1 2
93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/1/11 1:40 p.m.

Is there any reason to choose one over the other? I am kinda looking at the '70s and up models.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
9/1/11 1:57 p.m.

No reason other than personal preference I guess. They both have their shortcomings. By the time the 70s rolled around, I didn't much care for either.

If I were shopping for a Trar-class vehicle, I'd want-

59 or 60 El Camino
or
60 to 65 Ranchero
or
68 to 72 El Camino
or
78 to 82 Subaru BRAT
or
82 to 84 Dodge Rampage

That may or may not be any help to you, but I had to let it out.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
9/1/11 1:58 p.m.

Parts availibility would be the biggest factor for me. If you're looking at a 70-72 model, the El Camino would be a fist-choice candidate. 73-77 model years - good luck. 78-87, better but not as good as the 70-72's.

Ranchero's never had quite the same production numbers; parts may be a bigger issue.

Do your research and buy the best one you can afford. Good luck and have fun.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/1/11 2:00 p.m.

In reply to Tom Heath:

The Brat and Rampage won't do what I want it be able to do.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/1/11 2:02 p.m.

In reply to oldsaw:

I thought the 78-87 El Camino would have the best parts availability since it is a G-body. Learn something new everyday.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
9/1/11 2:14 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

G-bodies are newer but have never had the benefit of collector-status and the support of aftermarket suppliers. The attention is focused on the earlier A-body (64-72)models because that's where the demand has always been centered.

Relatively low demand for G-body parts, combined with cost-effective access to GM licensing, available parts and the huge number of discontinued parts all make big hurdles for potential owners.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/1/11 2:21 p.m.
oldsaw wrote: In reply to 93EXCivic: G-bodies are newer but have never had the benefit of collector-status and the support of aftermarket suppliers. The attention is focused on the earlier A-body (64-72)models because that's where the demand has always been centered. Relatively low demand for G-body parts, combined with cost-effective access to GM licensing, available parts and the huge number of discontinued parts all make big hurdles for potential owners.

Are those part problems most exterior and trim parts? I know there are tons of suspension parts available for G-bodies and I figure there is never any problem finding SBC parts.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
9/1/11 2:40 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

Yeah, the restoration-oriented bits would be the biggest problem.

For anyone who doesn't care about missing trim or is cool with fabbing substitutes, I say go for it. Keep in mind that may include a lot of electrical bits and various other sundry bits that may interfere with road-legality and registration.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/1/11 2:42 p.m.

I am not looking for anything pretty looking. It is going to get dirtbikes and wood thrown in the back. The G-bodies seem to the cheapest. I wish I had of had the money for the '70 I saw a few weeks ago for $1000.

Graefin10
Graefin10 HalfDork
9/1/11 2:50 p.m.

Look no furthur, this is what you need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LcR0RnFbPk

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
9/1/11 2:52 p.m.

I always look to my role models for guidance

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
9/1/11 3:11 p.m.

This is mine, 72 one year only "fishmouth" the year they went back to a full frame, coil over rear end, 9" in all of them.

Photobucket

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
9/1/11 3:34 p.m.

I've always liked the Fairlane Rancheros.

I contemplated getting one as a Bronco replacement, but didn't think they'd freeway cruise all that well considering the lack of overdrive.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
9/1/11 4:25 p.m.

Never used to give rancheros a second glance - always thought they were ugly - but I don't think I realized how many variations and body styles there were. There's some interesting hardware even if it's not a very good truck or a very good car.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/1/11 4:29 p.m.

In reply to oldtin:

You skipped '64-'65! I had a '64, and I miss it a little sometimes... Not mine:

DavidinDurango
DavidinDurango Reader
9/1/11 5:38 p.m.

For Sale http://public.fotki.com/The_Pope/ranchero/

260 4 speed survivor. PM me.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/1/11 6:49 p.m.

It looks like Rancheros are cheaper.

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
9/1/11 6:59 p.m.

One thing to think about:

after 1972, the Ranchero got big (on the outside) and to many folks, UGLIER than sin. That can help you if you want one cheap. BTW, the later Rancheros weren't as popular as the El...so it's harder to find one.

I like these (both of them) but would buy a post '64 model of the Chevy or Ford and the year would depend on taste...or in your case, perhaps, price. '80- '87 Els are thick on the ground in some southern states....keeping prices for "average" condition trucks low.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/1/11 7:13 p.m.

I am just going to save money until the right deal falls in my lap.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
9/1/11 7:39 p.m.

If you build it, they will come ....

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
9/1/11 7:51 p.m.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
9/1/11 8:22 p.m.
Graefin10 wrote: Look no furthur, this is what you need. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LcR0RnFbPk

I could go for one of these. Wonder what the tow rating would be?

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/2/11 3:33 p.m.

I am somewhat amazed at how cheap 68-72 El Caminos are in Northern California as compared to Chevelles.I see decent looking El Caminos for a few grand, complete wrecks of Chevelles are $15K.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro New Reader
9/2/11 4:44 p.m.

El Caminos tend to be about 1/2 the price of a Chevelle in equal condition, so there are good deals on them out there.

68-72 have the best parts selection, with 64-67 the next best parts selection. 73-77 would have the worst parts availability (almost non-existent).

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/11 5:19 p.m.

I'll just leave this here:

Gorillaz "Stylo"

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VBVCTbwrchmsUcp9nHdzGondf39YGzUi08WDSjYLBpZ46cjt0imtt2nzooyrWP0R