1 2 3
spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/26/18 2:35 p.m.

I had a huge wolf spider in my garage for quite a while.  I think it got accidently stepped on.     

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
7/26/18 3:21 p.m.

My friend (and actual training partner) who is a 6’-3”  and maybe 300lb Harley-type said “I will burn your berkeleying back yard to the ground before I come over again”.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/18 3:22 p.m.

I brought home the black widow, and spider killer barely stunned it enough for me to throw a rock on it then light it on fire on the trailer fender and scrap the car immediately.

i don’t mind non kill me spiders, you should see the garage after dark when they come out.  They mostly stay outside, if they venture inside i throw them back out with a shovel or accidentally step on them

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
7/26/18 3:42 p.m.

I leave spiders alone. If I find them in my house, I catch them and throw them back outside. 

Now Hundred Leggers, I would burn my house down for. berkeley those little freaks of nature. I’m glad I’m moving out of this house. 

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/26/18 3:44 p.m.

Make spiders go away and stay away here’s how. Use a cup or two of liquid soap. I use Dawn. Dump it in a garden sprayer along with a gallon of water. Spray everyplace.  If a gallon won’t cover make more.  

Spiders hate soap. Soap will linger a long time. Be prepared for whatever the spiders are controlling. Hint they eat a lot of critters

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/26/18 3:44 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid :

So somewhere between 8 and 100 legs is your kill zone threshold. laugh

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
7/26/18 3:45 p.m.

I bought a 450SEL and drove it home while it was infested with black widows. When I got home I bombed the entire garage with all the windows and sunroof open in the 450. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/26/18 3:58 p.m.

Yeah, we have fewer spiders and more of these guys:

See the source image

If they are inside I kill or remove. If they are outside we let them be.

creepy creepy creeepy looking mberkers. But I have personally watched one attack a serious spider on the ceiling. They rambled, fell to the floor, and then it ended with the centipede dragging the dead spider away.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
7/26/18 4:19 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I’ll let spiders crawl on me, I catch and release dozens of bugs a year, I don’t even eliminate the ones on my ceiling inside.

But THOSE THINGS FREAK ME OUT!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/26/18 5:05 p.m.

We have a rash of mice at work this summer.   In the shop, in the office - lots of mouse poo on people’s desks.  All over the kitchen   

It’s gross.   

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/18 5:07 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

The first time I encountered one of those was when I lived in Nebraska. I was downstairs in the laundry room and one skittered across the floor. I about climbed on top of the washer. It moved so damn fast, like a facehugger in Aliens. I looked them up just to see what the hell they were and found out they kill spiders.

An enemy of an enemy is my friend.

I caught a few of those and let them loose in the garage, where they could live in peace and eat all the spiders they wanted.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
7/26/18 5:17 p.m.

Name it LS swap?

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
7/26/18 5:19 p.m.
Robbie said:

See the source image

creepy creepy creeepy looking mberkers. But I have personally watched one attack a serious spider on the ceiling. They rambled, fell to the floor, and then it ended with the centipede dragging the dead spider away

Thats a silverfish. Not sure why the name is... but the frighten the berkeley outa me! Its always when you are tired and turn on a light and they scurry across a.desk

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/26/18 5:39 p.m.

Phobias are interesting  things, I have two dogs, two cats, two snakes, a large Gecko, a Large frog and a lizard the size of a cat. I kill all insects that get in my house except for mosquito eaters, but outside, it's live and let live. Don't understand the fear, but I once saw a brawny 260 lb. man run a hundred feet away and scream like a little girl upon seeing a snake. 

My little bug-eater: 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
7/26/18 6:37 p.m.

In reply to Kreb : 

I’m with you. I’ll go out of my way to free most things. My spider I posted is free to roam wherever. I can’t promise that his smaller cousins won’t meet their demise if they crawl on me during my training however.

Most people I know freak out and start killing when they see a maggot. I’d love to see how their lives would be if all of a sudden there were no maggots. 

(Mosquitoes suck and yellow jackets are shiny happy people)

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/18 6:53 p.m.

I'm not a fan of bugs by any means but if they are outside, I'm in their territory. Inside is a different story though wink.

Florida is not a place for bug-phobic people. I had some bad experiences with cockroaches. I had a cockroach nymph crawl up the back of the couch just to bite me on the arm as I was watching TV.

I had a German cockroach crawl across my face as I slept one night.

I had an American cockroach crawl up the drain and up my leg as I showered one morning before work. I'm sure the neighbors thought someone was getting murdered from all the screaming and thrashing around.

The townhouse I was renting was spotless but I fought roaches for the 2.5 years that I lived there.

I wanted to burn that house to the ground.

An American cockroach I caught that was obviously planning to shank me in my sleep.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/18 7:41 p.m.

Nuke it from orbit.  

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
7/26/18 9:10 p.m.

A buddy of mine was in my shop where spiders occasionally pop up. Most I have no problem with, but he announced that it was a black widow so the vote was to kill it. I was under a car so I told him what shelf to find bug spray but he chose rubberized undercoating as the weapon of choice. Works pretty good when you have a clear shot!

I just bought a car that I honestly feel was not washed or cleaned since 2004. The first pressure washing had about 25 spiders crawling out of every crevice you could think of. Most gave me dirty looks and went back into hiding.  6 months later and I still don't have all of them gone. I know one is inside the passenger mirror as a web appears almost daily.

Bruce

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/26/18 9:12 p.m.

Alright, we're a bit odd here. Spiders and centipedes are allowed to just hang out in the house. Wolf Spiders (like the OP) are great. They carry their babies on their backs and their eyes will reflect light, so a mother carrying young looks like a glowing golf ball in the dark.

We have a holiday spider on our front door. He gets ears at Easter, an Uncle Sam hat on the 4th and so on. Here he is:

Blame Goth wife for that, though I think it is hilarious.

Remember: Goth Wife is all that is keeping Christmas from dominating the whole year. Every holiday is Halloween, instead. 

Here is one of our Jumpers. It was keeping a project car insect and slug free. Look how fuzzy it is!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/26/18 9:20 p.m.

Spiders don't get killed in my house or garage unless they look like they could actually hurt me.  

That spider in the first post is impressive!  He would have been relocated outside.

Hornets, thousand leggers, and mosquitos are dead on site.  Berk those berkers.

My 2 year old daughter is killing ants outside.  I'm trying to convince her that their friends will be sad.  She still squishes them.  I think she is a psychopath.  Just like every other toddler....

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
7/26/18 9:32 p.m.

The Halloween talk reminded me of bats. I LOVE bats. Bats scare the E36 M3 out of most. I can sit around the fire and watch them fly 15’ overhead all night.

I have a funny bat story but I won’t write it unless asked. This is a car forum after all.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/18 9:36 p.m.
ebonyandivory said:

The Halloween talk reminded me of bats. I LOVE bats. Bats scare the E36 M3 out of most. I can sit around the fire and watch them fly 15’ overhead all night.

I was laying on the deck last night watching the bats.  

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
7/26/18 9:37 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

Those guys are really cute

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/26/18 10:20 p.m.
fidelity101 said:
Robbie said:

See the source image

creepy creepy creeepy looking mberkers. But I have personally watched one attack a serious spider on the ceiling. They rambled, fell to the floor, and then it ended with the centipede dragging the dead spider away

Thats a silverfish. Not sure why the name is... but the frighten the berkeley outa me! Its always when you are tired and turn on a light and they scurry across a.desk

That's a house centipede. They do eat silverfish however. Silverfish are similarly creepy (mostly how they move), but are much worse because they eat your books, magazines, walls, and clothes. It's better to see centipedes than silverfish. 

Silverfish (they are rarely more than 1/2 inch long, but have silvery residue on their bodies):

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/26/18 10:22 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

I would like to hear your bat story. I love to watch them, they're usually out in the morning when I leave for work.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pK1oJOlRk1OeK2czmM7ND2vp4bZhG1O9OZljU7s6PWDfoTjTNvyKpCpJjGtGKjRq