Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/7/09 2:11 a.m.

I guess they are out now, I saw a black one on the Lower East Side of Manhattan today while I was at lunch. It was odd to see something take off so quick and make no noise.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
8/7/09 3:33 a.m.

They're getting to be fairly common in California. Here in Portland, there were about a half dozen at the EV drags the other day. They're quick! I think the fastest Tesla of the night was running 12.7 in the quarter, and like you said, it was essentially silent compared to other cars running in the 12s. Very cool!

Bryce

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
8/7/09 6:43 a.m.

Did they finally get the transmission problem corrected? seems like that was the holdup

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/7/09 8:41 a.m.

Seeing the 6 or so at the EV drags was freaking AWESOME! Watching a silent car throw a smackdown on to some fast street cars was pretty cool. The amazing part was how well they launched and hit the 1/8th mile. Electrics are really cool.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/7/09 9:21 a.m.

I don't mean this as a put-down. I like Teslas. But the first one that I saw in the cloth was being loaded onto a flatbed after it had stopped in traffic. Had to chuckle.

Carrera4
Carrera4 Reader
8/7/09 9:31 a.m.

I've seen a few around here in the Northeast and I know a guy who has one, but I haven't seen his in person yet. I would love to try one in auto-x, just to see what it was like, although you'd probably have to tow a generator along with you . . .

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
8/7/09 10:27 a.m.

I happened to be alongside one in my RX7 during a video shoot on public streets a couple of months ago. If you see any Tesla vids with a red 3rd gen RX7, it was me.

Zman
Zman New Reader
8/7/09 10:34 a.m.

They do look good but i cant help but feel sad that at some point, we will fail to hear the wonderous roar of a V8 rumbling down the street.

Viva la V8!

Supercoupe
Supercoupe Reader
8/7/09 11:25 a.m.

I drove one, albeit only in a parking lot, a few times, they are very freaky feeling. You just go and hear nothing but tire roll. Absurdly fast take off, and if you let off the accelerator fast they slow down extremely quick. The only downside is getting in and out, with the top on it's almost impossible for me to get in without standing,rubbing,sliding along some part of the car, and getting out is no picnic either. The 4dr sedan that's coming out in '11 is really sharp, get's a 300 mile range, and base @ 49k doesn't seem to bad. Looks like Tesla is putting the 465M to good use.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
8/7/09 11:42 a.m.

Tesla's ?? pffft, that car is common. I see more of them than I see Nissan GTRs...

I guess it helps that I work right down the street from them

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
8/7/09 12:29 p.m.
Zman wrote: They do look good but i cant help but feel sad that at some point, we will fail to hear the wonderous roar of a V8 rumbling down the street. Viva la V8!

Not in your life time. You know that statistic you hear about how many millions of guns Americans have stored away? We do that with V8s too.

Bryce

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
io8XRRoznxSRuAPd2zmui1Jjma63v04vPBkGepIfFAGK5jzyI2l8BmfidciztFz8