Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/6/21 6:31 a.m.

So, im kinda lost, and think i need to go back to step one. 

Im building a 1980 amc spirit. I want to do time trials and hillclimbs, get my competition licence, and possibly wheel to wheel. This doesn't require a logbook, but i want one. 

Im not sure what class it will be stuck in, so i don't know what rules to build to. Id think that it will be stuck in a pretty high class...

Car will have a front suspension from an rx8 and framerails made from scratch. 5.3 ls and four speed, ford 8.8, and a widebody from scratch to cover 15x12 wheels. 

Car already has an 8 point cage with nascar style door bars, and has been seam welded. 

Where does this mutant piece of E36 M3 fall? What rules am i hunting?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/6/21 8:53 a.m.

That would end up in Mod class. I think E-Mod off the top of my head. The new frame would take it there. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/6/21 8:58 a.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Does e-mod go from autocross to the other arenas? 

And does rails attached to the factory unibody rails change this? 

I had initially thought it was going to be gt1, but doesn't sound right, and reading the gcr is confusing as berkeley without knowing exactly where im going. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/6/21 9:09 a.m.

It probably doesn't have a place to play W2W in SCCA except GT1 but I'm not sure the rules on engines.  

Autox it will either be XP or Emod.

Time trials for Most it will likely be at the pointy end with the Aero Cars with 600+ HP.  

If you want to W2W your best bet will be NASA ST/TT ladder.  Classing is based entirely on HP/Wt with adjustments based on some specific mods.  You Just work up your power to weight from a relatively simple worksheet.  There are 5 classes for each TT and ST (ST is the W2W).  Cars are the same basically for TT3/ST3 for example.  But there are no rules restricting your car beyond safety and no sucker cars.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/6/21 9:14 a.m.

I haven't done tech for road racing only every other part but GT class is full tube frame cars with design silhouettes for the body. You would get killed there if it would even be allowed. 

With all of that different work, to be honest I don't think it would have a good home in W2W in SCCA. It may be a better fit for NASA Super Touring. I would also look at Time Attack/Time Trials. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/21 9:39 a.m.

I'd say E-Mod as well. It allows pretty much anything as long as the floor pan is still there. 

For SCCA TT, I'd say Max or Unlimited depending on aero and if it's street legal. 

No clue on W2W. NASA is probably your best bet. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/6/21 9:52 a.m.

Wheel to wheel is definitely an outside, maybe someday thing. Looooong ways off. 

Time trials and hillclimbs. Thats what i eant to do in the next five years with this car. 

And thanks! I forgot about nasa, who does a lot at cmp and vir which are close to me. Need to find their rulebook as well. Make sure im compliant there as well.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/6/21 11:04 a.m.

I would be very careful with any way you pull interior with SCCA TT having an aversion to full on racecars. 

I would engage in dialouge with SCCA TT leadership early on to make sure you're not sitting on the outside looking in because of something you did to the car.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/6/21 12:17 p.m.

What about lucky dog or champcar or even lemons??

tooms351
tooms351 Reader
12/6/21 1:01 p.m.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.wdcr-scca.org/bracket-racing&ved=2ahUKEwjO6Z2538_0AhXmRjABHd-DDWIQFnoECAcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw08tH5DueembCMumbwHZU1t                         I ran with these guys over the summer, New Jersey Motorsports Park and summit point. There were a few wild cars, also ran with the electric cars that were just out at thunderhill this weekend.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
12/6/21 1:30 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

What about lucky dog or champcar or even lemons??

Trying to comply with every bodies rules regarding roll cages is impossible. Things that are Required for SCCA for example are outright banned by Champcar or Lemons.  
   Regarding classification of your car. SCCA will require you to comply with GT1 rules but have no data on cars that are outdated.  I think you would be in the no man's land there.  Do your best to comply and you could be successfully protested for failure to comply. 
    SVRA is a national group of vintage racers for cars like yours. Depending on its manufacture date you probably would be in group 6.  There the rules are compliance with the rules in place for the date of manufacture. 
 Vintage racing is far more open and accepting of cars like yours. Plus the wheel to wheel racing has a no contact rule to avoid damage 

Amended;  I failed to notice 1980. You'd be in SVRA group 10. Which most groups also recognize. Since Group 10 and 12 perform at about the same level as group 6 you likely would be added to that group as well.  In other words something like GT3 I group 10 running with groups 6, 19, & 12. 
     To slightly clear that up.  You wouldn't be racing 454 Corvettes although you'd be on the track at the same time as them.  You'd be closer matched to cars with your performance.  

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/6/21 2:51 p.m.

To be legal in SCCA GT1 the vehicle needs to be listed in the rule book in the GT1 section. Most Regions have classes that allow cars that otherwise would fit a class but don’t for a technical reason. Check with the region.

I hope that’s as clear as dirty water rather than mud.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
12/6/21 3:00 p.m.

For SCCA W2W see what regional classes there are; things like RS (radial sedan) where the car just needed to be unibody and on treaded tires. There are some catch all classes that might work for you.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/6/21 3:09 p.m.

So, ive been doing quick reading on the various classes yall have discussed. 

Seems like scca: tt unlimited is it for time trials, and would translate to nasa pretty well in their tt classes. 

However, i cant seem to find the equivalent hillclimb class for scca. Am i missing it? I also cannot seem to find if they issue logbooks for these classes. 

And i think wheel to wheel is out of the running with this car. And if im honest, i doubt I'll ever get there. Irs a pipe dream on a social worker salary with a family. 

Kubotai
Kubotai New Reader
12/6/21 3:38 p.m.

Each hillclimb group tends to have their own set of classes.  Pennsylvania Hillclimb Assoc. (PHA) has a couple of sets of auto-x classes, the GCR road race classes and a few classes that they made up like the Special classes (basically unlimited except for safety requirements).  The group that runs Chasing the Dragon and Pine Mountain have slightly different classes but do have a Special class as well.  I think the New England Hillclimb group is quite a bit different but I'm not really familiar with them.  I'm not sure if there are classes other than Special that you can fit into - you would have to go through the rules for each group.  They generally publish a set of Supplemental Rules and that is where these classes will show up.  I know that PHA will issue a logbook for all hillclimb cars but this is a Time Trial / Hillclimb log book which seems to be a little different from a road race log book.  

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
12/6/21 4:12 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Does your local vintage club have a catch all class?

The one I run with does and I know a few others do.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UHclVd8lT0O8qGZAOxz5FjdBTROA3z2vsggnBWf1EO8QQwEJyBgqXPCEFpOclRGC