1 2
DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
9/3/10 7:50 a.m.
neckromacr wrote:
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: From what i have read, GL4 eats away at the brass syncros in VW trans. I have read on Royal Purple's site that their GL4 is safe for GL5 applications (my Vw Pedovan is almost complete and since my dad's old BMW team was sponsored by Royal Purple, we have cases upon cases of motor and trans oil...) I was going to use it in my trans. Its only when the gear oil reaches a certain temperature, it will break down the brass syncros...
020 trannies are supposed to run GL4 because of their brass syncros. Usually Redline MT90 is the preferred oil(GL4 as well). I swapped out the RP for that stuff and the the difference in shifting was immediate. Hopefully running the Redline will buy me some extra time while I rebuild the next trans.

ya, thats what i meant. Got it backwards. From what i have read on the Royal Purple site, its ok to run their GL4 in the VW trans... Thats what im planning on doing

DrFeelgood
DrFeelgood New Reader
9/3/10 9:58 a.m.

I used Royal Purple in my 1990 Miata autocross car after Mobil 1 20/50 wasn't working out. When using Mobile 1 on my hydraulic lifters would start making alot of noise after autocrossing in hot weather. The oil pressure would also be a little low after an autocross run in the summer.

I switched to 10/40 Royal Purple and the car had great oil pressure and no more lifter clatter after autocrossing the car. It was truly amazing. I have had no problems to report after making the swtich to Royal Purple.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
9/7/10 9:19 p.m.
robertcope wrote: Eh? Red Line gear oils are great. I run it in all of my VWs. Improved shifting, no failures so far. ... robert

Redline is only good compared to 100k+ VW gear oil. I missed more shifts with that junk then anything else. Speed of shifting, and at high revs, is really what is a test of a lot of these oils. Too slippery and they syncro does no work.. Still haven't missed a shift on Torco and I'm making my 1-2 at 8200.. RP wouldn't even shift at 7k.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VkqOuIFr3c7yaxDgrwA8lkGUesNt6STKTyHnKh5NMKxxDeZDaKqEcD19PhPHO4zh