1 2
plance1
plance1 Dork
9/29/10 8:34 p.m.

and I gots to thinkin about a new racing series....

All cars must be stock American sedan's from the 1970's. (Caprice, Chrysler Newports, Ford LTD's, you know what I'm talking about, big ones) Station wagon's are ok of course. When I say stock I mean if you get in there and monkey with the engine, we claim your car, haha. You will be allowed to flip the air cleaner lid. But seriously, let me continue...

Must use the original size wheels that came on the car. New tires are allowed though.

Some safety equipment is allowed...but not too much.

This is far as I've gotten.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
9/29/10 8:41 p.m.

Why not use today's sedans? Homologation specials require 10,000 units sold to the public. And make them have to hit certain mile per gallon targets.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing HalfDork
9/29/10 8:41 p.m.

Shocks have got to be allowed but can't cost more than $50 per corner.

plance1
plance1 Dork
9/29/10 8:51 p.m.
pres589 wrote: Homologation

What did you call me??? Clearly, you're more Tyne Daly then Dirty Harry. Listen, I want big cars that use lots of gas. In fact, new rule, right now: Gas tanks can be as large as you want em to be. No, wait, let me go further, gas tanks can even be externally mounted so as everyone can actually see how big they are.

Oh yeah, shocks are optional.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
9/29/10 8:53 p.m.

Do you have to start every race with hubcaps, just so they can roll on off when you corner?

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
9/29/10 9:07 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: Do you have to start every race with hubcaps, just so they can roll on off when you corner?

drivers are required to pit at least twice per race or heat to replace all hubcaps that have fallen off so that the same hubcap can be seen coming off the same wheel three different times in a race.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds New Reader
9/29/10 9:15 p.m.

Oof. The tire budget will be $$$.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
9/29/10 9:34 p.m.

And you better have a track with large run off/gravel areas and long sweeping gradual turns or it might look more like a demolition derby than a race.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
9/29/10 9:36 p.m.

I was watching that movie today, too.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/29/10 10:23 p.m.

You know, I have actually lapped Road America in both a Caprice 9C1 and an Impala SS. The leather was too slippery.

maddabe
maddabe New Reader
9/29/10 11:00 p.m.

Exhaust must exit through the hood in a vertical fashion. Imagine the noise. It would be glorious! Crapcan Can-Am style? Who's with me?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/29/10 11:31 p.m.

At some point the track has to pass under an elevated train line

Extra points if you slalom through the pillars

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/29/10 11:35 p.m.

Can there be jousting to determine starting order?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/30/10 12:24 a.m.
Wally wrote: At some point the track has to pass under an elevated train line Extra points if you slalom through the pillars

Check out what's waiting to get a green light.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
9/30/10 12:29 a.m.

^i noticed that

Luke
Luke SuperDork
9/30/10 12:37 a.m.

Is that from the French Connection?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
9/30/10 6:20 a.m.

Segal: Out for justice...turd brown 9C1 caprice, V8, berms under the el, serious baddassery

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
9/30/10 6:29 a.m.
plance1 wrote: and I gots to thinkin about a new racing series.... All cars must be stock American sedan's from the 1970's. (Caprice, Chrysler Newports, Ford LTD's, you know what I'm talking about, big ones) Station wagon's are ok of course. When I say stock I mean if you get in there and monkey with the engine, we claim your car, haha. You will be allowed to flip the air cleaner lid. But seriously, let me continue... Must use the original size wheels that came on the car. New tires are allowed though. Some safety equipment is allowed...but not too much. This is far as I've gotten.

I actually owned a '76 Olds Cutlass coupe for three years. The thought of someone racing cars like that sends cold chills down my spine. That car was a big, wallowing pig that would bottom the suspension over any little hump in the road. The steering was perfectly numb without any feedback whatsoever. And even with 350 cubic inches and a big Quadrajet, the thing couldn't go faster than 80 mph no matter how long you kept your right foot pinned to the floor. Driving American cars of the 70's serves as a stinging reminder of just exactly how the American auto industry went down the E36 M3ter.

kazoospec
kazoospec New Reader
9/30/10 6:30 a.m.

You know, I had actually thought about a similar series w/old police package cars. And, as a bonus, most come with a push-bar already in place. Flying hubcaps pretty much doubles the awesomeness factor though.

Raze
Raze Dork
9/30/10 6:49 a.m.

I still like the idea of a Hyundai Accent Spec Racing Series...

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
9/30/10 7:44 a.m.
Raze wrote: I still like the idea of a Hyundai Accent Spec Racing Series...

It's a great idea, but it will end up like that Geo Metro rally class in the NW.

It sounds good, but people want to race cool cars, not grocery getters.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/30/10 7:47 a.m.

Each team is equipped with a spec tool box: Duct Tape. Bailing Wire. Vice Grips. Screwdriver with bits stored in the handle. Socket set that you got free for opening a checking account. Large hammer. Bottle opener. Wire Coat Hanger. Knife. Assorted mis-matched nuts and bolts and screws laying in the bottom. Old french fries.

I kept a '78 Cordoba and '77 Impala on the road for over 200,000 miles with that, so it should be more than enough for a 24-hour event.

chuckles
chuckles New Reader
9/30/10 7:48 a.m.

Best Thread Ever.

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
9/30/10 8:12 a.m.

What you propose is very similar to the early days of Improved Touring SCCA racing. There's a reason the rules have morphed into what they are today.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
9/30/10 8:20 a.m.

I'd vote to ban the Newport though. As demonstrated in multiple demolition derbies, you cannot kill those things. They'd win by brute force and attrition more than anything else.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wG66TpIfZf0jJ9QxTAzS9evdxi89X7LIXZPNe4aHuLWRwdEQD9XqmA97FcjXAnpC