1 2
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
3/27/17 11:22 a.m.
feature_image

There’s fast and there’s FAST–and then there’s your brain melting on the floor before you can experience even 50 percent of a car’s potential.

The Enviate Hypercar fits best in that third category. LoveFab owner and lead fabricator Cody Loveland masterminded this creation to dominate all other hillclimb and time trial cars. Such domination, Cody figures, requires a full chromoly …

Read the rest of the story

appliance_racer
appliance_racer Reader
3/27/17 11:31 a.m.

Does this things have any hardware in the trophy room yet? On paper it looks like it should send everybody else back to the drawing board.

Think the wife will go for one of these as my new daily?

Ed Higginbotham
3/27/17 11:35 a.m.

I don't believe so. They are running at Pike's Peak this year and (fingers crossed) are trying to get the car sorted in time for our UTCC.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
3/27/17 11:45 a.m.

Looking at that thing messes with my brain. Not sure if in a good way?

The0retical
The0retical Dork
3/27/17 11:55 a.m.

Wow... it's funny that 1 kg to 1 hp is considered worth bragging about in the car world. This thing effectively halves that.

Can't wait to see impressions at UTCC.

TiggerWelder
TiggerWelder Reader
3/27/17 12:09 p.m.

That thing is insane! love it!

STM317
STM317 Dork
3/27/17 12:18 p.m.

I'm pretty sure they had a version of this car at PRI 2 years ago. I've always wondered what had happened to it since then. Sounds like it's still progressing toward some actual lap times!

Ed Higginbotham
3/27/17 12:26 p.m.

Speaking of UTCC, we're still accepting entries. So anyone who wants to get into the field and into the magazine is welcome to join. Just fill out this form.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
3/27/17 12:27 p.m.

Can I get it with brake lights and turn signals.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
3/27/17 12:31 p.m.

Wow, that's wild.

none
none HalfDork
3/27/17 12:32 p.m.

Better than roo bars on a road train.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/17 12:32 p.m.

Because it doesn't have Apple Car Play, I am going to pass. And because I can't afford it.

Schrödinger's Flight Service
Schrödinger's Flight Service MegaDork
3/27/17 12:39 p.m.

So does this mean that LoveFab reads GRM and has an account on the forum?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/17 1:01 p.m.
Schrödinger's Flight Service wrote: So does this mean that LoveFab reads GRM and has an account on the forum?

Also came to see if there was actually a reader's ride entry for the Enviate.

Ed Higginbotham
3/27/17 1:01 p.m.

They do read the magazine and Cody is definitely a part of our world. I don't know if they have a profile on our forum, though.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
3/27/17 1:41 p.m.

Somebody should do a challenge car as homage... like a skateboarded miata... with lots of bondo.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
3/27/17 1:45 p.m.
Trackmouse wrote: Somebody should do a challenge car as homage... like a skateboarded miata... with lots of bondo.

I think you could half-ass copy that body in coroplast if you're not real concerned about it being pretty. Or right.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
3/27/17 2:08 p.m.

I am fascinated by those front fender extrusion "fins". I'm sure they're there to help direct air where they want it, but it also looks like they would create a ton of drag due to their proximity to the front wing verticals.

edit- to clarify it looks like they would create an air pocket where the extrusions flare out into the fenders since the front wing verticals are there to prevent escape.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
3/27/17 3:01 p.m.

It presses all the right buttons, BUT ...that's got to be one of the ugliest race cars in existence.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/27/17 5:06 p.m.

I want to know how the suspension deals with all the downforce while maintaining proper ride height

HapDL
HapDL New Reader
3/27/17 6:24 p.m.

Put me in the ugly camp. It may have some numbers but good lord that thing is ugly. Race cars should be easy on the eyes though these days with all the aero bits tacked on and built in they rarely are. This car sets the ugly bar up a notch.

GameboyRMH
3/28/17 8:05 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: It presses all the right buttons, BUT ...that's got to be one of the ugliest race cars in existence.

Yep it's been getting technically awesomer but visually uglier from the time it started out as an NSX. The latest iteration of the bodywork is really not easy on the eyes. It looks a lot better naked.

Just more motivation to drive it faster!

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
3/28/17 9:11 a.m.

IMHO, it looks better naked:

Schrödinger's Flight Service
Schrödinger's Flight Service MegaDork
3/28/17 9:27 a.m.

Interesting shock set up to say the least.

GameboyRMH
3/28/17 10:11 a.m.
Schrödinger's Flight Service wrote: Interesting shock set up to say the least.

Not that exotic by racing standards - it's pushrods & bellcranks with a heave spring & damper.

The heave damper may actually be an inerter, you'd have to see it up close.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ne8OISEdpzprryhbnWCr4gOhBIKE1mdp4w39TNRQobbA45N5hciZAM65StzqrIt1