1 2 3
M030
M030 Dork
6/27/15 10:13 a.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Awesome! Thank you!

How many cans of paint did you need to do your GT6? What was the last grade of sandpaper you used before spraying the paint? What brand of paint did you use?

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
6/27/15 3:21 p.m.

It was a few years back, but my recollection is that it took 4-5 cans total (was already primed mostly black/dark gray). I think I used Rust-oleum professional flat or semi-flat black, but could be mistaken.

I hate sanding, so I'm sure I did a half-assed job using whatever relatively fine grit I had sitting around the garage, lol. Probably 220 wet-sanded, but don't quote me on it. The plan was always to do more sanding, and then get a "real" paint job, but I never got around to it and the car still has the rattle-can on it.

Again, it looks fine from 10 feet and in photos. In person it doesn't looks quite as good. Plus it shows scratches/scuffs pretty easily since it has no clearcoat to protect it (though I think you can get matte clearcoat).

slowcamaro
slowcamaro New Reader
6/27/15 4:53 p.m.

rustoleum 7777 satin black

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/27/15 5:08 p.m.

So you had a red car, and you want to paint it black...

Sure, but maybe not flat... Try Semi Gloss...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/27/15 5:20 p.m.

In reply to noddaz:

No colors anymore, he wants them to turn black.

I have nothing else to add other than flat white would be a better gig for reasons mentioned upthread. Also, satin black can look good when done well. But it is also apparently very, very, very easy to do poorly (in a "holy crap just scrap the car to preserve its dignity, it looked better when it was four colors" poorly)

M030
M030 Dork
7/2/15 6:40 a.m.

What grades of sandpaper should I use? From an old (1981) Hot Rod Magazine article, it looks like 220, then 320, then 400, then paint. But way back in 81, I don't think cheap paint and bodywork came out as nice as it does today. Suggestions?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
7/2/15 7:25 a.m.
M030 wrote: But way back in 81, I don't think cheap paint and bodywork came out as nice as it does today. Suggestions?

Quite the opposite. Back then you could glom on umpteen coats of lacquer and then wet sand it to perfection.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/2/15 7:40 a.m.

How bad is the orginal paint? Surface texture wise? If its fine, just scuff it with the 400 and give the new paint something to bite into.

M030
M030 Dork
7/2/15 7:54 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

I would never do this to a car with original paint. This crapcan has about three cheapie resprays covering its original paint already.Were it a more valuable car, I'd strip it down and do it right.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
7/2/15 10:55 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Bedliner if you have the balls.

Real men use chalkboard paint.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/2/15 11:03 a.m.

Another vote for agricultural paint

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
7/4/15 7:27 a.m.

I've used all three options (flat black spray, bedliner, and tractor enamel). Here are some examples.

The first is bedliner, from our 2000 Impala 9C1 (front and back ends) - and also 99 GMC Z71 (front bumper, hood, roof, "wheel flares", and bottom section):

photo DSCN1316_zpstsgcqzgq.jpg  photo DSCN1222_zps2f9b5bf5.jpg

photo DSCN1229_zps4151880d.jpg

photo DSCN0864_zpso0lwm9cg.jpg

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
7/4/15 9:03 a.m.

Here is a flat black spray can example, using Lowe's Valspar Satin Black spray cans. The roof was left as is, the fiberglass hood I used Rustoleum Hammer Tone black to help cover up flaws with some added paint thinner to give a weathered look (before and after pictures):

photo DSCN0709_zpsv1vlp7xs.jpg

photo DSCN0712_zpsbwmghzzs.jpg

photo DSCN0855_zpsnvpzvoqq.jpg

photo DSCN0893_zpscan6dbrx.jpg

photo DSCN0894_zpskxelwdm7.jpg

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
7/4/15 9:19 a.m.

I had a couple of projects (about 15 and 20 years ago) that I used Tractor enamel on. The 80 Dodge Power Wagon was three tone brown/orange/rust, with a red/while passenger door and black tailgate. I removed all of the trim, sand/bondo/patched the rust - and used Orange tractor paint. The grille and emblems scrubbed clean and painted chrome paint in a can. The rear agri hitch bumper painted with black grille paint.

The 69 Buick Electra was two shades of beige with gold spray paint in spots when I bought it. It became International Harvestor White, emblems cleaned and chrome painted spray can.

Both at the time cost 20 bucks for paint and 10 bucks for thinner.

Burnout photo on the Buick is and add just for fun

photo 033_33_zps9jkankcx.jpg

photo 034_34_zpsckbuvt2m.jpg

photo IMG014_zpspfpj5dqq.jpg

photo IMG016_zpsb7wxaeoj.jpg

photo 013_13_zps9u86azlj.jpg

photo 025_25_zps4dt1ebdx.jpg

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
7/4/15 10:26 a.m.

I hear that Orange is the new Flat Black.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/15 10:50 a.m.

I say loose the while in front (paint it red)(Ninja Edit: Or black) and keep the red and black theme. Kind of BMW "Art car" meet rat rod. I like it!!!!

Edit:

Then add a black strip o[ the center carried through the grill and over the roof through the trunk. If the trunk is black flip the stripe to red. That may actually look cool. Then do some "M" logos and those funky M angle lines on the fenter hood using flat clear coat. That would actually look kind of cool.

If you went flat black (or any color) you can do ghost logos with the clear

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/4/15 11:22 a.m.

I would paint it whatever color the inside of the door jams and engine bay is. Presumably that's red, given the roof and a-pillars?

M030
M030 Dork
7/4/15 12:07 p.m.

In reply to codrus:

Surprisingly it's silver underneath.somebody went to. Great lengths to make their (probably attractive) silver E36 this hideous

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/4/15 12:16 p.m.

In reply to M030:

I was told on GRM that silver is a horrible color for European cars because most of them are silver or gray or silver-gray.

(owner of a silver-gray European car)

(two, come to think of it)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/4/15 12:33 p.m.

Your price is too low. Raise it, and you will sell the car without painting it.

A $500 BMW is presumed to be crap, no matter what the condition. Anyone who wants basic transportation won't call, because they think it is nothing more than a parts car.

Bump it to $1250, and I'll bet it will sell.

If you do paint it, please don't use flat. Use satin (aka, matte finish).

Flat always looks like cheap primer. Satin (or matte) is a pretty good look on almost any car.

M030
M030 Dork
7/4/15 12:59 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

I'll make you a deal, Dean. You come here and get creative with it, make it awesome and I'll split the sale price of the car with you. We'll put it on eBay with great pictures of your custom work and no reserve.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
7/4/15 4:31 p.m.

White is the most forgiving. That BMW would look great in all white.

Paint it all white and ask for $3000

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Dork
7/9/15 5:21 a.m.
TIGMOTORSPORTS wrote:  photo 034_34_zpsckbuvt2m.jpg

How did that orange look in person? The pic makes it look a little too 'flourescent' rather than the more 'burnt' color that most good looking oranges have. I'm thinking about it for the rally car...

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
7/9/15 8:56 a.m.

I refuse to believe you can have a bad looking orange on a car.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/9/15 9:36 a.m.
ssswitch wrote: I refuse to believe you can have a bad looking orange on a car.

I am most certainly not going to disagree.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6aLOb8bgwuepvh7lCu8dl6LXEgznkUak9PnycOww6dEqnHdknFbPfkmJv0TIQxmH