1 2 3 4 5
ratghia
ratghia Reader
5/9/10 2:41 p.m.

I got around to installing my USRT shift kit and my Tehctonics Tuning short shift lever. I used the hole for 31% reduction in throw because that was what I thought gave the best feel. The USRT kit was very easy to install and was very high quality. The shifting now feels tight and precise. they make this kit for a mk1, mk2, or mk3 and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

I also bought an original Kamei golf ball shift knob to replace my broken GTI one.

Mykul
Mykul New Reader
5/9/10 3:15 p.m.

Very cool! I wish I could have kept my Scirocco. The apartment magager was having a fit because I had four cars.

mrhappy
mrhappy New Reader
5/20/10 4:39 p.m.

Any new updates?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi New Reader
5/20/10 9:03 p.m.

Looking good, the USRT linkage makes a world of difference. I daily mine when something isn't broken....

ratghia
ratghia Reader
7/15/10 3:20 p.m.

I've just been doing basic little things on the car. I decided to try and fix the car's low idle. I used a dwell meter and the lambda test port to adjust the a/f ratio. The car was running a little lean. I then set the idle and the car seems much happier. I also found that the WOT switch had the connectors filled with gunk and wasn't working. I put new connectors on the wires and now the switch is working.

My dad and I have started trying to figure out what bodywork needs to be done before the car can be painted. I want to paint the car and put the original style decals and side trim back on the car. I also want to find a nice set of GTI bumpers for the car or get a set of euro bumpers for it. I also want to get a set of new wheels and lower the car. I have decided to just put off working on the Ghia untill after college, and I want to make this a small project to get a clean dd.

A few months ago I saw a Corrado with a Momo Benetton wheel in it and I liked because it was strange and a little different. I jokingly said that if I ever saw one for sale I would buy it, then a few weeks ago I found one and I did buy it. It is nos from 1993.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
7/17/10 11:36 p.m.
ratghia wrote: I've just been doing basic little things on the car. I decided to try and fix the car's low idle. I used a dwell meter and the lambda test port to adjust the a/f ratio. The car was running a little lean. I then set the idle and the car seems much happier. I also found that the WOT switch had the connectors filled with gunk and wasn't working. I put new connectors on the wires and now the switch is working. My dad and I have started trying to figure out what bodywork needs to be done before the car can be painted. I want to paint the car and put the original style decals and side trim back on the car. I also want to find a nice set of GTI bumpers for the car or get a set of euro bumpers for it. I also want to get a set of new wheels and lower the car. I have decided to just put off working on the Ghia untill after college, and I want to make this a small project to get a clean dd. A few months ago I saw a Corrado with a Momo Benetton wheel in it and I liked because it was strange and a little different. I jokingly said that if I ever saw one for sale I would buy it, then a few weeks ago I found one and I did buy it. It is nos from 1993.

Rat, the guys with Mk.3 Harlequins go almost postal over a Momo Benetton. Not saying you should sell it, but in the right market, you might make enough to pay for everything else..

ratghia
ratghia Reader
7/19/10 2:42 p.m.

My plan was to run the steering wheel for a little bit until it got old then sell it for a profit. I got a good deal on it, and paid much less for it then a new Momo wheel would cost.

friedgreencorrado
7/20/10 1:41 a.m.
ratghia wrote: My plan was to run the steering wheel for a little bit until it got old then sell it for a profit. I got a good deal on it, and paid much less for it then a new Momo wheel would cost.

Coolness. Sounds like you're moving in the right direction!

ratghia
ratghia Reader
7/20/10 9:15 a.m.

I ordered my wheels. I know they aren't an original idea and they are reps but I still like the look. I got 15x7 because I think 16's look too big on a mk1. Hopefully they will get here sometime next week. Now I just need to get tires.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
7/20/10 9:46 a.m.

i hart meshies - will look good in 15s.

ratghia
ratghia Reader
8/4/10 2:50 p.m.

Last Thursday the thermostat stuck shut and the water pump bearing went out again. Luckily as soon as I heard the noise coming from the bearing and saw the temp rise I was able to shut the car off and just coast down the hill to my house. Everything seems good but I'm still going to put a new head gasket on just to make sure. I also ordered all the parts to replace everything in the cooling system. Right now the water pump all the pulleys coolant hoses and the radiator are pulled out of the car and I'm just waiting on parts.

I got the hub for the steering wheel and now have it installed and I also got my new wheels today. I need to paint the red pinstripe around the grille again but it did last for a year.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
8/4/10 2:58 p.m.

oh mama, i want another!

friedgreencorrado
8/4/10 9:43 p.m.

Good to hear you're making progress. Going through the entire cooling system may be a PITA, but it'll make the thing more reliable in the long run.

bentvalve
bentvalve New Reader
8/4/10 10:51 p.m.

That really makes me miss my white 84 and even more so my silver 85 (still one of only two cars I ever bought brand new). One of these days I'll have another A2 GTI. Based on my 85 gti my Mom bought an 85 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition. It was nowhere near as fast as the Gti, but it sure was fun to horse around in with those little 13 inch tires begging for mercy.

The only trouble I ever had with the A1 was that it was quite literally unable to stop rusting. You could sit next to the car with a beer and watch the rust grow. That being said, I would rather watch an early Gti rust than drive most other cars. ttfn

ratghia
ratghia Reader
8/16/10 9:17 a.m.

I have everything back together but I am still waiting on the pulleys and alternator mounts that will let me not run the big a/c mount that the alternator mounts from. The owner before me pulled everything out but didn't do a real a/c delete. Yesterday I mounted tires on my new wheels. They aren't performance tires but they are brand new and free. I pulled them off a set of wheels I bought for the Karmann Ghia and they only have like 50 miles on them. In the spring I want to get a nice set of tires for the car.

I also pulled out the factory gauges in the panel in front of the shifter and put my own gauges in. I now have an oil temp, oil pressure, and water temp gauge. I like having gauges much more then just idiot lights on the dash. I also swapped the momo horn button for a blue one from an empi gt wheel I had. I painted the stripe on the grille to.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/16/10 10:00 a.m.

Its looking pretty stellar!

you may have already seen this, but here is an exerpt from one of the coolest build threads Ive seen in a while - the guy is ground up building his own MK1 mill, and doing some other various automotiveawesomeness freehand as well. THIS link is specifically about fixing up his grill and wheels too...

friedgreencorrado
8/16/10 10:56 a.m.

Coming along very nicely! Frustrating, but utimately satisfying to do it yourself, eh?

ratghia
ratghia Reader
9/8/10 5:56 p.m.

I’ve had the GTI back up and running for about 3 weeks now. I haven’t had any problems with the cooling system and the car has been running great.

I have decided that I’m going to turbo the car. I want to keep the factory CIS fuel system and I think I’ve started to buy the parts I need to make it work. I bought a used fuel distributor from a Volvo 240 turbo, but I haven’t gotten it yet so I don’t know if it is any good. I still need to find a boost sensitive WUR from a Volvo 240 turbo or an Audi 5000 turbo. I had a T3 from a Saab that needs rebuilt on my basement that I am planning on using. I’ve seen other people run the same turbo and it seems to work well.

I have a good Starion intercooler that I can use but I’ve read mixed things about them. It fits perfectly in the space I have for an intercooler and I cant seem to find anything else that would, but if I needed to I could make room. Does anybody have any experience with this intercooler or can tell me if it will be ok to use or not? I plan on running up to 1 bar, but less then that for daily driving.

TOZOVR
TOZOVR New Reader
9/9/10 9:34 a.m.

Love this thread.

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
9/9/10 10:58 a.m.

What no mention of the car being attacked by a Zebra over the weekend?? Aaron you are doing great work on this car and I am very proud of you! Cant wait to help you turbo it!

ratghia
ratghia Reader
9/9/10 12:22 p.m.

The blue headliner that I put in the car was starting to sag in the rear and was comming untucked around the window. The old real hatch seal also let water in the damaged the board the headliner was on.

I was going to redo the headliner in the same blue headliner material but all I could find was black, grey, or red. I decided that I would just do it with something a bit more fun for now untill I decode to do it correctly and can find the material

And yes I was able to upload the pics to photobucket and then post this all from my phone in a study hall.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/9/10 12:49 p.m.
I decided that I would just do it with something a bit more fun for now untill I decode to do it correctly and can find the material

LEAVE IT!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
9/9/10 12:49 p.m.

I can tell Im not supposed to like the zebra material, but seeing it with the MOMO wheel and aging 80s upholstery, for some reason, I have a big dumb grin on my face

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
9/9/10 1:43 p.m.

Pimptacular

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
9/9/10 2:02 p.m.

See, told you the guys would love it.... LOL

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uabfRAtWu3uIJ6UISBZRflsUzVsDn4FxTt8X2bq0DD65QVEYeCetl1WuapuFMYOF