1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/18 11:01 a.m.

You can delete that oil filler on the one valve cover - it's on the same bayonet mount as the filler cap. Get some plug wires with 90s on them and you'll gain yourself a bit of extra room.

The upper diagram appears to be a production car LS1, bottom is probably a truck motor. If you need more accuracy, we have a couple sitting around here.

Keith Tanner
6/1/18 11:02 a.m.

GM provides 3D models of these engines via SEMA, by the way.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
6/1/18 12:57 p.m.

I found all those pics on the 'net, but not exhaust flange to exhaust flange.

The SBC is 18.75" flange-to-flange, and I have 24" of room.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
6/1/18 1:17 p.m.

Found a SolidWorks file of the LS, and I'm inspecting it in Fusion360.

Looks like valvecover-to-valvecover is 21.5", exhaust flanges are 19.3" from face-to-face.

This might be doable.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/1/18 1:51 p.m.

One thing not mentioned about LS engines (LS3 at least) is that for a track car that can handle, it needs a dry sump. It "can" be run without but there are plenty of stories about them seizing up while hard cornering.

Mentioned in this thread because of the added weight, bulk, and expense.

My brother runs an LS3 Stalker and is glad he's got the dry sump.

Keith Tanner
6/1/18 2:18 p.m.

That depends on the engine, I understand it's more of an LS3 party trick than LS1/6. 1.3g sustained left turn appears to be the trigger, but in our experience an oil pan with good oil control prevents problems. We have a customer who does endurance racing with aero and hoosiers and he's been solid. My track LS3 has also been problem-free.

I have an engine on the floor right now if you can tell me just what dimensions you want.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
6/1/18 4:10 p.m.

Can you confirm the width at exhaust flanges, at bolt height?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/18 4:13 p.m.
SkinnyG said:

Can you confirm the width at exhaust flanges, at bolt height?

I can probably get you this after dinner

Keith Tanner
6/1/18 4:25 p.m.

Someone went and put a transmission on the one in the shop, but it looks to be very close to 19.3".

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/1/18 4:26 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

Looks about right on my tape measure, as best I can tell with all the accessories in the way.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
6/1/18 4:31 p.m.

Close enough works.  For everything else, there is hammer.

Thanks guys!

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
6/4/18 10:24 a.m.
JBasham said:

Aluminum LS1 + T56, seen on scale at 609#.

Ford 302 with carb not EFI and aluminum aftermarket heads + T5 = 475#, but that's a padded estimate based on parts-on-scale photos of the component parts.

Anyway, Weight link

475#?  Nope.  Guy on Bimmerforums just weighed his Explorer V8 5.0 with aluminum heads and intake + T5 and he got 550#. 

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/4/18 10:54 p.m.

The coil packs can be an issue because they add height and a little bit of width to the valve covers.  Aftermarket (or GRM) relocation solutions are everywhere.  Many LS into GM swaps have the trouble of hitting the A/C box or brake booster with the coil packs.

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto New Reader
6/4/18 11:07 p.m.

My aluminum 5.3 long block with water pump, but no exhaust manifolds or accessories came in at like 305 lbs.

The accessories will add 100 lbs pretty easy, and an iron block will also add 100 lbs. 

Oil starvation can be an issue, but there are enough oil pan choices to help with this, as well as baffles, windage trays, etc.

$300 Accusump does wonders as well for High-G cornering. 

If weight isn't an issue, save yourself a couple of grand and go for a truck engine instead. The aluminum car engines are EXTREMELY overpriced a majority of the time. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lnmGZpQMhn6viEnp9x2DOVg2v741uY8QZeXAekMQInxXEmZVHE66j5NOEjjtaWWq