1 2
Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
8/6/15 8:58 a.m.

yet...

780hp in 1300lbs

I think I'd sacrifice some weight savings to add a trans tunnel and scattersheild...

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
8/6/15 9:01 a.m.

Oh my. I would add a tunnel and scattershield as well. Probably would add mufflers and side pipes as well.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/6/15 9:03 a.m.

That looks like fun!

It also looks like he put the pedals behind the bell housing so he gets to keep his legs when the bomb goes off. Maybe he figures he can just pull his knees up to his chest. That sure does not look like a blow-proof bell housing. LOL.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/15 9:05 a.m.

Make sure you never rest your arm between the seats

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
8/6/15 9:05 a.m.

What? No big block? Girlyman car.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
8/6/15 9:15 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Make sure you never rest your arm between the seats

Or wear any loose article of clothing...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
8/6/15 9:40 a.m.

Oh my, oh my oh my. That has serious awesome sauce potential. A Sprint car-izd dune buggy frame thing. It has the basis there for an awesome street legal A-Mod monster that would scare Punxsutawney Phil back into his hole forever ensuring endless summer, either that or it will melt the ice caps so fast we will be in endless summer. Or it could just be such fun it feels like endless summer. Whatever, I WANT IT. Screw handling finess, big ass mofo tires and massive torque look like fun to me.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
8/6/15 10:29 a.m.

I can't imagine that mechanical fuel injection working well on the street, but that can be easily rectified.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
8/6/15 11:03 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: I can't imagine that mechanical fuel injection working well on the street, but that can be easily rectified.

I can't imagine that being intended for the street.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/6/15 11:06 a.m.

Looks like a pretty poorly designed/executed frame/cage as well.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
8/6/15 11:54 a.m.

In reply to jstein77:

I was referring to Adrian's comment.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
8/6/15 12:22 p.m.

That is a great drivetrain donor and nothing else.

It has a poorly designed frame with IRS and a solid front axle.

A drivetrain completly exposed to the passengers, making it illegal anywhere (street or track)

I feel for the guy because he obviously spent a lot of money on this, but it ends up being less then the sum of its parts.

I honestly have no idea what you could possibly do with that thing.

Adrian_Thompson
8/6/15 12:27 p.m.

I'm not saying it's great execution, but it looks like more fun than a barrel of monkeys. I think it was probably a dune buggy frame with a leading arm spring car suspension grafted on. The gas tank is where the Bug flat 4 would have resided. Yes it would certainly need a scatter shield, driveshaft look and tunnel to make it even remotely non fatal, but hell, wouldn't you?

It reminds me of a front engined version of these, the UVA F33 and Can-Am of the 80's.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
8/6/15 12:36 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: I honestly have no idea what you could possibly do with that thing.

Put a trans tunnel/firewall and scattershield, and drive it. Much like any other street legal dune buggy:

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/6/15 12:44 p.m.

I'd drive it.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
8/6/15 12:47 p.m.

Dunno if I'd be brave enough.

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
8/6/15 1:21 p.m.

i have always dreamed of doing such a thing to a cheap, non-running CL dune buggy

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
8/6/15 1:33 p.m.

looks like it does have a scattershield in it: that's not a stock bellhousing with the starter pointed back like that. definitely a race car part, and it's hooked to a "race car" transmission.

Toebra
Toebra Reader
8/6/15 7:05 p.m.
WilD wrote:

or shorts or short sleeve shirts

You could change the starter without getting out of the car though, so there is that.

Adrian_Thompson
8/7/15 7:54 a.m.
Toebra wrote:
WilD wrote:

So you are saying drive it in the buff then?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/7/15 8:08 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: yet... 780hp in 1300lbs I think I'd sacrifice some weight savings to add a trans tunnel and scattersheild...

I bet I could encase that with the outer hull of a Z3 so I could rallycross it.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/7/15 8:17 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Toebra wrote:
WilD wrote:

In this thing? Absolutely. When the high speed chase ensues, and they try to box you in or spike strip you, then you just go off the roads, and carry on until you run out of gas.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/7/15 11:01 a.m.

I looked at those pictures and went to the E.R. immediately just to be checked out. It looks that dangerous.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
8/7/15 11:21 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Toebra wrote:
WilD wrote:

Either in the buff (recommend sunscreen) or platidip your entire body (recommend blue so people just think you one of the Blue Man group on the way to a gig).

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
8/7/15 9:07 p.m.

First, that's a nice shop. Secondly while it may not be a testament to safety all of the parts are top notch, the welds actually look to be pretty good and there isn't anything on it that appears to be bailing wired or cobbled together. For all we no the guy had additional plans that never got finished.

Tom

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wUofTI8B3ZVQpOAItNXbb2cuSLyuuqicXaINZSAOtAc8Zvc8Y2fDm9VT9aZJfrPC