1 2 3 4
Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
11/29/11 7:57 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair, Aussie, btp76:

Thanks for the advice. Ill get a light on it and look into the TV cable.

In reply to Aussie:

Ill probably mess with the fuel injection for now. If it gets to be a hassle I'll throw a carb on it.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
11/29/11 8:33 p.m.

Cool truck! I just had an eVil thought: since you are going to be splicing in steel etc why not make a 'Club Cab' by stretching the original? Now THAT would be different, to say the least.

It looks like there is at least one out there already.

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
11/29/11 9:31 p.m.

the TBI motors like the timing at about 10 BTDC- just make sure you unhook the brown wire that goes from the distributor to the ecm (there is a small black connector inline somewhere that you unhook when setting the timing, it's generally pretty close to the ecm) or it will just put the timing back where it was before.

if you relocate the MAP sensor or modify it's bracket, you can run pretty much any cheap chrome drop base 14" open element air cleaner.

that ecm isn't designed to be out in the open like that- GM put it up under the dash because it's not sealed like the newer stuff. it will be junk as soon as it gets rained on and heat from the exhaust will probably kill it pretty fast, too, so get it moved ASAP.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
11/29/11 9:39 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

Cool, thanks for the tips. I will probably keep the ugly air cleaner simply because it matches the "character" of the truck.

Ill make note on the moving the ecu and put it high on the list.

Volvo122
Volvo122 New Reader
11/29/11 9:44 p.m.

Very Cool Truck

Ed

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
11/30/11 12:17 a.m.
The cowl vent is pretty badass also. Newer cars just cant deal w/o AC like the older ones can.

Crotch vent FTW. I'm retrofitting one onto my toibo minivan.

Love the truck. Ive been considering an old 69 flatbed dually pretty heavily lately, glad to see im not alone in the sudden, unexplicable desire for ugly old trucks!

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
11/30/11 10:24 a.m.

There is a early 80's slant back car hauler in the junkyard up the road. I keep thinking it can't be too hard to swap to the dually rear end and throw the hauler bed on the back right?

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
11/30/11 10:41 a.m.

It's just nuts & bolts. 'nother 10 minute job.....

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/30/11 10:44 a.m.
Greg Voth wrote: There is a early 80's slant back car hauler in the junkyard up the road. I keep thinking it can't be too hard to swap to the dually rear end and throw the hauler bed on the back right?

You're in Florida, so it probably doesn't apply to you, but as I recall, the hauler bed significantly impacts how you have to be insured. The dually rear could never be anything but a plus though.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
11/30/11 10:49 a.m.
Greg Voth wrote: There is a early 80's slant back car hauler in the junkyard up the road. I keep thinking it can't be too hard to swap to the dually rear end and throw the hauler bed on the back right?

We can totally do it this weekend. I'll even volunteer my backyard for storing the other bed.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
11/30/11 10:50 a.m.

It will go under a classic policy. As long as I am not hauling for profit I hope it shouldn't matter.

So far an agreed value policy on the truck for $5000 has been quoted a just a bit over $100 per year. However I do have a couple cars on collectors insurance which helps the rate..

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
11/30/11 11:32 a.m.

This smells like awesome. And rust, grease, and gasoline.....but I repeat myself.

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
11/30/11 12:53 p.m.

would you be hauling a car on this? you have to keep in mind that you are still only running a 1/2 ton frame with a 1/2 ton front suspension and brakes- even if it is a 1/2 ton Suburban frame.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
11/30/11 1:18 p.m.

Hauling a light car yes (RX-7's and the like). I would plan on swapping the suspension and brakes but not the frame (although that may be easier in reality).

Either way its probably a pipe dream.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/30/11 4:07 p.m.
Greg Voth wrote: It will go under a classic policy. As long as I am not hauling for profit I hope it shouldn't matter. So far an agreed value policy on the truck for $5000 has been quoted a just a bit over $100 per year. However I do have a couple cars on collectors insurance which helps the rate..

Make sure about this. I tried to put clasic insurance through Haverty's on my '77 Bronco and when I mentioned I towed my Hobie Cat to the beach with it they immediately said "nope, no towing allowed".

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
11/30/11 9:20 p.m.
Greg Voth wrote:

I freakin love it! Checks all the right boxes for me, aside from the whole GM powertrain in a Ford thing.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
11/30/11 9:47 p.m.
Greg Voth wrote: The trans shifts quite firmly into second gear. It seems to hang on to the gears longer than most autos I'm used to (all newer cars). On full throttle it will chirp the tires hard into second.

Might have a mild stall converter and shift kit.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/30/11 10:16 p.m.

Yeah, can't say much about stock drivetrains myself

not all of them use hoods

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
11/30/11 10:24 p.m.

In reply to CLynn85:

Eh.. the majority of the my cars either have or are undergoing cross make transplants. (2) 302 RX-7's, an LS1 RX-7, 5.0 Volvo, 305 Spitfire and now this. Thanks for the compliment though. I think of it as a Ford cab on top of a chevy chassis.

I am not so sure about a shift kit given the stockness and nonperformance of everything else.

I am seriously considering lowering it but getting stiffer springs and helper shocks to retain towing capability.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
11/30/11 10:25 p.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

I would much prefer a hood however.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
12/1/11 4:10 p.m.

Nothing to add..........just wanted to bump the thread up so I don't have to go looking for it every time I want to see the pictures again.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
12/1/11 4:15 p.m.

Ha. I must admit I have looked at the thread just to see the truck. Even though its in my driveway. Really want to get tags on this thing however my birthday is only ten days away and FL doesn't prorate registration.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
12/19/11 12:06 p.m.

Truck is now tagged and titled.

Went to Gainesville and picked up a hood ($100) on Saturday and mounted it that night. Got to see diyintorace and unload some rims and tires on him (thanks!), a disc brake swap for Rob's 68 Mustang, and some parts for Steve's DD truck. Much thanks to Steve for the use of his truck and blowing a day running around.

Got the shift linkage working on Sunday. Been driving it around with no issues. It does not appear to be overheating (not spitting coolant) since the fan rewire. Without guages I can't be sure so I am going to try get some old aftermarket stuff thats laying around to work. Also picked up some "period correct" foglights from the junkyard.

The truck drives pretty well but is loud above 50mph. The hood and functional shift linkage make it much more of a complete and functional vehicle. Once I mount the brake switch it should be pretty much done. Holding the switch while driving is a PITA.

Some more pics.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
12/19/11 3:07 p.m.

In a further update the shifter linkage broke where the PO welded it on the column. It was a little suspect to begin with and let go after about three trips using it.

Should just be able to grind down the weld clean it up and reweld.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/19/11 4:19 p.m.

Seriously man, that truck rocks

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jRsrnPxXJZmHS4f2SwnaR4yC2yKhetENS3mokc04yHlAaCCwP1zmQMILaN5eZbuj