Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/16/17 2:03 p.m.

So I'm looking into cheap & easy ways to paint my $2017 Challenge car, and one of the cheapest options with a good selection of colors is Rustoleum's American Accents Ultra-Cover 2x paint (it's like $3.50/can at the mart of walls). I've only ever really used Rustoleum's Stops Rust spray paint or the factory paint-matched ones (like Duplicolor)- has anyone else used the 'American Accents' pain on a car? How well did it work? Thanks!

(Example- not what I'm looking at using... or is it???) Rustoleum American Accents Paint

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/16/17 2:25 p.m.

hahaha, I just did this with that exact paint. Hold on ill grab a link.

Robbie
10/16/17 2:29 p.m.

Here's the short version of the car being painted this weekend:

Took 13 cans (11 white 2 green). White was pretty difficult to work with, the green was awesome and super easy. The car was down to at least 400 grit sandpaper all over though, that probably helped.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/16/17 2:30 p.m.

I painted the Locost and my car hauler with Rustoleum Professional and a HF HVLP gun that I saw on super-sale yesterday for $9.  I almost bought another spare, but, you know, just didn't really need it.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/17 2:34 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

You're just going to leave that pic there with no story?

Robbie
10/16/17 2:40 p.m.

In reply to Wall-e :

It's the saab "truck" that I am representing the chicagoland GRMers with at the challenge this week. Huge team effort build by a lot of cool people. I am thrilled with how well it came out, I hope to make everyone who helped proud!

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/midwest-grmer-meetup-chicagoland-2017-challenge-parking-lot-build/132077/page1/

EDIT: I should say 'midwest' GRMers, since a few folks came from further than just the other side of the city!

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/17 2:43 p.m.

I missed that somehow 

Ashyukun
10/16/17 2:43 p.m.

So it works well? Does it live up to their claims about one coat covering enough to not need a second? Despite their saying it doesn't need primer I'm still likely to finish primering the Rampage since the front end is already in primer...

Ashyukun
10/16/17 2:45 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess :

I've considered that- but I don't think I could find the colors I want here in time...

Robbie
10/16/17 2:58 p.m.
Ashyukun said:

So it works well? Does it live up to their claims about one coat covering enough to not need a second? Despite their saying it doesn't need primer I'm still likely to finish primering the Rampage since the front end is already in primer...

The green, yes; the white, absolutely not. I've heard yellow and white paints always struggle to cover though, and I have certainly fought that battle with yellow interior wall paint too.

Also, the green was really easy to see the 'wet spot' while spraying, which you need to make sure each pass connects the wet spot of the prior pass with the wet spot of the new pass for the paint to flow out evenly. If you don't you will have tell tale spray paint 'lines' (ask me why I had to paint three coats on the hood). Lines are easier to fix than runs though, so not the end of the world. Lines mean you aren't using enough paint and runs mean you used too much. You can always add more paint but the reverse is harder...

I can say I didn't have a single tip clog on me. That's kind of impressive. And I had a little overspray on the passenger glass that cleaned up easily with mineral spirits. My index finger still feels like your foot feels when you sit on the pot too long (er, read GRM too long) and your legs fall asleep.

I learned you don't have to move the can fast, but if you are spraying the can needs to be moving. Watch where the paint is hitting the metal, not the spot you are trying to hit (very weird, but works). The can says 12-18 inches away, and they mean it. The pattern is small, but overlapping the current pass over 1/2 of the last pass is a good goal to shoot for.

Finally, its all in the prep, and that is what takes the time. The actual painting goes pretty fast.

Robbie
10/16/17 3:18 p.m.

I should add - I am super pleased with the final product. I had a little bit of spray paint experience before this project but not a lot (before the weekend I bet I had used 20 cans of spray paint in my life on small stuff here and there). I was able to learn as I went. You can do it!

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project New Reader
10/16/17 8:45 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

This makes me want to rattle can my RX7... that looks REALLY good!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/16/17 9:00 p.m.

Wow, looks awesome. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
10/16/17 9:14 p.m.

Warning about rustoleum: it can, and probably will, interact with real paint. I had that issue recently.  Just a word of caution if you are considering real paint and body later.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/17 9:22 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Warning about rustoleum: it can, and probably will, interact with real paint. I had that issue recently.  Just a word of caution if you are considering real paint and body later.

As in it's fine to paint over real paint with rustoleum, but the reverse doesn't work.

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/17/17 6:19 a.m.

spraying a lot of cans of paint?

https://www.grainger.com/product/RUST-OLEUM-Spray-Can-Grip-2ERK5

I have one of these and its kind of awesome, but it looks like there are more comfortable ones out now if you search around. 

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
10/17/17 6:35 a.m.

In reply to failboat :

The spray grip that Dip Your Car sells is really nice.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/17/17 6:58 a.m.

I got one of those grips (like linked above) about 3 years ago.. That's one of those things that I'm kicking myself for not getting sooner!  For <$5, the quality of my spray painting has gone up exponentially, way less runs, much better application, etc.     Now it feels a lot like using the HVLP gun I've shot cars with, it's very controllable.

Robbie
10/17/17 8:10 a.m.

Yeah, I probably should have got the grip too. Considering my finger still isn't 100% back to normal...

Brian
Brian MegaDork
10/17/17 12:09 p.m.

+1 on the spray grips. After doing a bicycle  fork and handlebar I’ve been sold on one for my next rattle job. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3X9Ib4gva5BNi2341NcHDyImfx3xLltJMkPANP5bQaePwCUg4aY44zSVUybkYtTU