1 2 3
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/10 10:57 a.m.
Kia_racer wrote: Cars, by Disney

I thought that Cars was a surprisingly good movie.

joepaluch
joepaluch Reader
5/10/10 11:10 a.m.

The love bug is the real shocker in this list. It is a basic kid's movie, but as time as aged the car stuff becomes very interesting. Lots of old (modern at the time) car stuff going on that I think getts better with age.

Grand Prix however stands above all others. Revolutionaly camera work. Amazing car shots and mix of racing and plot/acting that simply blow others away. Sure the plot is classic 60's, but it is real plot with a real story. Both intertwine. LeMans is better for pure racing, but you can tell they made the movie and then had to come up with a plot to fit all the racing scene together.

All the other movies are just too much of one or the other to have seriously look at racings.

Disney Cars is fun becuase of all the detail car stuff they put in. Even so being animated it just cannot have the appeal of live action.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/10/10 11:19 a.m.

There are good car movies, then there are movies that aren't vehicularly special but feature a memorable car or two. "The graduate" got me going on Alfas, While "Diva" introduced the Traction Avant and managed to make a 924 look menacing (no easy task).

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
5/10/10 12:27 p.m.
81gtv6 wrote: Any of the old Herbie movies, Thiunder Road. There is also a movie, I do not remeber the title, set in south America someplace. A group of people are payed to deliver some dynomite to a mine that is over a mountain with a crapy road over it. The people that take the job are set loose in a junkyard to build a truck and then set off. I saw it late one night on one of the movie channels and it was good. Anyway the movie is mostly about the cobbles together trucks these guys build.

Is this it?
http://www.criterion.com/films/370-the-wages-of-fear

It was also remade in 1977 (under a different title) with Roy Scheider: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076740/

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/10/10 1:39 p.m.

In reply to friedgreencorrado:

It was the Roy Scheider one, worth watching.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
5/10/10 1:54 p.m.

that movie sounds really interesting

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
5/10/10 3:26 p.m.

Good stuff so far I think I've seen all the movies mentioned...

I'll add Transporter 1 with the E38 (not 2 or 3 with the magic Audis).

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
5/10/10 5:37 p.m.

Dust to Glory.

4eyes
4eyes Reader
5/10/10 5:40 p.m.

When "King of the Mountain" first came out. It showed in our small town theater for only three days. I saw it all three nights. I couldn't believe someone made a movie about guys like me.

Don't tell anyone, but Cars made me cry.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/10/10 9:18 p.m.

Since all the usual choices are taken, (Used Cars was a fun movie btw, glad it was brought up), I will throw in eX-Driver. It's an animated series from Japan. No, not Initail-D! Plot is a bit silly (in the future no one-drives, its all computer controlled electrics...shudder...) but the heros drive gas powered stuff from today. Lotus 7, Lancia Stratos, Lotus Europa, Rally prepped Impreza, and a supercharged/turbo charged Miata. (yes both charging systems, clutch on super charger) Other stuff make appearances too. Very nice artwork, sound was pulled from the real cars, even the Stratos. The Miata in "Nina and Rei" only needs a GRM sticker to be complete!

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/10/10 9:37 p.m.

3 pages and only 2 mentions of Vanishing Point?

If you like hot rods there's a little known movie called The Lively Set that had some decent stunt driving and featured a lot of Mickey Thompson's cars and also the Chrysler Turbine car

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pRphLb9k6rnJ9pLsNQImkO8ay6S30321WKXDCU6aAYHALtcJRRnP6xdELVY4BRwI