1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/14 9:30 a.m.

The hinges are just for the tube, so it's the same as bending the axle except it's adjustable.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
9/4/14 9:38 a.m.

Nascars run a little camber on the rear. They use a full floating axle and the little slop in the drive plate allows for it with out stressing the axle. wheel bearings are a non issue.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb New Reader
9/4/14 9:44 a.m.

What if you turned the tubes of a front axle 90 degrees so that the tie rods were on top, then do fixed tie rod mounts like in the original post, and used these tie rods to adjust your camber?

Will
Will SuperDork
9/4/14 9:44 a.m.

In reply to iceracer:

And if I remember right, Bill Elliott was the first to do it back in 92. He won 4 in a row before anyone figured it out.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
9/4/14 9:48 a.m.
iceracer wrote: Nascars run a little camber on the rear. They use a full floating axle and the little slop in the drive plate allows for it with out stressing the axle. wheel bearings are a non issue.

huh never knew that, after a quick google search i found this, seems to explain it pretty well, although it never says what the total camber is when everything is said and done, it does say though that they are only moving it by thousandths of an inch

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
9/4/14 9:50 a.m.
gearheadmb wrote: What if you turned the tubes of a front axle 90 degrees so that the tie rods were on top, then do fixed tie rod mounts like in the original post, and used these tie rods to adjust your camber?

not to bust your balls but that is literally what the first post says haha

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/4/14 10:04 a.m.

http://www.quartermasterusa.com/qm/components/drive-flangeshtml/

Here you go. This is what NASCAR uses. One of the forum members here may have engineered these exact flanges.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
9/4/14 10:15 a.m.

As I recall, the camber thing was getting out of hand so Nascar put a limit on it.

something like 1.5 degrees I believe.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
9/4/14 10:17 a.m.

Just use one of those awful Mercedes swingaxle rear ends. Set the camber and weld something to it to hold it where you want it

gearheadmb
gearheadmb New Reader
9/4/14 10:20 a.m.
edizzle89 wrote:
gearheadmb wrote: What if you turned the tubes of a front axle 90 degrees so that the tie rods were on top, then do fixed tie rod mounts like in the original post, and used these tie rods to adjust your camber?
not to bust your balls but that is literally what the first post says haha

Ahhh you are correct sir. Reading comprehension is failing me today. Carry on.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
9/4/14 10:37 a.m.

well if they are able to get 1.5 degrees of camber out of it then that probably defeats my idea haha thanks for all the info guys!

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/4/14 10:41 a.m.
Ditchdigger wrote: Just use one of those awful Mercedes swingaxle rear ends. Set the camber and weld something to it to hold it where you want it

I thought about a smiliar thing.. Just "fix" a VW swing axle rear end.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/4/14 12:11 p.m.

I was just talking about this on here the other day when somebody needed a really narrow rear end(use two short axles/tubes).

Its actually easier than that, most of those modern ball joint 4x4 front ends have or have available offset ball joints to adjust camber. For bigger changes, cut(completely to avoid stressing the u joints) and weld the tubes to get it close then use the clockable ball joints to fine tune. Use the tie rods to play with toe.

What you outlined wouldn't work, the tie rods would be marginal at best strength wise in tension(on bottom), and definitely too weak on top(compression).

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/4/14 1:01 p.m.
iceracer wrote: As I recall, the camber thing was getting out of hand so Nascar put a limit on it. something like 1.5 degrees I believe.

The rule book limits the camber allowed to about 2degrees for some of the lower series and 3+ degrees for the Cup series. There is also some toe adjustment involved in there. The original bent axle tubes found the upper limit of the standard axle splines at about 4degrees (catastrophically).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NwxMcwAiUyDunCQwxISH3NjbqaBIJd0kKbDZZLdJthpiuNjqb7uZcV6nLn1chZEc