1 2
nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/2/17 11:48 p.m.

Off-lease BMW i3's are just starting to hit the market. Used retail prices are starting from around $20K but I bet that the wholesale prices are much lower, and starting to fall.

What makes this intriguing is the massive amount of engineering this puts into the hands of a grassroots audience, including a Carbon (CFRP) passenger cell and body panels and a rear-engine aluminum 'roller skate' style chassis:

What an interesting project car this could make--either to modify the car as it is, or to toss the body and put the chassis under something else. Looking at some of the chassis photos makes me wonder... what does the roller skate weigh without the batteries and wiring? what engines might make an easy swap into the rear drive train area? How far could you go with lightweighting a car that's CRFP and aluminum?

Apparently, removing the battery pack is quick and easy:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/L6DVQnHQHPM

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/3/17 6:22 a.m.

Transverse ls4 in back, do wheelies

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/17 6:29 a.m.

The whole package is built around a really oddball wheel and tire. Neat engineering - they went with a very narrow, but large diameter tire, maintaining their desired contact patch while reducing their aero penalty. Still, i think there are two wheel sizes and maybe six tires.

It's not a deal breaker, but an interesting challenge.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
1/3/17 6:40 a.m.

The Internet tells me that the battery pack weighs 230kg or a bit over 500lbs. I wonder how removing it would affect the CoG.

physician
physician Reader
1/3/17 6:53 a.m.
Mike wrote: The whole package is built around a really oddball wheel and tire. Neat engineering - they went with a very narrow, but large diameter tire, maintaining their desired contact patch while reducing their aero penalty. Still, i think there are two wheel sizes and maybe six tires. It's not a deal breaker, but an interesting challenge.

It will needs wide fender flares. Make it group B box style. It's a deag increase hut fuel economy is not a priority there

collinskl1
collinskl1 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/3/17 7:07 a.m.

I spent a fair amount of time in these cars in my previous work life. They're interesting, and I want to hate them, but I can't. There was a ton of engineering put into the MCV platform.

The wheel and tire package would be a limiting factor if one was searching for more power. But box flares make everything awesome-er.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/3/17 8:51 a.m.
nderwater wrote:

They need those bearded guys to carry that thing around? Those germans need to hire an italian marketer.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/17 9:32 a.m.

I think the most interesting parts of the car are the battery pack and generator. The body isn't especially interesting for performance use because of its height, and the skateboard frame is nothing exotic.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/17 9:52 a.m.

Not exotic? What else uses one?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/17 10:20 a.m.

Kei trucks and the Chevy Bolt EV, off the top of my head.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
1/3/17 11:49 a.m.

Body goes on to become a turbo powered track car, chassis goes on to become a wicked go kart.

Keith Tanner
1/3/17 12:13 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Kei trucks and the Chevy Bolt EV, off the top of my head.

Still pretty exotic, then. EV Kei trucks aren't exactly thick on the ground in North America (and not street legal) and I don't think the Bolt has started shipping yet.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/3/17 12:23 p.m.

What are the wheelbase and width? These would help determine the cars suitable for a body swap.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/17 12:56 p.m.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/3/17 1:22 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: What are the wheelbase and width? These would help determine the cars suitable for a body swap.

101.2 inches...

Just shot an email to a friend, within 0.2 inches of an 80's camaro, but the BMW is almost 3 inches narrower. (dished wheels?)

So... a quick look for similar wheelbase returns...

E30

Jeep CJ-6

Pre-57 corvette

54/56 Ford (all but thunderbird aparrently)

Jag XJS

Nash Healey

XR4TI

At least that's what I am getting within an inch or so...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/3/17 2:45 p.m.

A 80s Crammit would blow minds.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/17 2:51 p.m.

My first thought was plop a beetle body on the skateboard but I'm thinking the body won't be long enough.

Google tells me it's like 7" difference between the too.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/3/17 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

https://www.copart.com/lotSearchResults/?free=true&query=I3

add whatever almost free 80's murdermobile (aka CRAMMIT) you can find...

Only problems are the vertical space reduction due to the battery pack and if the strut towers are low enough to clear the hood.

That really would blow some minds.

You could also do it with a Fox Mustang or an XR4TI...

WAIT!!!

I know exactly how it must be done!

Keith Tanner
1/3/17 4:29 p.m.
Mike wrote:

Duh. Which means we need a Manx body for the i3 'skate, stat!

kb58
kb58 Dork
1/3/17 4:44 p.m.

I vote Hayabusa drivetrain. Keeps it light and the sound would have the desired effect.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
1/3/17 5:16 p.m.

An i3 wheelbase is 101 inches, an E30 wheelbase is 101.2". With some slight fender massaging and some kind of subframe extension for the trunk area, I don't see why you couldn't have a BMW i-thirty.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
1/3/17 5:23 p.m.

If you can do without fenders, I'm sure you could drop the body of a Model A onto the i3's aluminum skateboard. Chop the roof, channel the body, paint it something beautifully obnoxious (maybe bass boat flake Emerald Green with a satin clearcoat), throw on some ludicrously low offset alloys, and show everyone the future of the hot rod.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/3/17 8:16 p.m.

In reply to kb58:

I think 5.2L of twin V8 based busa motors is the answer. Between 500-600HP driven to all 4 wheels. And spectacular noises.

Keith Tanner
1/3/17 9:27 p.m.

And at least $80k worth of engine alone!

kb58
kb58 Dork
1/3/17 9:56 p.m.

Yeah that's why I stuck with the pedestrian and reasonable 10,000 rpm choice. Reasonable results in something like this (a Smart Car but close enough) http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=hayabusa+smart+car&view=detail&mid=120A42B79652E600A0A8120A42B79652E600A0A8&FORM=VIRE

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Nu1GZWLciMqSZ1S34dcXsOuxG8veImKoj32rN7l8GiLHf7XvzBYAlMOgdMjUwtLz