has literally been put in everything. As much as I love turbo boosted cars, I'll take the LS.

dps214
dps214 SuperDork
3/17/23 3:22 p.m.
Trent said:

In reply to mblommel :

You have misjudged the 928 drivetrain. It is a torque tube to a rear mounted transaxle. 

On a related note, I'd guess that part of the problem is that it's completely its own design, unrelated to any other porsche model. Like if it was 944 based there would be some aftermarket for them, or a relatively simple path to a manual conversion at least.

Pete. (l33t FS)
3/17/23 3:41 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Would that be the engine family that apparently is known for being bad right off the delivery truck in production vehicles, and requiring disassembly and rebuild in crate form?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/17/23 3:56 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Toyman!
3/17/23 4:09 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Dude, the entire point of this thread was to discuss an engine swap. I was far enough off topic for suggesting an LS instead of the TT 4.8 in the OP. If you believe swaps are a waste of time, why are you in here wasting precious internet bandwidth? 

For the last 6-8 months your posts have been getting further and further from the topics at hand and more and more bizarre. If you are taking any meds, have your doctor check them. I'm worried you are being overdosed. 

boulder_dweeb
boulder_dweeb Reader
3/17/23 5:19 p.m.

Based on Frenchy's verbosity....I vote for under dosed....

Rog

nlevine
nlevine GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/17/23 5:28 p.m.

In reply to dps214 :

The 928 was available with a manual transmission.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
3/17/23 5:40 p.m.

A very interesting part of the  928 v8 is that it has the same bore spacing as a big block Chevy.

Pete. (l33t FS)
3/17/23 6:29 p.m.

In reply to MotorsportsGordon :

And people have exploited this to make OHC Chevys.  They don't make any more power, but the neato factor is right on up there.

Pete. (l33t FS)
3/17/23 6:31 p.m.
nlevine said:

In reply to dps214 :

The 928 was available with a manual transmission.

FINDING a manual trans, though, is not simple.  Manual trans production rates were C4 Corvette-like, maybe even lower, and Porsche made far fewer 928s than Chevy made Corvettes.  Worldwide production of 928s from the late 70s to 1995 is only a little more than the production of 1984 Corvettes.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/17/23 6:50 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

I remember a street rod that had a 928  V8 in it , but that was in the 90s

Boyd built it

edit: maybe he didn't, that's what I was remembering 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kaHJ6Z2SEawExb5U8ZXDJK7S47Kf2GfdawVJgNIlVsEzWWXSTwyQynAMw16rGUyJ