1 2
SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/2/24 3:34 p.m.

The XLR thread got me thinking about these. Well, not exactly... I'd already been watching them. I recently realized they are high on my list. 

The ND RF was the first to really grab my attention. So sexy... But my girlfriend prefers luxury cars (not Miata), which led me to watching every variation of SL and SLK cars. I really like the look. Those searches of course put the XLR on my radar (No, I'll never own another Northstar).  The AMG 350 SLKs are sexy. 

Doesn't hurt that I've got a nice LS6 from a CTS-V that I could consider putting in something like that...

So, what's the scoop?  What cars have them?  Which ones are miserable to maintain?  Which ones completely sacrifice their storage space?  What's the good and the bad?

Assume that I won't be buying a 1957 Skyliner (I'm not Ricky Ricardo). But they are still fun to talk about...

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
7/2/24 4:00 p.m.

No help but I have a 2008 Miata PRHT. No problems and I love having the top fully go down into a true convertible.  I think the Mercedes Benz models you listed are very nice. BMW offered a retractable hardtop on the Z4 and 4 series for a few years as did Porsche on select models.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/2/24 4:07 p.m.

Remember the Lexus IS-C? Of course you don't, no one does. It was an IS250 but a coupe with a hardtop convertible.

Other than the body changes, these were mechanically an IS250, which I think were pretty robust, if not inspiring. One of these would be kind of interesting to put the IS-F drive line in.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/2/24 4:24 p.m.

There are some BMW 3 series convertibles with a hard top (I don't know specific years but it would be easy enough to look them up.)

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/2/24 4:28 p.m.

An ND RF in GT trim will be just as, if not more, luxurious than a 15 year old GM product.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/2/24 4:30 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Agreed. It's climbing my list rapidly. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/2/24 4:30 p.m.

I wonder if the C70 would count as luxury enough for her. They're neat looking.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/2/24 4:42 p.m.

The Lexus SC430 is a vehicle befitting of a sophisticated lady. Some find them to be polarizing, but I think that is mostly the unique factory wheels. Change the wheels, and it changes the look of the car quite a bit.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
7/2/24 4:46 p.m.

Don't forget the Infiniti G37 Hard Top Convertible.  Everyone else did so they can be a good grab for the money.

If I ws going to get an XLR, it would have to be the XLR-V

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/2/24 4:49 p.m.

At the more pedestrian end of the spectrum, the Pontiac G6 convertible was a retractable hardtop.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/2/24 4:57 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I'll second the SC430. The styling has certainly grown on me.

And yeah the right wheels can really make a difference. One of just the many examples I found on the internets:

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
7/2/24 5:16 p.m.

The SSR is awful. Full stop.

The one-of-one coach built Auburn retractable is gorgeous.

https://www.conceptcarz.com/profile/7152,11708/1933-auburn-8-101.aspx

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/2/24 5:22 p.m.
dculberson said:

I wonder if the C70 would count as luxury enough for her. They're neat looking.

That was a shockingly nice car on the inside. I was impressed with the one I drove. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/2/24 5:29 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Putting an IS-F drivetrain into ANYTHING is supposedly an exercise in futility. I guess there are so many sensors, that it makes the task Herculean. And I love the IS-F drivetrain!

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/2/24 5:29 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Putting an IS-F drivetrain into ANYTHING is supposedly an exercise in futility. I guess there are so many sensors, that it makes the task Herculean. And I love the IS-F drivetrain!

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
7/2/24 5:49 p.m.

Put your LS6 into this

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/2/24 5:58 p.m.

2008-2013 BMW

BMW M3 Cabriolet (E93) Specs & Photos - 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013  - autoevolution

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/2/24 6:41 p.m.
buzzboy said:

Put your LS6 into this

What is this?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
7/2/24 7:47 p.m.

VW Eos.....» Volkswagen Eos 2014 convertible Best Cars News

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
7/2/24 7:48 p.m.

Pontiac G6.......Pontiac G6 GTP Convertible picture # 59700 | Pontiac photo gallery ...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/2/24 7:51 p.m.
SV reX said:
buzzboy said:

Put your LS6 into this

What is this?

An R129 Mercedes SL from around the turn of the century. Specifically, that one is a rare AMG unit that has a 7.3L V12 and is worth all the money. That hardtop is not retractable on any of them.

GPz11 (Forum Supporter)
GPz11 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/2/24 7:59 p.m.

Very happy with our SC430. Ironically, I saw a Chrysler 200? hardtop convertible today. Didn't know they made them.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
7/3/24 7:31 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

VW Eos.....» Volkswagen Eos 2014 convertible Best Cars News

The body shop at my local VW dealer told me they have yet to see one of those that doesn't leak water. A lot.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/3/24 8:40 a.m.

A friend had an EOS for a number of years and I don't recall them ever mentioning any water leak issues.    She did trade it for a Civic Si a couple of years ago. 

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
7/3/24 10:07 a.m.

The M4 is available as a hard top convertible. Nice bit is they are the cheapest used ones as they are less desireable with  the performance crowd.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
66s3OysMPzccFOeOqpSrnEwNXscqLSeJFHYHGU6qL5RnjnZud2UOOz0LDlGOaylQ