1 2 3
HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
2/10/12 9:29 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: How much do you think this cost? (Reno race engine Roll Royce V-12)

Presumably the plane that it was in made it back to the ground in one piece & right side up. It could have cost much much more.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
2/10/12 10:24 p.m.

Oil pan of a Ferrari 348 Challenge car...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/12 12:29 a.m.

not sure if this qualifies as blown. These bits came out of the oilpan of my dead saab 2.1

Moving_Target
Moving_Target New Reader
2/11/12 2:38 a.m.

Engine I pulled out of the E36 318is I adopted.

The engine is going to be replaced with a warmed up SBF 5.0/T5.

backstory as I understand it: Previous, previous owner was driving it 2 winters ago on the highway and didn't notice the PCV system had frozen up and pushed most of the oil out of the crankcase. . The starter even got hit by the shrapnel though I had to remove the starter to see it.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
2/11/12 6:12 a.m.

A few years ago, I was flagging at an EMRA time trial at Pocono and a guy was running a 4 wheel drive Celica. This ejected from the bottom of the car, but the car kept slowly running back into the pits (oiled up the racing surface, but still sort of amazing). It was still really hot when I attempted to pick it up.

We gave it back to him later. ie-"Uhhhh....this is your's."

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/12 8:30 a.m.

Some place I have a photo of a 302 mustang motor that split in half vertically along the crank. Not really spectacular to look at until you really study it. The problem was not discovered until the motor was removed and partially torn down. If I remember it had some thing to do with a particular casting run.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/12 8:39 a.m.

not nearly as impressive as some of the others, but in the bottom right of this pic you'll see a connecting rod and wrist pin in the #8 bore of the engine that came out of my V8 944. PO (board member "crash", MIA since 2006 ) if you look closely, you'll notice there's a good chunk of cylinder wall missing as well.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
2/11/12 8:49 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

If you put too much power in them, that's the way they break.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
2/11/12 10:57 a.m.

Just found this one on Bangshift, 4700 cubic inches of BOOM. http://bangshift.com/blog/incredible-carnage-photos-what-happens-when-a-4700ci-caterpillar-mining-dump-truck-engine-explodes.html

mad_machine
2/11/12 4:06 p.m.
Moving_Target wrote: Engine I pulled out of the E36 318is I adopted. The engine is going to be replaced with a warmed up SBF 5.0/T5. backstory as I understand it: Previous, previous owner was driving it 2 winters ago on the highway and didn't notice the PCV system had frozen up and pushed most of the oil out of the crankcase. . The starter even got hit by the shrapnel though I had to remove the starter to see it.

Did it crack the bellhousing too?

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
2/11/12 4:32 p.m.

I can't find the pictures, but on a long-offline Saturn forum, I recall seeing pictures of an S-series block that, we'll just say, didn't quite stand up to a 100-shot of nitrous. The oil pan was holding the block together, all 4 pistons cracked or disintegrated, all for con-rods bent or snapped, all 16 valves bent, broken, or disintegrated. It was smashing good fun.

Moving_Target
Moving_Target New Reader
2/11/12 4:35 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: Did it crack the bellhousing too?

Yuppers. The lower cast iron mounting ear of the block was emancipated and since the bellhousing was part of the greater union, it got pushed to separate as well. Quite tragic.

The bellhousing is probably repairable by Tig welding but I don't know the condition of the internals since I bought it already blow'd up.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/11/12 5:10 p.m.

Some pretty nice carnage here. All the stuff I blowed up was pre digital camera and I also tried to forget it. When the #1 rod in one of my MGBs let go, you could look down, see through the side of the engine and the oil pan straight to the ground. #1 piston was at TDC when the head was removed, I tapped it and it fell to the bottom. The rod broke off ~1/4" below the piston pin hole.

About a year later I was doing something or other under the hood and found a chunk of block ~2" square laying at the rear of the right front frame rail.

mad_machine
2/11/12 5:36 p.m.

honestly, in all the cars I have had.. I only ever had one die from something other than rust. That was my 91 Saab 900. It was kind o a sickening feeling to know I killed it

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/12 7:01 p.m.

This one is rather spectacular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enS5R8ICA9k

Just skip to the head on shot of the cars coming down the track and then look at the couple shots when they look where the grill was an when they lift the hood.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cF4y2iY1ZEiWfMhdLZrFju7oLE0IGHgNtQ8mHjAIcRh4zzt8hRgVCX2UlYxJKs83