pirate
pirate Reader
10/13/15 5:44 p.m.

Was at Cruisn'the Coast in Biloxi/Gulfport MS this past weekend and saw a RX7 powered by some kind of V8 set up more hot rod style big tires on rear smaller narrow tires up front. Had a cam with a very noticeable lope. That got me thinking. Are there any documented V8 swaps into RX7's set up as street or track day cars?

CTC set another record this year with over 7600 entries not to mention the cars that just show up. Saw more sport scars this year in addition to muscle cars customs and hot rods. Enjoyable weekend if you like cars of all kinds.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/13/15 6:14 p.m.

There are TONS of V8 RX-7 swaps.

Granny's Speed Shop has a well developed kit for both Chevy and Ford mills.

There is a build thread for one on here:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/rx7-fc-finding-out-what-it-wants-to-become/96558/page1/

RX8driver
RX8driver New Reader
10/13/15 6:30 p.m.

There's a forum dedicated to it at www.norotors.com with some very comprehensive build threads, links to suppliers and much more. There's also a section on the rx7club forum, again, with build threads, links etc.

Very common swap, perhaps most easily done with an FC, but all 3 generations have had it done.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/13/15 6:36 p.m.

All 3 generations are good platforms for V8 swaps. I've owned two 2nd gen cars with V8s (an LS1 and an L33). Both were super fun. Highly recommend one!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
10/13/15 6:39 p.m.

Pushrod V8 into a RX7 is probably the most common swap in the "put a V8 where it don't belong" category.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/13/15 7:16 p.m.

Two of the overall challenge winners were V8 RX7's. One Ford, one Chevy.

LSx motors get all the glory because of super high horsepower goodness with double overdrive fuel economy is fun, but lately i've been thinking a fuel injected slightly worked 5.0 mustang motor t-5 setup would make a heck of a fun cheap street car. 300hp in that chassis is fun.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
10/13/15 9:25 p.m.

Thanks, now I checked craigslist and there is a salvage title RX8 that someone can't get rid of a mile away... If only I had the skills to pull it off on a Challenge budget.

JTNWEvo
JTNWEvo New Reader
10/13/15 10:08 p.m.

I just put an injected 5.0 into a FC and it is a ball. Plenty of power and no electronic driver aids to save your bacon

Well documented and really pretty easy swap. Grannys kit worked great for me. I did use an Explorer upper intake and had to cut a hole in the hood but it is possible to do it and not have to do that.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
10/14/15 7:31 a.m.
Andy Neuman wrote: Thanks, now I checked craigslist and there is a salvage title RX8 that someone can't get rid of a mile away... If only I had the skills to pull it off on a Challenge budget.

How do you think people acquire those skills?

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
10/14/15 7:43 a.m.

The Granny's FC kit for the Ford 5.0 is based on my conversion from 1993 when I did it.

they even use pictures of my car on their site. BUT, I didn't use their kit, as I created it. lol!

Had the car for 5 years and was massive fun, set up for autocross and daily driven.

dyintorace
10/14/15 7:46 a.m.

In reply to Chris_V:

Every time I see pictures of your RX-7, I think how cool that duckbill spoiler is. It really compliments the car. How did you accomplish that?

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
10/14/15 7:49 a.m.

In reply to dyintorace:

it's a '70s Camaro unit trimmed and molded in.

dyintorace
10/14/15 7:56 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: In reply to dyintorace: it's a '70s Camaro unit trimmed and molded in.

Very cool. Nicely done!

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
10/14/15 8:02 a.m.
NOHOME wrote:
Andy Neuman wrote: Thanks, now I checked craigslist and there is a salvage title RX8 that someone can't get rid of a mile away... If only I had the skills to pull it off on a Challenge budget.
How do you think people acquire those skills?

Proper tool, practice, time and just trying things?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/14/15 8:05 a.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman:

I've never built anything OTHER THAN a Challenge car!

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
10/14/15 8:10 a.m.

You can also get swap kits from Hinson and Samberg. Basically everything you need right off the shelf.

https://www.hinsonsupercars.com/s-942-mazda.aspx

http://www.rx7v8.com/

Skervey
Skervey Reader
1/15/16 10:50 p.m.

Hey my build made it on here! And in short YES! People love to think the V8 will add a ton of weight to the car but it really won't. I added about 40-70lbs to the car and moved it from 50/50 to 51/49 or so front to rear. So its not bad at all seeing as its just as powerful as a GT mustang but is lighter same weight distribution but IRS and good brakes. Mine is not a track car or a autoX car but its a ton of fun on the street and not just in a straight line.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NHrnJitHuXDgsCzDKUVRSYqHeTNjLD6MKIWxPmWiBcdH73pwJdbvmfgsKTYGBSe9