1 2
SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/9/13 11:17 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: There is even one (92 400E with 130k) with a broken timing chain for sale right now. Is this an interference design? How much of a pain is it to fix?

Read my above post, YES it is an interference design and if the chain goes the motor is pretty much toast, cheaper to buy another than to fix. 300E models are a lot easier to work on, and arguably more durable.

M3Loco
M3Loco Reader
7/10/13 6:22 a.m.

Thanks for the reminder.

I'll scour through the records on Friday and see if it was done. I hope so. I might have the owner request all the inspection reports from the Benz Dealer too.

Is this a DIY, or a Independent requirement type of thing?

SlickDizzy
7/10/13 8:55 a.m.

It can be DIY'ed but is not for the faint of heart. If you have never done a dual-row Euro V8 timing chain before it is probably best left to an Indy. The PeachParts forum has all the info. I believe it was cutter67 on this board who recently did it to a BMW V8, very similar job.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
7/10/13 3:22 p.m.

Slick Dizzy do you roll the timing chain in like the older V8s? I think the hard part of a time chain job is keeping the cams timed and getting to the guides. I don't know much about the m119 but I hear the hydraulic tensioners can be a pain to properly set on the older engine.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
7/10/13 10:54 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: ...dual-row Euro V8 timing chain...

I just threw up in my mouth a little. That sounds like no fun at all...

SlickDizzy
7/10/13 11:52 p.m.
benzbaronDaryn wrote: Slick Dizzy do you roll the timing chain in like the older V8s? I think the hard part of a time chain job is keeping the cams timed and getting to the guides. I don't know much about the m119 but I hear the hydraulic tensioners can be a pain to properly set on the older engine.

Yeah, you can roll in the chain but as you note the guides are the hard part. Not sure about the tensioners, I'm going off info from a buddy who is a local Euro indy. He did say it's a bitch of a job, no doubt.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
7/11/13 1:19 p.m.

Just because a car is a V8 double roller euro engine doesn't mean it is impossible to change a time chain. People on the mercedes forum with little mechanical knowledge have done chain, tensioner, and upper guides on the m117.

I'd bet on the m119 the hard part is pulling all the crap out of the way to get at the timing chain/guides.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/11/13 1:34 p.m.

The guys at the indie shop used to roll them in all the time, if you have a helper to keep tension on the new and old chains it's not hard at all. But if it's busted already I'd keep looking because dayumn the valve gear on those things are expensive to fix even on a DIY basis.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
7/11/13 1:54 p.m.

As I understand it, at least on the older merc OHC V8, you aren't worried about the chain (if it been maintained) anywhere near as much as you're worried about a guide chipping up and derailing the chain and/or clogging the oil pickup.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1aDLFd8FN1rOJMjocb7Acd69A9rMQMwwVij62vr4mp1lDpNenXxvDnjyvgvu067p