1 2 3 4 5
carbon
carbon Dork
1/6/15 8:21 p.m.

Is300 5mt/lsd

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
1/6/15 8:26 p.m.

RX-8 hands down. You'll be 6 steps ahead of all other cars on your list. Brakes are already good. You probably won't have to replace bushings galore. Won't have to replace entire cooling system(I'm looking at you BMW).

Just pay for fuel, rev the piss out of it all day at the track, and smile.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/6/15 8:42 p.m.

924S/944/968. Maintain them and drive the piss out of them. Load crap into the hatch, drive home.

Add an LSx for more fun if you don't want to be bothered with the Porsche 4.

emsalex
emsalex New Reader
1/6/15 8:45 p.m.

I have fit a full set of wheels and three adult women in a 92 mr2. Not at the same time of course.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage New Reader
1/6/15 8:48 p.m.

No idea on the price but how about a Z3 coupe?

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
1/6/15 9:00 p.m.

RX8, can tell you from personal experience all 4 tires will fit inside and like many have said already ready for the track.

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
1/6/15 9:01 p.m.

Lockable tool box and tire rack on trailer.

I'm a wagon guy so I'd never ask this question.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/6/15 9:10 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Yes, a set of 245/50/16's will fit in a Camaro/Firebird. Not sure about 17's. If you're going 3rd gen (82-92) then 245/50/15 is another option.

If you are going to put an f-body on a racetrack, you are going to want to carry more tire than that with you...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/6/15 10:03 p.m.
AClockworkGarage wrote: No idea on the price but how about a Z3 coupe?

Those are still at least $10k. Not sure if they'll be able to carry four tires either.

midniteson
midniteson Reader
1/6/15 10:19 p.m.

Buy an early wrx wagon. Convert to Rwd. Win.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
1/6/15 10:26 p.m.

Miata= gutless, ae86=gutless AND you had to pay the "dorifto tax" on a car worth about 1,500$, f body? I agree, you'll spend a lot in repairs.

Volvo wagon? Not cheap to repair or maintain the new ones though.

BoxheadTim
1/6/15 10:36 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

Wouldn't mind a 968, but so far I haven't found one worth having in my price range.

In reply to Trackmouse:

I've tracked several Miatas, I know all about "gutless" and it doesn't bother me that much.

06HHR
06HHR Reader
1/6/15 10:49 p.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: S-10 extreme with an SBC? It fits all the criteria, so why not? You could also get a Tiburon V6. Those things are quick, with the right set of tires.

You know, the S-10 isn't a half bad idea. There's a 2 door late model (2000?) 5-speed S-10 Blazer for sale on CL here for $800 with a bad engine. A suspension drop (2+ inches) an LS swap and a decent tire/wheel combo (late model S-10 blazers have 4 wheel discs) and you've got a 6K or less RWD track car that can tow another track car if you want to

echoechoecho
echoechoecho New Reader
1/6/15 11:11 p.m.

I second the IS300

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
1/6/15 11:19 p.m.

Wait why are you ignoring the E36? I know of a green 4dr slicktop (no sunroof) in San Diego for 5k and this is coming from Neil at Oceanside Motorsports who I would totally trust and could do an awesome PPI for it

BoxheadTim
1/6/15 11:22 p.m.

I mentioned E36 M3 in my first post...

IIRC the coupes have fold down rear seats, which is most likely what I'd need to get a set of wheels in there. The four door has a fixed back seat unless I'm really mistaken.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
1/7/15 2:33 a.m.

A bit far away, but this could be an interesting starting point: 1983 S10 V8 - $300

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
1/7/15 2:56 a.m.

Datsun 510

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
1/7/15 6:14 a.m.

Celica. Supra.

If you're willing to go eighties old then they can be found for cheap and mod budget is bigger.

Newer celicas are FWD but handle really well and make decent power right out of the box.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
1/7/15 6:30 a.m.

V8 Volvo Wagon

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
1/7/15 6:36 a.m.

For something different than the Civic, Integra, Fox body, etc... I would unquestionably recommend a Volvo wagon...850GLT for example. We have a bunch of them running LeMons. They're fast and reliable. Plus, you can not only carry a set of tires, you can carry a bunch of tools, food, whatever.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/7/15 6:46 a.m.

I was all set to click on this thread and say … pretty much any Honda hatchback … then I spotted the tail end of the title … RWD .. I gots nothing for ya .. sorry

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
1/7/15 7:11 a.m.
06HHR wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote: S-10 extreme with an SBC? It fits all the criteria, so why not? You could also get a Tiburon V6. Those things are quick, with the right set of tires.
You know, the S-10 isn't a half bad idea. There's a 2 door late model (2000?) 5-speed S-10 Blazer for sale on CL here for $800 with a bad engine. A suspension drop (2+ inches) an LS swap and a decent tire/wheel combo (late model S-10 blazers have 4 wheel discs) and you've got a 6K or less RWD track car that can tow another track car if you want to

And if you fit a truck cap, you could fit all the tires. Also, racecar tailgate parties are possible.

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 New Reader
1/7/15 7:41 a.m.

Some e36 coupes don't have fold down seats and some sedans do, I think it was actually an option? not sure why theres no consistency there but having owned a half dozen or so various e36's I've seen them come both ways.

Personally I'd skip the 318ti as its down on power compared to the other e36's and you have to battle e30 geometry in the back vs the improved e36 geometry the sedan/coupes have.

Based on your budget I'd suggest a 96-98 328is with an m50 intake manifold and a couple bolt ons you can easily make stock m3 power levels without the insurance premium. You should be able to find a clean rust free example in the $3-4k range which leaves you enough money left over to refresh the notoriously weak e36 cooling system, throw new control arm and trailing arm bushings in the car, get some konis or other simple track oriented suspension and get a set of track pads/tires, Heck you might even wind up with enough cash left over to enter the first track day!

06HHR
06HHR Reader
1/7/15 7:48 a.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man: No truck cap necessary 2000 S-10 Blazer $800

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yXOc8WcgPWj2CEQNQnALR39O91xBS2UX1FJjJHXkLWBrmwcC1xVkEXY9FBv1hzIA