1 2 3
plance1
plance1 Dork
12/30/11 2:34 p.m.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=8d7dbecf-1dad-4dfe-b7fb-581f091990ef

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/30/11 2:37 p.m.

I thought the exact same thing. I guess some things never change.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Reader
12/30/11 2:40 p.m.

Um. Can't you hear the lack of a brake pad from inside the car?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/30/11 2:43 p.m.

Just think, the UAW wants GM to pay their "skilled workers" $50+ an hour to bolt on those calipers without even looking for pads or realizing that there's a stack of pads left behind in the box.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
12/30/11 2:47 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Just think, the UAW wants GM to pay their "skilled workers" $50+ an hour to bolt on those calipers without even looking for pads or realizing that there's a stack of pads left behind in the box.
The article says said: The Sonic is the only subcompact car built in the United States. GM moved production of the redesigned small car to Michigan after striking a plant-specific deal with the local union at the Orion Township factory. As part of the agreement, 40 percent of the plant's work force earn an entry-level wage, which starts at $15.78 an hour--well below the base $28-an-hour pay for veteran auto workers.
MA$$hole
MA$$hole Reader
12/30/11 2:47 p.m.

Ridiculous. I still don't see how the Sonic, Cruze, or Volt are going to help GM in any way.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance New Reader
12/30/11 2:52 p.m.

Atleast when the V6 Mustang snaps its driveshaft at 140 mph, there are brake pads to stop it.

J308
J308 New Reader
12/30/11 2:54 p.m.

If anything, this tells me how well designed it is to stop without a brake pad.

I lost the outboard pad on my E30, which promptly blew the caliper piston and all fluid out. ZERO brakes amigos.

Good looking out, Sonic Engineers!

Javelin
12/30/11 2:56 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
Javelin wrote: Just think, the UAW wants GM to pay their "skilled workers" $50+ an hour to bolt on those calipers without even looking for pads or realizing that there's a stack of pads left behind in the box.
The article says said: The Sonic is the only subcompact car built in the United States. GM moved production of the redesigned small car to Michigan after striking a plant-specific deal with the local union at the Orion Township factory. As part of the agreement, 40 percent of the plant's work force earn an entry-level wage, which starts at $15.78 an hour--well below the base $28-an-hour pay for veteran auto workers.

And the morons don't even deserve the $15+.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
12/30/11 2:56 p.m.
MA$$hole wrote: Ridiculous. I still don't see how the Sonic, Cruze, or Volt are going to help GM in any way.

I can understand the Volt. But why don't you think the Cruze or Sonic aren't going to help Chevy? Both are about a million times better then the cars they replaced.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
12/30/11 3:05 p.m.

should have done more than designed them in Korea.....

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/30/11 3:09 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote: Um. Can't you hear the lack of a brake pad from inside the car?

I bet a lot of people who are buying this wouldn't know if it sounds wrong.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/30/11 3:16 p.m.

I just can't picture how the car would make from the plant onto the trailer, from the trailer to the storage area. From the storage area back onto the trailer and from the trailer to the dealership without popping a caliper piston... Let alone the first time the the piston ground against the rotor....

Javelin
12/30/11 3:20 p.m.
noddaz wrote: I just can't picture how the car would make from the plant onto the trailer, from the trailer to the storage area. From the storage area back onto the trailer and from the trailer to the dealership without popping a caliper piston... Let alone the first time the the piston ground against the rotor....

Could have been the outboard pads on a sliding caliper.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
12/30/11 3:58 p.m.
Autoweek said: The missing [brake pad] could lengthen the stopping distance.

No E36 M3.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/30/11 4:01 p.m.

My first new car was a GM. That was in 1985. I have never bought another GM car.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
12/30/11 4:09 p.m.

I'm trying to imagine circumstances in which having a missing brake pad would NOT lengthen the stopping distance. So far, all I've come up with involves contact with an immovable object, or maybe relying exclusively on your parachute.

MA$$hole
MA$$hole Reader
12/30/11 4:36 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

With all the hype that was given with these cars they still come off as a bland replacement for the Cobalt/Cavalier/Aveo. It almost seems as if they really didn't try hard enough.

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
12/30/11 5:01 p.m.
Stealthtercel wrote: I'm trying to imagine circumstances in which having a missing brake pad would NOT lengthen the stopping distance. So far, all I've come up with involves contact with an immovable object, or maybe relying exclusively on your parachute.

last winter, i was trying to diagnose a leaky brake caliper on a 92 Ford Explorer that a friend has owned for 3 years.. when i took the caliper off, there was no pad on the piston side and no evidence that there had been one there for a long, long time.. the brakes worked fine the whole time he had it up to that point, and it only started leaking when the piston wore into the rotor enough and the outer pad wore enough to over travel the piston seal..

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
12/30/11 5:33 p.m.

LOL

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
12/30/11 5:46 p.m.
Woody wrote: My first new car was a GM. That was in 1985. I have never bought another GM car.

That was your first problem

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
12/30/11 6:15 p.m.

Aside from this ridiculous brake situation, Why does everyone go into "GM is the worst car company in the world!" mode when every little bad idea, recall, or incident happens?

Other companies have had a lot worse happen after the cars have been out on the road for a long time.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
12/30/11 6:40 p.m.
Woody wrote: My first new car was a GM. That was in 1985. I have never bought another GM car.

My first new car was a GM in 1987 and at no time since have I not owned at least one. I just cancelled you out

FlightService
FlightService Dork
12/30/11 6:40 p.m.

my favorite line was

"The missing part could lengthen the stopping distance, potentially contributing to a crash, the company said today in a statement."

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
12/30/11 6:59 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Aside from this ridiculous brake situation, Why does everyone go into "GM is the worst car company in the world!" mode when every little bad idea, recall, or incident happens? Other companies have had a lot worse happen after the cars have been out on the road for a long time.

Yeah, it's a little easier to understand a car having a problem after it's been in service for a while. But this is a situation where overpaid morons don't notice missing brake pads? Now, I understand we are a bunch of car guys/girls here so we'd know if there was an anti-rattle clip on the floor, let alone dozens of brake pads. But common folks. I don't know jack about artificial hearts but if my job was unpacking the heart and fastening it to some medical widget before the doc puts it in I would say something if there were small plastic or rubber things in the box. I find it inexcusable! Then again.......
Lemme tell you a little UAW story.
I worked at Detroit Diesel for a short time, it's a UAW plant. Every engine is dyno'd for 4 hours before being shipped, every engine. Nice. Well, one didn't start and went to the repair department. Cranked, didn't start. No compression, no pistons. There are 12 people on the line BESIDES the piston installers that are supposed to check for pistons and/or rely on pistons being installed for them to be able to do their jobs. How was the injector timing set? (special tool rested on the piston and came up as engine was barred over, no piston, no green GO shown) How was the head gasket and head dropped with daylight coming though those six holes in the block and so on?
While I hate GM for being the lowest common denominator, I see the UAW as the morons here.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1NW9Wx3CGASq6CU3Lr7KyuumhDjWQ1w854BRg0oYJRIDGXvOBaBZWdknj1ESWjPU