1 2 3
M030
M030 Dork
6/26/15 5:22 p.m.

I only picked flat black because it's cheap and seems to be a popular thing to do to BMWs. My goal is to make this rolling piece of 1994 hideousness all one color so I can sell it. Surprisingly, it runs great, but I only wanted the 3.91 limited slip differential for my car (98 323iS 2dr/manual) and now that I've got it, and I put the open diff back in the ugly four door, I need to dump said ugly four door. So I ask you, what's the cheapest path to an all-(flat) black paint job? Rattle cans? Roller? (looks like the current paint was applied with a wet duck's ass, so that may be an option, too)

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
6/26/15 5:39 p.m.
M030 wrote: (looks like the current paint was applied with a wet duck's ass, so that may be an option, too)

You owe me a keyboard from all the Pepsi I just shot out my nose. Thanks.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
6/26/15 6:05 p.m.
MCarp22 wrote:
M030 wrote: (looks like the current paint was applied with a wet duck's ass, so that may be an option, too)
You owe me a keyboard from all the Pepsi I just shot out my nose. Thanks.

Me too, 'cept it was French Silk pie that hit my keyboard.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
6/26/15 6:31 p.m.
M030 wrote: I only picked flat black because it's cheap and seems to be a popular thing to do to BMWs.

And we can only hope that fad dies soon. Personally, I'd do anything but flat black.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/26/15 6:49 p.m.

Bedliner if you have the balls.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
6/26/15 6:50 p.m.

Red Plasti-Dip rattle cans

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
6/26/15 6:58 p.m.

Tractor supply implement paint. 30 bucks a gallon.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
6/26/15 7:26 p.m.
M030 wrote: seems to be a popular thing to do to BMWs

Don't forget the stretched tires!

I vote camo-you're halfway there already!

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
6/26/15 7:29 p.m.
mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/26/15 7:37 p.m.

Either sell it as is, or do a decent paint job. Not many people want a poorly painted car. I'd rather see what's underneath

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
6/26/15 7:40 p.m.
M030 wrote: I only picked flat black because it's cheap and seems to be a popular thing to do to BMWs. My goal is to make this rolling piece of 1994 hideousness all one color so I can sell it. Surprisingly, it runs great, but I only wanted the 3.91 limited slip differential for my car (98 323iS 2dr/manual) and now that I've got it, and I put the open diff back in the ugly four door, I need to dump said ugly four door. So I ask you, what's the cheapest path to an all-(flat) black paint job? Rattle cans? Roller? (looks like the current paint was applied with a wet duck's ass, so that may be an option, too)

Obvious solution is a squid fed duck with a dry ass for that flat black finish. Go for it and post pics.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
6/26/15 7:47 p.m.
mr2peak wrote: Either sell it as is, or do a decent paint job. Not many people THAT COME HEREwant a poorly painted car. I'd rather see what's underneath

Most average people couldn't care less as long as it's one color. Walk around a used car lot sometime.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/26/15 7:53 p.m.

Check and see what this months special is a Maaco.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
6/26/15 8:20 p.m.

Wrap or plastidip.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/15 8:57 p.m.

We got a Toyota land cruiser in the shop that was done in a metallic grey bed liner. They did somthing to make the crinkle very fine in texture. It looks killer.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/26/15 9:20 p.m.

Opti
Opti Reader
6/26/15 9:32 p.m.

Maaco it up white, E36 M3 paint work is harder to see in white, and then you can sell it to more than flat brimmed kids.

fujioko
fujioko HalfDork
6/26/15 9:34 p.m.

For a quickie respray with good results, try rustoleum satin black shot with a cheapo harbor freight gun. A splash of acetone will thin it just enough. Two qts should be plenty.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
6/26/15 9:53 p.m.

I'd roll semi-gloss white Rustoleum.

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
6/26/15 11:07 p.m.

If you just want to sell it (and for cheap I am assuming) then Maaco or Plastidip sounds like the best route. I've never seen a rattle can job that looks good so I'd suggest either of those. The person that buys a beat up BMW probably lacks the common sense to know better and doesn't have much money anyway.

M030
M030 Dork
6/26/15 11:33 p.m.

In reply to Junkyard_Dog:

Precisely! I only want $500 for it the way it sits. The two tone has been keeping it from selling and the sides are already semi-flat black. I'm looking to spend less than $200 making it all one color in the hopes of getting somebody to give me $$700 for the finished product. I'm $1460 into this BMW project and I'm trying tto build the other car (98 323iS) into my first Challenge contender. That car has been auto-to-manual swapped and is now fitted with the 3.91:1 LSD rear that was originally in the two-tone turd we're discussing.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
6/27/15 6:22 a.m.

I would definitely go with a vinyl wrap. If not, Rustoleum spray paint looks pretty good when applied correctly.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
6/27/15 6:44 a.m.

If you go rattle can, do one panel at a time and be patient.

Tractor enamel is tough paint. Gallon is cheap, easy to thin out on a paint gun but you are not able to multi coat at once or it will run. You'll need 3 days for 3 coats and clean the gun out well before hand. Test spray on something else first. They do sell Tractor paint in spray cans. I've used Farm and Fleet and Tractor Supply and like Farm and Fleet better (but I do not live by one any longer).

You can change the texture of roll on bed liner with how you apply it. A roller will be rougher, the more so you keep rolling over what is applied. If you use a brush and "blot" it on in light coats, the texture will be a little smoother and much more even. Be sure before applying that it's sanded down/roughed up good so it doesn't peel in a couple of years from the sun. Learned this the hard way.

M030
M030 Dork
6/27/15 8:43 a.m.

If I go with spray cans, how many cans of paint will I need to do the whole car?

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
6/27/15 9:47 a.m.

rattle can flat black works out pretty well, since it doesn't show up imperfections in prep/application like gloss coats do. My GT6 is rattle-canned black and gets plenty of complements as long as you don't look too close....

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E0WwSWVMeGaiW1Tnr7FibNrt8lz32f85HUsOS6aQn7XXHnHZkQd5bV06jZTRwQBt