redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch Reader
4/8/10 8:52 p.m.

i took out the f23 bottom end/f22a1 head engine out of my car. the engine had MASSIVE amounts of blowby. i suspected broken ringlands as the cause. that was definitely the problem. air was billowing out the catch-can filter like it was the exhaust pipe. two years at 350-420 whp, and around 300 Wtq on a stock engine will sometimes do that (along with suspected not-race-gas "race gas"-thanks Gas City)

i just put the same engine back in.

i did nothing to the block except hone it. the same main bearings are in it.

i reused the headgasket. for the 4th time.

i put a stock set of pistons/rings/rods in. they have 100k+ miles on them. i took them out of athiest's Moms old engines that supposedly knocked.

i reused those rings.

the head is the same. it was pretty cool.

the rod bearings got changed. that cost 34 dollars

i rebuilt my engine for 34 dollars (splurged for OEM bearings. HAHA)

and.....it seems great. CROSSES FINGERS 10s in a crappy civic here we come.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/8/10 9:00 p.m.

You're supposed to replace all that stuff when you pull the engine apart !!!! Oh and paint everything too.

I bet you didn't even rebuild the transmission and replace all of the hoses and mounts and wiring harness and repaint the engine bay too!

redzcstandardhatch
4/8/10 9:28 p.m.
racinginc215 wrote: That's not a rebuild that's some half assed E36 M3 we use to do at the drag strip to make the final rounds.

i know.

i'm laffing at myself

pres589
pres589 Reader
4/8/10 9:36 p.m.

I'm sure that busted off bits of ringland did the cylinder bores many favors.

egnorant
egnorant Dork
4/8/10 9:52 p.m.

A friend asked me to check his engine and I diagnosed a blown head gasket. As we pulled the valve cover he made a descision to just torque the head down. His torque specs were as tight as he could get them with a 2 foot breaker bar and an impact socket.

5 months and it still runs great! go figure!

Bruce

redzcstandardhatch
4/9/10 6:29 a.m.
pres589 wrote: I'm sure that busted off bits of ringland did the cylinder bores many favors.

they look PERFECT. hard to believe (was missing a cylinder and everything). all the broken chunks were just sitting neatly where they should be

redzcstandardhatch
4/9/10 6:30 a.m.
egnorant wrote: A friend asked me to check his engine and I diagnosed a blown head gasket. As we pulled the valve cover he made a descision to just torque the head down. His torque specs were as tight as he could get them with a 2 foot breaker bar and an impact socket. 5 months and it still runs great! go figure! Bruce

i've never heard of that actually working. SO MINT

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/9/10 6:32 a.m.
redzcstandardhatch wrote:
pres589 wrote: I'm sure that busted off bits of ringland did the cylinder bores many favors.
they look PERFECT. hard to believe (was missing a cylinder and everything). all the broken chunks were just sitting neatly where they should be

Sometimes you get lucky like that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pGex6VsH2jLq1SRTrnf5ycTV3Ls4yxC2GmgSB426MIZ3t9RSIqACLxs1Eri7qFoI