1 2 3
Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
12/20/11 2:16 p.m.

I don't want to hear any more Saab stories.... Sorry, it was just dangling out there.

I agree with the article Rusted linked to. GM did a horrible job with the company and sucked the uniqueness out of it. Though I still wonder how long they would have survived without GM. The market now is a lot different than it used to be. Cars are so much more homogenized than they used to be. I wonder how much of a mass market there would have been for a car that had the "quirks" that Saab did? Would there have been enough buyers to make them profitable and be able to develop new products?

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
12/20/11 3:13 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: Though I still wonder how long they would have survived without GM. The market now is a lot different than it used to be.

That is part of the issue when folks compare the Saab and Volvo sales. Saab was hurting before the GM purchase and needed a buyer to survive. Volvo cars was relatively profitable, but Volvo AB saw the market changing and them not having the resources to develope new products to keep up, so they went searching for a partner/buyer. Personally, I wish Ford had not sold Volvo and did more to integrate them (hence my previous comment re: Mazda).

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
12/20/11 3:45 p.m.

this is the latest that I've heard about Saab

"Saab suspends warranty coverage on North American Vehicles

DETROIT -- Saab has suspended warranty coverage on all of its vehicles in North America.

Additionally, new vehicles must be sold "as is," the bankrupt Swedish automaker told its dealers.

However, General Motors, Saab's former owner, said today it would honor warranties on all models sold when it owned the Swedish automaker. The suspension took place on Monday, the same day a Swedish court approved the automaker's bankruptcy petition to liquidate and begin paying creditors. Two receivers were appointed to oversee Saab's assets.

Effective Dec. 19, "warranty coverage is suspended indefinitely for all new Saab vehicles sold. During this period, the warranty booklet must be removed from the owner information packet," Saab Cars North America said in a statement provided to Automotive News.

"For any vehicle sold or leased during this period, the customer should be affirmatively advised that the vehicle does not carry any warranty coverage and is sold 'as is.' "

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
12/20/11 5:14 p.m.
wbjones wrote: this is the latest that I've heard about Saab "Saab suspends warranty coverage on North American Vehicles DETROIT -- Saab has suspended warranty coverage on all of its vehicles in North America. Additionally, new vehicles must be sold "as is," the bankrupt Swedish automaker told its dealers. However, General Motors, Saab's former owner, said today it would honor warranties on all models sold when it owned the Swedish automaker. The suspension took place on Monday, the same day a Swedish court approved the automaker's bankruptcy petition to liquidate and begin paying creditors. Two receivers were appointed to oversee Saab's assets. Effective Dec. 19, "warranty coverage is suspended indefinitely for all new Saab vehicles sold. During this period, the warranty booklet must be removed from the owner information packet," Saab Cars North America said in a statement provided to Automotive News. "For any vehicle sold or leased during this period, the customer should be affirmatively advised that the vehicle does not carry any warranty coverage and is sold 'as is.' "

It would seem the Saab investors/managment are pissed at GM.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
12/20/11 5:27 p.m.
wbjones wrote: this is the latest that I've heard about Saab "Saab suspends warranty coverage on North American Vehicles DETROIT -- Saab has suspended warranty coverage on all of its vehicles in North America. Additionally, new vehicles must be sold "as is," the bankrupt Swedish automaker told its dealers. However, General Motors, Saab's former owner, said today it would honor warranties on all models sold when it owned the Swedish automaker. The suspension took place on Monday, the same day a Swedish court approved the automaker's bankruptcy petition to liquidate and begin paying creditors. Two receivers were appointed to oversee Saab's assets. Effective Dec. 19, "warranty coverage is suspended indefinitely for all new Saab vehicles sold. During this period, the warranty booklet must be removed from the owner information packet," Saab Cars North America said in a statement provided to Automotive News. "For any vehicle sold or leased during this period, the customer should be affirmatively advised that the vehicle does not carry any warranty coverage and is sold 'as is.' "

Sure do feel bad for the folks that just bought their cars--not only will they take a knee in the groin for an extra huge percentage of depreciation, but they get nothing and like it when their "premium" sports-sedan or SUV takes a crap on them. Epic lose.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
12/20/11 6:52 p.m.

Or... If you are one who tends to do all work on your cars, a Saab could be an option... When I bought my TDi back in '03, I basically assumed the warranty was worthless since I refuse to let a VW dealer touch my car.

Merc
Merc New Reader
12/20/11 7:22 p.m.

In reply to procainestart:

Wow great articles. It's hard to imagine how a company like Saab has even survived the last 20yrs of it's life. Saab seems to have so much potential but falls short in every which way.

carzan
carzan HalfDork
12/20/11 8:14 p.m.

China's Pang Da halts bid to acquire Saab

(Reuters) - China's Pang Da Automobile Trade (601258.SS) said on Wednesday it would halt its attempt to acquire Swedish carmaker Saab in light of Saab's bankruptcy.

Wonder if there will be BIG discounts on orphan. warranty-less SAABs?

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
12/20/11 9:10 p.m.
carzan wrote: China's Pang Da halts bid to acquire Saab (Reuters) - China's Pang Da Automobile Trade (601258.SS) said on Wednesday it would halt its attempt to acquire Swedish carmaker Saab in light of Saab's bankruptcy. Wonder if there will be BIG discounts on orphan. warranty-less SAABs?

Effing HUGE would be my guess.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
12/20/11 10:05 p.m.
Woody wrote:

When did Abe get pregnant?

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/11 8:29 a.m.

What Every Marketer Can Learn From Saab's Crash And Burn

Here is another good article about SAAB. It makes sense to me, when was the last time you saw a SAAB commercial on TV? How can anyone expect to sell anything without some kind of exposure.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/11 2:08 p.m.

Thought this was appropriate for the convo:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/12/saab-the-eulogy/

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/11 2:27 p.m.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
12/22/11 3:40 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote:

procainestart
procainestart Dork
12/22/11 3:50 p.m.

Note the EXTNCT license plate on that SUPER HOT 99T

subrew
subrew Reader
12/22/11 4:06 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Thought this was appropriate for the convo: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/12/saab-the-eulogy/

The author only misspelled Sonett half a dozen times in that article.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/11 6:22 p.m.

Lovely looking 99

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/11 6:31 p.m.
subrew wrote:
turboswede wrote: Thought this was appropriate for the convo: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/12/saab-the-eulogy/
The author only misspelled Sonett half a dozen times in that article.

Okay, good to know. So, what did you think of the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
12/22/11 9:50 p.m.

I drive a 900s convertible classic every day. And every day I love it more. This from a rear wheel drive and American car only guy. Some Fum Duck decided to do away with all of the original goodness that made them so wonderful.May the fleas of a thousand camels infest his evil little armpits.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
12/22/11 10:42 p.m.

I always have to preface these comments with this: I like Saabs. I always enjoyed driving 99's, and they were pretty sturdy and easy to repair, as long as you didn't feel the need to repair your transmission.

However, they have been dead for a decade, and they will never recover, unless the richest, craziest SOB on the planet buys them. The last three (now) Saabs I have had in my shop have needed a part. None of the parts were as simple as a spark plug, but neither were they terribly odd. All three cars have sat on my lot for over 5 weeks waiting for parts through the dealer network. I tell the owners they can keep the Saab if they like it, but they should not have it as their only car. All three have sold, or will sell, and will not buy another.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
12/23/11 3:42 a.m.

What a lovely 99. Is that an original colour?

Great, plate, too.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
12/23/11 8:28 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy: Have you tried eeuroparts.com for SAAB parts?

procainestart
procainestart Dork
12/23/11 10:43 a.m.

In reply to Luke:

Yep, original. I briefly owned a '78 EMS in the same color. They also came in black and silver (possibly other shades in Europe, and as notchbacks, there, too -- we only got turbo'd hatches).

Silver:

This one belongs to a friend:

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
12/23/11 10:45 a.m.

The December issue of CAR has a short article that proves magazine lead times can really kill ya'. In an article headlined SAAB IS SAVED, NEW MODELS IN THE WORKS, we are given a short timeline and a few drawings of (possible?) models that Saab has/had? on it's drawing boards waiting for the financial dust to clear. Among the models shown? a successor to the old 92? or is it 91? A small 2 door coupeish car. Just as I made the mistake of interperting the how and why GM's role in the financial wrangling that has been going on for the better part of a year...CAR all but gives the impression GM and BMW (another source of components (ala diesel engines) have worked out everything but 1 or 2 SMALL details.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
12/23/11 11:16 a.m.

OK, nice, so can I get my Saab Trailblazer or SRX for 10K now please?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ND1t4UnZQpvmmFvriLXzlDJrJt69gBHtxmx2x610YvxlTMxVb3zsli2tR8bVscIA