1 2 3
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher Emeritus
12/20/23 4:27 p.m.

I started writing these columns some 40 years ago. Initially, I thought in a year or two I would be back at a real job, having written off the magazine business as a learning experience.

Turns out that’s not what happened, and I have built my life around this and our sister magazine, Classic Motorsports. And while hopefully that …

Read the rest of the story

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/20/23 4:49 p.m.

Cheers Tim!! Well done and best wishes to Tom (and the whole team) going forward. GRM is a great business that has evolved and earned enormous good will. 

Nicole Suddard
Nicole Suddard GRM+ Memberand Marketing Coordinator
12/20/23 5:03 p.m.

heart

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/20/23 5:33 p.m.

Congratulations, Tim! Hopefully your voice won't be entirely absent from these pages in the future. 

Even if it were, however, the marks you've made on the community remain indelible. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/23 5:36 p.m.

Thank you for starting this adventure Tim, and thank you for challenging Tom to take it over, and then actually following through with it. You should be proud of your work and the team, nay family, that you have assembled. Enjoy a well-earned semi-retirement!

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/20/23 5:43 p.m.

Job well done Tim.  Enjoy the spoils. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/20/23 5:49 p.m.

Congratulations Tim and Tom! 

Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
12/20/23 6:25 p.m.

Cheers and best wishes for the future.  Having been aware of GRM since it's inception when I was in college, it doesn't seem like it's been that long!  Thank you for your publication, the community that's built up here online, and for all the good advice that has come from those sources. 

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
12/20/23 6:49 p.m.

Bravo!  

And I know what it is like to conclude that your son is a taller, better looking, smarter version of yourself.  It is not a bad feeling.  

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/20/23 6:58 p.m.

Congrats to both of you. This is such a great magazine(s) and community. Thank you for building this for all of us to enjoy and cheers to you for fostering your sons development to be able to take the reins!

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/20/23 7:11 p.m.

Great article and thank you! yes

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
12/20/23 8:03 p.m.

Well said, Dad, and here's to 40 more years!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
12/20/23 8:08 p.m.

Side note/fun piece of GRM trivia: For nearly 20 years now, both Tim and I have occasionally gotten emails saying "You idiot, you spelled your name wrong in your last article!" 

We definitely misspell stuff sometimes, but usually not our names. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman UltraDork
12/20/23 8:52 p.m.

"We were not going to give it to him and we were not going to sell it to him. I told him that if he wanted it, he would need to take it from us."

It's a pretty good motto, even though he was your son he still had to start near the bottom of the company and work his way into where he is at now. Helps give a good amount of respect to all the positions it takes for a company to succeed. 

As being part of a generational business myself I think it was difficult for each generation to start to give up their control, ownership. 

Tom will need to start working on the next generation. 

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
12/20/23 9:12 p.m.

Publisher Emeritus has a great ring to it. Well deserved, and all the best to you. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
12/20/23 11:03 p.m.

Well deserved is right - congratulations to the entire family.  

I used to sell to a lot of 2nd generation pump rep firms that were aging out so the challenge was how to get the 3rd generation involved.  A few weren't interested and sold to the employees.  So you have 40 years to figure it out. 

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
12/20/23 11:23 p.m.

Well earned, Tim!  My wife and I remember two starry-eyed kids with a dream, and here we are 40 years later, all of us still playing with cars, and along the way you and Margie built the best car magazine(s) in America, bar none, and that's a fact.    You also built the best internet forum in the world, and I think the whole family here will agree on that.  You done good.  Enjoy going forward, GRM appears to be in good hands.  The passion continues.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
12/21/23 4:03 a.m.

Commiserations to Tam, Tem, and Tum.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/21/23 4:44 a.m.

Grassroots: The Next Generation. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
12/21/23 7:56 a.m.

Congrats to all...............a family success story. I first subscribed when it was a paper publication called AutoX when I was in college in the mid 80s and have subscribed ever since. I have also participated in the GRM Rolex experience for years.  Well done all, I look forward to the future and all that it will bring with Tom at the helm. Thanks for the memories and Tim enjoy your well deserved (semi) retirement. Peace.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/21/23 8:17 a.m.

GRM kicks ass!  Great work Gents!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
12/21/23 8:22 a.m.

That's fantastic!  

(I'm a bit jealous!)

Congratulations to the entire family!

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/23 8:48 a.m.

Tim, congratulations to you. 

Another congratulations on raising a son who is willing and capable of stepping up to fill your shoes. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/21/23 9:44 a.m.

Kudos to all of the Suddards, both new and old! As well as to the rest of the (very long tenured) staff. What a wonderful success story!

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
12/21/23 10:06 a.m.

It's been an amazing ride to watch and be part of.  So many memories.

Having twice spent a week on the road in a race car with Tom, I can attest to his worthiness in every regard...passionate, knowledgeable and fearless.  Especially on a wet race track with the wrong tires on the car.  That speaks to good parenting and mentorship.

Retirement is a lovely thing and if you're like me, you'll end busier than ever. But way less stressed.

All the best.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tenGkUiJGttWBJ0OBiSkZFsKMP5GPxwgK1XjnWTk2JFgcsqtp7SFLNuUtHKtlmLK