1 ... 3 4 5
Flight Service
Flight Service UltimaDork
5/14/13 4:07 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote:
Brett_Murphy wrote: I am eventually going to do this. I just sold my latest challenge car (Merkur XR4Ti) and my previous challenge car idea (1995 Golf) is also for sale. Let me see if I got this correct in the rules as they stand today. I'm using really rough numbers here. I'm hoping to parlay my parts car RX-8 into a Challenge Build this time. I picked it up with light body damage, two destroyed rims and damaged suspension links for ~$2600. Total cost so far: ~$2600.
like that chick said to Meat Loaf, "Stop right there!" i'm pretty sure you can't start with a car that cost more than $20xx.
What he said. Mndsm and i talked for about a half hour about how we may make an attempt to bring a $0.00 car in a future year, though.

All builders shall spend no more than $2013 on their cars. The purchase price of the car must be equal to or less than $2013. Title fees, registration and insurance are not counted toward the budget. Shipping (or transportation costs) of the car and parts used in the building process must be counted toward the budget.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
5/14/13 4:18 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: I'm hoping to parlay my parts car RX-8 into a Challenge Build this time. I picked it up with light body damage, two destroyed rims and damaged suspension links for ~$2600. Since it was a running car in the first place I could take my sketchy, higher mileage engine and drop it in there without rebuilding it or put a "similar" condition engine (40k miles) in without taking a budget hit. This also extends to the suspension- I could put like "used" items in without a budget hit.

Not sure how you get to put an engine into it without a budget hit.

That also ignores any gaskets, O rings, plugs, wires etc.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
5/14/13 4:18 p.m.

This is where I express frustration that my girlfriend's friend sold a mkIV Golf "that wasn't running right" for $800 to a tow yard. Deals are out there; it's just a combination of right place in the right time and having ears to the ground.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/14/13 11:24 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Not sure how you get to put an engine into it without a budget hit. That also ignores any gaskets, O rings, plugs, wires etc.

Alright, purchase price under 20xx. I can do that, just not with the RX-8 I currently have. That doesn't mean somebody else can't if I sell the shell, though. I just want to see an RX-8 at the challenge.

As for what I was thinking with the RX-8 donor car: The donor car has a minty fresh engine I want to use in my "nice" non-challenge RX-8, so that is where that engine is going. The "nice" RX-8 has an engine that runs, but is low on compression. I don't see how putting something that is a factory part and worse than what it was bought with should be a budget hit. If it came with a low mileage running engine, and it wound up with a low compression high mileage engine in it, where is the advantage?

Keep in mind I just want to compete, but I also want to stay in the rules. There is no way my car is going to win a dang thing.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aqLjDEhPZMz6LBlblYYT0PcdPuUrZDCHbcdqQtAVDXYPuDt8yuuOkGq2x4KYk32M