1 2
stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/30/10 8:47 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: I actually owned a '76 Olds Cutlass coupe for three years. The thought of someone racing cars like that sends cold chills down my spine.

A Cutlass was only an intermediate size car back then, we're talkin' BIG cars here.

My daily driver for years was a '71 Catalina; it was no Miata, but for a boat as big as that one was it handled surprisingly well.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
9/30/10 8:57 a.m.

I assume Caddy Sedan Devilles and Fleetwoods of similar vintage are allowed? Always wanted a race-spec cadillac.

Raze
Raze Dork
9/30/10 9:14 a.m.
mndsm wrote: I assume Caddy Sedan Devilles and Fleetwoods of similar vintage are allowed? Always wanted a race-spec cadillac.

Now we're talking, I'm thinking late 60s Coupe Deville, that car was literally the most useless car man has ever created, as long as a full sized modern pickup, 7.7L of iron fury pushing two front seats which were useable with back seats fit for small children and a trunk that would fit a Smart Car, all rocking less than 10MPG... Now I want one

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/30/10 9:36 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
Wally wrote: At some point the track has to pass under an elevated train line Extra points if you slalom through the pillars
Check out what's waiting to get a green light.

Was the hood yellow on purpose or was that a beater Porsche?

In reply to Luke: Yes, the French Connection.

plance1
plance1 Dork
9/30/10 10:01 a.m.
mndsm wrote: I'd vote to ban the Newport though. As demonstrated in multiple demolition derbies, you cannot kill those things. They'd win by brute force and attrition more than anything else.

Dad had a black 4-door newport with a 440 4 barrell. Not a bad car, that is, until it caught on fire.

plance1
plance1 Dork
9/30/10 10:02 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
1988RedT2 wrote: I actually owned a '76 Olds Cutlass coupe for three years. The thought of someone racing cars like that sends cold chills down my spine.
A Cutlass was only an intermediate size car back then, we're talkin' BIG cars here. My daily driver for years was a '71 Catalina; it was no Miata, but for a boat as big as that one was it handled surprisingly well.

Exactly. You got it! Cutlass far too puny.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
9/30/10 10:14 a.m.
pres589 wrote: Why not use today's sedans? Homologation specials require 10,000 units sold to the public. And make them have to hit certain mile per gallon targets.

This is a great idea, use regular cars for a race series, let's see, we can call it....

Stock Car Racing

....oh, never mind.

Rustspecs13
Rustspecs13 New Reader
9/30/10 10:36 a.m.
stuart in mn wrote: My daily driver for years was a '71 Catalina; it was no Miata, but for a boat as big as that one was it handled surprisingly well.

By handled well you mean it took a corner and you didn't have to come to a complete stop all the time?

Sounds like a good idea (for a GRMer) big cars for the crash protection, and weight for entertainment. Sounds like all the entertainment for the spectators comes from crashing. We should call it NASC........

~Alex

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/30/10 11:15 a.m.
aircooled wrote:
pres589 wrote: Why not use today's sedans? Homologation specials require 10,000 units sold to the public. And make them have to hit certain mile per gallon targets.
This is a great idea, use regular cars for a race series, let's see, we can call it.... Stock Car Racing ....oh, never mind.

That is funny and unfortunately true at the same time.

Wally
9/30/10 11:15 a.m.

wcelliot
wcelliot HalfDork
9/30/10 11:22 a.m.

There was once this racing series that started down south with the same general idea... race big American cars with limited modifications. Using them as a model, I'd suggest your series would soon end up with artificially equalized silhouette racers on identical chassis... and I just couldn't take that kind of disappointment again in a single lifetime. ;-)

Wally
9/30/10 11:34 a.m.

At least one section of the course should be dirt

Cars can come from any country provided they are of substanitial size

Every pitstop comes with a car wash

This site is addicting http://imcdb.org/

kazoospec
kazoospec New Reader
9/30/10 11:53 a.m.

Ok, now I'm getting the concept. I propose all drivers must also have the seat leaned as far back as humanly possible and drive at all times with one hand holding a big gulp orange pop (or a 40 if you want it to be REALLY interesting) and the other resting on the top of the wheel only. Turns may be made only by maniacally spinning the wheel with one hand through its 17 turn, marginally power-assisted lock to lock turn cycle. Racers should also be assessed a one lap penalty for each hubcap remaining at the end of the race.

Wait, this is starting to sound a little bit like a Lemon's sub-series. . .

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
9/30/10 12:26 p.m.
Rustspecs13 wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: My daily driver for years was a '71 Catalina; it was no Miata, but for a boat as big as that one was it handled surprisingly well.
By handled well you mean it took a corner and you didn't have to come to a complete stop all the time?

Yeah, it wasn't all that bad. 1971 was the first year that all GM big cars went to a common chassis (prior to that each division used its own design) and the suspension geometry had been improved so they handled better than previous years. Front disk brakes were standard for the first time, too (as I recall they were 12" rotors.)

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Reader
9/30/10 12:34 p.m.

Drivers must start each race with the seat belt unfastened. Only when a competitor signals that they’re about to “get serious” (signaled by change to more ominous music) does the driver buckle the belt. Black leather driving gloves are required.

YaNi
YaNi Reader
9/30/10 3:26 p.m.
Zomby woof wrote: It's a great idea, but it will end up like that Geo Metro rally class in the NW. It sounds good, but people want to race cool cars, not grocery getters.

Would adding the castrol livery make it any more appealing?

pinchvalve wrote: Each team is equipped with a spec tool box: Duct Tape. Bailing Wire. Vice Grips. Screwdriver with bits stored in the handle. Socket set that you got free for opening a checking account. Large hammer. Bottle opener. Wire Coat Hanger. Knife. Assorted mis-matched nuts and bolts and screws laying in the bottom. Old french fries.

You forgot zip ties and a BFH; a "large hammer" won't cut it here... And how many checking accounts are you gonna have to open to get tools for every team?

Most importantly, this series requires a LeMans start. I want to watch as the entire field of American Stigs runs to their cars with the required can of starter fluid in hand and hoses the intake with ether to get em started.

plance1
plance1 Dork
9/30/10 5:08 p.m.

More info on this new series...

It will be an event that is hosted by GRM at the same time as that silly little Challenge thing I keep hearing about. (Disclaimer for Margie: The preceeding comment was made "tongue in cheek")

GRM will be responsible (notice how I delegate) for providing a suitable venue, preferably a road course. That's what I said, road course, no oval, circle, figure 8 blah, blah, blah.

It gets better....

GRM will actually buy the cars. Yup, they will buy them, lets say they go out and buy 10 clunkers. If you want a seat, you gotta put a deposit down either in advance or when you get there. Notice by the way how I am continuing to delegate. They will be in charge of rounding up some fine 70's machines. They will stick to a budget, say, I dunno, 2010 dollars each? Better yet, how about half the cost of the current year? Yeah,j I like that much better. So...You show up, you pay, you draw straws, you drive, or should I say you float.

Like most things I post, this started out as a joke, but the more I think about it.....

Keith_Goodrich
Keith_Goodrich New Reader
9/30/10 6:34 p.m.

All cars must be street legal and registered.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/30/10 8:58 p.m.

Awesome. But try and find a 70s era luxo-barge that hasn't returned to the Earth around here is damn near impossible.

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/30/10 9:13 p.m.

grandma had a '67 LeSabre. That thing was surprisingly peppy given it only had a 340 and a 2 speed. Let's race

Wally
9/30/10 9:34 p.m.
a401cj wrote: grandma had a '67 LeSabre. That thing was surprisingly peppy given it only had a 340 and a 2 speed. Let's race

AS big as they were they weren't that much heavier than cars today. That Lesabre was probably only a couple hundred lbs heavier than a new Camaro.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/30/10 9:39 p.m.

My Grandmother had a 72 Impala. It always amazed me that it would bark third gear. It was a boat, but I loved driving it back then.

Wally
9/30/10 11:24 p.m.

Because the wife and dog decided to go to bed early, and I have a few personality defects, I have come up with a course.

Feel free to follow along on Google Maps.

Start at LaGuardia Airport, Delta terminal. A lap of the airport exiting at 94 st. a right on 31st av, left Steinway st, right on Northern Blvd, over the Queensboro bridge to Manhattan. Go up 1st av, a left onto 110 st ,and a left into Central Park at West drive, hopefully a sunny afternoon to send the people running. Down West drive into 7th av. Music picks up as you run wide open through Times Square. Change gears constantly for effect. 7th ave sends you down Varick into West Broadway and the WTC Site. A quick left and right onto West st and into the Brooklyn Battery tunnel. Be sure to scrape the tunnel wall, the more sparks the better. Exiting the tunnel you hit the Northbound Brooklyn Queens Expressway, an everchanging collection of road work sites that could kill any car, and many drivers. Exit at Queens Blvd. A left at 51 Ave, another left at Junction Blvd, into 94 st and back to the Airport.

Hard to believe I'm taken isn't it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NPq5W1XxFVaVPV5rOihHadMzcQdBfhR9N7mG8S0O257zpRhd27DdKHRmdWEgcsO5