1 2
neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
12/8/12 4:32 p.m.

I'm at an impasse on a brake job on a Dakota. The front rotor is stuck to the hub. No amount of hammering, penetrating spray, ect. has worked. Using a puller has only resulted in breaking off the edge of the rotor. What is the next step?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/12 4:35 p.m.

Scrape the rust out of the bell of the rotor and apply lots of air hammer.

If that is too boring, the fast way is to smack the friction surface with a 10lb sledge. Should only take one or two hits to break the bell off of the hub face. Then the rotor should come the rest of the way off.

That's basically the ONLY way F-150 4x4 rotors come off.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/12 4:38 p.m.

A little PB Blaster, time, heat and a sledge

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
12/8/12 4:40 p.m.

Using a thin cut off wheel make cut across the face all the way over to the other face. Make the cut 1/2 as thick as the metal, then try to get it to crack along the grove

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
12/8/12 4:55 p.m.

Bigger hammer. Eventually you'll either get it off or destroy everything. Either way, the rotor will no longer be the problem that it is currently. It's worked for me in the past.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
12/8/12 5:09 p.m.

Agreed bigger hammer. This kind of torture is why I have a 4# mini sledge BFH.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
12/8/12 5:16 p.m.

Worst case, cut it off so you just have the top of the "hat" stuck to the hub, then get out a good air chisel (like a CP 714)and peel it off. All this hammering may damage the wheel bearing, so check it after pulling the hub.

Coat the new rotors hub contact surface with antiseize.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
12/8/12 6:08 p.m.

2 x4 and a sledge removed the front rotor off my truck. You have to use the right combination of swear words too.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
12/8/12 6:38 p.m.

PB Blaster and the biggest hammer you can find. Make sure to eat our Wheaties!

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
12/8/12 7:07 p.m.

I've had this same issue over the hears as a tech. penetrating oil, let it sit while you take a dump. Then put a lug nut 1/2 the way on, then hammer on the friction surface like there's no tomorrow. I wear ear plugs, cuz it can get loud. There's really no other way. Pullers will just be grabbing rust, or possibly just brake the outter friction surface from the vanes.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
12/8/12 7:19 p.m.

Put it back together with the wheel on it but the lugs not tightened all the way. Hit 5 mph and slam the brakes. Do it a couple times.

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior Reader
12/8/12 7:32 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost: I did this one previously on a VERY rusted 2.5rs rotor, used a small hand sledge and beat it like it owed me money. It evenutually came off after that, cleaned the hub a ton, threw a bit of antiseize behind it...hopefully next time it doesn't happen. Happy thoughts, happy thoughts.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
12/8/12 8:14 p.m.
Lesley wrote: 2 x4 and a sledge removed the front rotor off my truck. You have to use the right combination of swear words too.

I find some conbination of "Heartless mother berkeleyin slut whore vajajay vajajay vajajay berkeley" works best for me.

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
12/8/12 8:28 p.m.

took 2 hrs+, a can of PB Blaster, and a 5# hammer ( each side ) to get the calipers off the front of my rust bucket F150 4x4 ... the rotors were actually dust ... but the calipers

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/8/12 9:29 p.m.
44Dwarf wrote: Using a thin cut off wheel make cut across the face all the way over to the other face. Make the cut 1/2 as thick as the metal, then try to get it to crack along the grove

had to do that to my wife's cavalier when we were still dating. her brother had done the brakes last time and "figured he wouldnt bother with anti-seize because she's trade it in by the time it needed new rotors" - dork.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/8/12 10:04 p.m.

This is part of why I like living in California. Never used anti-seize on a rotor, never had a rotor fail to come off (usually they just fall off in my hands).

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry HalfDork
12/8/12 10:05 p.m.

this.

http://youtu.be/mtsTJCRljAs

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
12/8/12 10:08 p.m.

Is it a 2wd or 4wd? What year?

Ist gen trucks (87-96) use a one piece hub/rotor on 2wd trucks and a separate rotor and hub on 4wd trucks. Unsure of later model trucks.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/8/12 10:13 p.m.

I like the miata rotors with a threaded hole in the rotor to thread a bolt in and press it off the hub.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
12/8/12 10:19 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: Is it a 2wd or 4wd? What year? Ist gen trucks (87-96) use a one piece hub/rotor on 2wd trucks and a separate rotor and hub on 4wd trucks. Unsure of later model trucks.

97-up are slip on rotors like a 4x4 even for 2wd's...

motomoron
motomoron Dork
12/8/12 10:53 p.m.

Heat induced differential expansion does the trick every time. If you have or have access to oxy-acetylene it's best, but a MAPP gas will do.

Apply max torch in a continuously moving circle around the face of the rotor hat. Keep at it til it's hot. If you have an infrared pyrometer 400 degrees F isn't too hot. Then hit the rotor with a hammer of at least 4 pounds, hard.

Don't work your way up to it. Just get the outer edge of the middle really hot, and hit the outer face of the rotor like you mean it, once.

It should fall off.

EDIT: I reread and saw "Dakota". If you could the rotor failed before extraction, I'd guess it's integrated hub/rotor.If you fustigated the living bejeezus out of it with a hammer the wheel bearings are toast now too. Did you look at an assembly view before starting if you'd never had it apart before?

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
12/8/12 11:02 p.m.

Those stock Dakota rotors are crap - I replaced mine with stainless slotted ones. The stockers are prone to what I call "rotor ripple" - freaking warping.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
12/8/12 11:13 p.m.

She said ripple... lols

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/12 11:56 p.m.

What you did there.....I see it.

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
12/9/12 5:51 a.m.

I just did brakes all the way around on my 07 F350. The rotors came off like butter. In fact the front right had a big crack in it all ready. The rears came off easy because my backing plates crumpled like burnt toast. Should 5 year old backing plates rust away like that? I don't even plow with the truck.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e0Hlruuzookynqy4CyzchioMNP2OiyBlZEWTyMRaxqHXD3YBl2pnTr2AEotJJKOV