David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/15/23 11:27 a.m.
feature_image

What’s your dream race car? The SCCA would like to know.

Specifically, what chassis would you like to see favored by the club’s forthcoming Club Spec program?

What’s Club Spec? It’s a new initiative that aims to capture the magic of Solo Spec Coupe–one car, one setup–yet would expand across the various SCCA venues. So, in the end, members would …

Read the rest of the story

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
8/16/23 7:06 a.m.

I'm very interested to see what car(s) they choose and what the modification packages look like. I like driving more than I like building and tweaking so this formula appeals to me.

It looks like they're talking about having a modification package for all cars and a separate optional "safety and durability" package for the track. I hope they have a way to performance balance the cars that aren't running the track package. Otherwise, I don't see how a car lugging around 70 pounds of rollbars and oil coolers would be competitive with the cars that aren't carrying the extra weight in an autocross setting. If your track version of the Club Spec car isn't competitive with the autocross version, the whole idea of "one car for all disciplines" is broken. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/23 7:09 a.m.

Late 1990s Corolla.

David S. Wallens
8/16/23 9:06 a.m.

This reminds me that I still need to take the latest survey. (Just because I wrote the news item doesn’t mean that I followed it.)

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/16/23 9:08 a.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

minimum weights maybe? cars that aren't running the oil cooler etc would have to bolt on some steel plates to offset the weights

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/16/23 9:10 a.m.

maybe sacrilegious, but I don't think the SCCA needs more miata based classes, especially if this eventually expands to involve wheel to wheel racing. As a Cayman owner, the 987 cayman would be fun but a bit too pricey. I think the earlier mustang or BRZ would be a good bet

David S. Wallens
8/16/23 9:10 a.m.

Or maybe tire/wheel width, too. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B4YMyJTc3vhVXgWszNKyNnBOySpMqOfevpUZ81qyjW0jk0S2GD992Y8pkn5OYEvv