1 2
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
2/21/14 8:34 a.m.

...and I like Yugos! But seriously, are these things as bad as they seem to be?

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
2/21/14 8:36 a.m.

They're Daweoo, IIRC. They're the evolution of the cheap econobox from Chevy...Sprint/Metro. I've driven one. It's certainly better than the Metro was, but it's a cheap car. Nothing exciting, does nothing well. But gets you from point A to point B. They were the textbook definition of cheap rental cars.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/21/14 8:43 a.m.

IIRC the timing belt change interval is silly short. I did it twice on my brothers.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
2/21/14 8:43 a.m.

Yes, Daewoo. I can certainly appreciate the A to B with no other positive attributes but since that quality is in my wheelhouse I've been looking into them (along with every other car out there).

I'm not so sure they CAN get from A to B, cheaply or not...

mw
mw Dork
2/21/14 8:44 a.m.

They weren't even an evolution from the sprint and metro. Those were Suzuki/ gm built and a cheap but decent car with potential. The Aveo is Daewoo and has no redeeming features IMO.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
2/21/14 8:47 a.m.

And there doesn't appear to be a similarly (non) equipped car to compete against it.

What I would do for a stripped 4cyl reliably built car in the 2005-6 range.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
2/21/14 8:47 a.m.
nocones wrote: IIRC the timing belt change interval is silly short. I did it twice on my brothers.

Korean timing belt intervals were almost always 60k. The good news they are super easy to change and cost pennies.

The Aveo is just a rebodied Lanos IIRC. terrible terroble little car.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
2/21/14 8:50 a.m.

Look at mpg. You will often find that the cheapest car in a manufacturer's lineup has a low tech engine and therefore is not really the mpg leader but often just decent at mpg due to small size.

Looking at www.fueleconomy. for '04, the ratings are:
Aveo: 23/26/31
Cavalier: 21/25/31
The Cav is a superior car (wow that is an odd statement) and should not cost you any more on the used market.
Again, its Daeweoo. I would avoid.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
2/21/14 8:55 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: What I would do for a stripped 4cyl reliably built car in the 2005-6 range.

See Saturn Ion.
The selection should be endless and the stripped part is almost guaranteed.
'07 Ion, Stripped w/ 87k miles, dealer priced at $4k
'05 Ion w/ 92k, dealer priced at $3k

EPA: 23/26/32

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
2/21/14 8:56 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: The Cav is a superior car and should not cost you any more on the used market.

This should go in "say what?"

And like others have said, avoid the Aveo. It's not just the timing belt, it's the ridicously fragile suspension, the fast wearing brakes, the breaking interior plastics. And they're not even fun to drive. Not even in a rental car fashion. Horrible horrible car.

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
2/21/14 9:17 a.m.

So am I right in saying the Aveo is the first car that gets no love whatsoever from this forum?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
2/21/14 9:24 a.m.

In reply to Rufledt:

That's exactly what I was thinking!

And I really meant the Yugo comparison. I remember what the car community thought of them when new but now they're going for what they cost new 20 years ago.

I don't see that with Aveos in the future.

failboat
failboat UltraDork
2/21/14 9:24 a.m.

yea but vw coilovers practically bolt on. dude. bro. dudebro.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/chevy-aveo-hop-up/35974/page2/

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
2/21/14 9:25 a.m.

Daeweoo made decent VCRs.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
2/21/14 9:30 a.m.

Here is a sample from the resident Daewoo aficionado.
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/daewoo-of-death-hits-the-track-video-content/27159/page1/

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
2/21/14 9:59 a.m.
fanfoy wrote: And they're not even fun to drive. Not even in a rental car fashion. Horrible horrible car.

I personally found them fun to drive in a rental car fashion at the Auto Show in Motion. It did turn in pretty quickly, and may not have kept all four wheels on the ground. More of a fun car to beat on than a fun car to drive.

bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta New Reader
2/21/14 10:37 a.m.

On a related note, how does the Spark stack up? Is it just Aveo-style suckage in a cool new wrapper, or is it a major step forward?

+1 on Saturn Ion reliability, but I'd look for a pampered S-series instead. The Ion is quieter and rides nicer, but the S-series is more fun, and the gauges are in front of the driver as God Himself intended.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/21/14 10:44 a.m.
Rufledt wrote: So am I right in saying the Aveo is the first car that gets no love whatsoever from this forum?

The closest I can come is that there was one that came out to an autocross here a few years ago and turned what I recall being impressive times. On R-comps, and who knows what suspension mods.

I think they're tidy-looking little boxes, but I've never driven one, and as this thread shows, I probably shouldn't go out of my way to change that.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
2/21/14 10:51 a.m.

Can you put Cav parts on a Aveo? not sure if that is better or worse.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/14 11:18 a.m.
Rufledt wrote: So am I right in saying the Aveo is the first car that gets no love whatsoever from this forum?

That will change in 15 years. This forum seems to love crap cars, as long as they're old ones.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
2/21/14 11:40 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Once the factory parts are NLA, then GRM will embrace it.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
2/21/14 11:57 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
That will change in 15 years. This forum seems to love crap cars, as long as they're old ones.

Or it will change when they prove to be surprizingly good in Lemons (doubtful), or someone here picks a trashy example abandoned on the side of the road, and shoes a VQ35 in the back and enters it at the challenge.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
2/21/14 12:00 p.m.

Good job no one around here calls for small light cheap simple cars........ Oh wait

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
2/21/14 12:20 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Good job no one around here calls for small light cheap simple cars........ Oh wait

Great post, very constructive...... Oh wait

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
2/21/14 12:38 p.m.

The ex had one. Turrible little car. I replaced the timing belt on it twice in 3 years. The second go round had a friend fab up a metal tensioner vs. the plastic ones that always broke. Do that and you have a good lemons car in a few years. If I recall I remember some magazine fabbing a Cobalt SS drivetrain into the hatch variant of the first gen Aveo.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pjFJ9In3Zs07p5aQVWs0ykbm6Dt5uYftqE0151ZqwC8SSPKG6PVpccuojRWOpWrY