dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/27/12 6:09 p.m.

Does anyone have the wheel base of these cars? I know I am nuts but I would like the drive line of the 818 (with turbo) with the body of the GTM. I guess I could just drive down to FF and see if they would let me measure one up. I also know that with a welder a chop saw and fiberglass mat and fabric anything can be made to fit. However thinking about it I REALLY REALLY think that combination would be the one for me. A poor man's GTM but it would still be a respectable performer. Use the simple recipe of keeping weight down and say 300 HP from the turbo subaru motor should really make it scoot.

jmc14
jmc14 New Reader
10/27/12 6:32 p.m.

I think the GTM has a 101 inch wheelbase and is 74 inches wide. What's the width of the 818?

I

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
10/27/12 8:42 p.m.

I'm working on a GTM build now. Will measure wheelbase when I'm at the customers shop working on it tomorrow and report back. Might fire it up for the first time tomorrow.

Since everyone loves pics

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
10/28/12 11:51 p.m.

Owner said 101. We fired the LS2 today.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
10/29/12 9:00 a.m.

What's the GTM end up weighing?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
10/29/12 9:13 a.m.

I really really want to like the GTM, but to me the styling just doesn't work, the roof line starts falling away too quickly after the windscreen header giving it a squashed frog look, where the 818, unlike popular opinion over here I really like a lot. Doesn't matter, I'm not shopping for either, I'm just glad they both exist.

Q to OP, why are you asking? I don't see these cars as competitors to each other. I see the 818 more as a Westfield eqiv and the GTM more in the Ultima camp.

Not so Ninja edit. OK, I re read and now see, my guess is very different sizes.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
10/29/12 9:18 a.m.

From Factory 5 brochure:

GTM:
Wheelbase 101"
Overall length 171.5"
Track F/R 60.5" / 62"
Height 42.5"
Width 74"
Weight 2435lb's

From the FF site on the 818:
Factory Five Space Frame Chassis, 95″ Wheel Base

From the Internet, WRX Track F/R 58.5" / 58.3"
So 2-4" differnece there. I know it will not be the same as the base WRX, but it has to be close given drive shaft lengths etc.

So a 6" difference in wheelbase alone. Are there more details in the design thread?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/29/12 9:45 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I really really want to like the GTM, but to me the styling just doesn't work, the roof line starts falling away too quickly after the windscreen header giving it a squashed frog look, where the 818, unlike popular opinion over here I really like a lot.

I tend to agree. There is something about the GTM that seems "off" to me. That said, they look pretty cool in race livery:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PhRdlfkl522gAxEUmQhp19JscGRyvMVOePAY6LrnbfeKvvBe8M1aljuCgsZD94Wj