HippieWagon
HippieWagon New Reader
11/9/16 8:09 p.m.

Hey folks! Back story: Bought a $1000 Baja Bug and am scrambling to prep it to run in the Detroit Region race this weekend. Need a quick consult on my current windshield though.

Sorry for the dark pics! Its cracked top to bottom on the passenger side. It does not impair vision, and the rules do not mention windshields at all actually. I just want a second opinion, especially someone in Detroit Region RallyX.

Thanks for the help!

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/9/16 8:22 p.m.

I think it's one of the "tech inspector's discretion" type of things (i.e. a general safety rule). If it doesn't impair vision, you shouldn't have a problem.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/9/16 8:25 p.m.

The detroit region has a rule about no cracked windshields. They may let it run the first time but it has to be fixed after that.

I'm sure Matt will be along soon but you may want to post it on the Detroit Rallycross facebook page and see what they think.

Matt_the_Wolfe
Matt_the_Wolfe New Reader
11/10/16 10:09 a.m.

Taken care of! Couldn't pass it due to multiple large cracks. Hopefully replacements aren't too hard to source

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/10/16 11:55 a.m.

Personally, I wouldn't let that pass tech because it is multiple cracks in one spot. A single line crack would be fine.

I spent something like $600 to replace a single line crack windshield so I could run my Volvo with Detroit. And $400 in tires... for one event. I think I spent less money to go to Nationals.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
11/10/16 12:33 p.m.

Lexan. done.

HippieWagon
HippieWagon New Reader
11/10/16 12:46 p.m.

In reply to Matt_the_Wolfe:

Thanks for the quick response! Luckily I live really close to a VW parts shop that stocks the weird air cooled stuff I keep asking them for.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
11/10/16 4:23 p.m.

Where does one get lexan for windows? And do We cut it or farm out?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/10/16 4:32 p.m.
Jerry wrote: Lexan. done.

Not legal except in Mod, and only if you have a full roll cage.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yEcqIZqVXxvdPAHYMC3rHxmC5OX4BSzPXAJlCSd3FOeotjf9ZrIF67aLodq4Hcch