EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/13/10 11:21 p.m.

Crossposted from the CM forum since there is more traffic here.

I have never liked the spitfire or MG bumpers after they switched to the huge plastic/rubber deals. However, I have found a 79 Spit that looks to be in great shape for a good price. Can the bumpers be replaced with earlier chrome ones? I know this is possible with the MGs but I haven't looked into doing it on a Spit.

Ian_F
Ian_F Reader
8/14/10 12:33 a.m.

It can be done, but it's not quite a bolt-on process. Some cutting and welding is required. Search for Spitfire & GT6 magazine. There is a how-to article.

We're in the same boat. We have a nice '79 Spit with rubber bumpers. I'd love to install some chrome bumpers... hopefully black-chrome (since it's a black car).

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/14/10 5:45 a.m.

at least he MG and spit bumpers intergrate into the design better than say what happened to Fiat. The fiat spider went from a slender "blade" bumper to a double tube steel battering ram with rubber covered corners. Not only did it ruin the looks, but added about 150 pounds to the car

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/14/10 7:33 a.m.

It can be done by grabbing the front lower valance, lower front fender sections and bumper off of a Mk IV, and those bumpers were available in black. You'd need to do some cutting on the front frame horns to mount the whole mess up. I did this on a 1500 frame many moons ago. Be aware the Mk IV bumper 'overriders' are plastic and are becoming unobtanium.

On the rear, AFAIK all you have to do is cut the frame extensions off and then you can fab brackets to mount the Mk IV bumpers directly to the body. When I did the 1500 frame thing above, we put a Mk IV tub on the 1500 frame which involved only cutting off the 1500 rear frame extensions, so we didn't get into a whole early bumper to a late body swap deal.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zZxzw90BaTy3xcrrvu3XXu8e6vJxGXGftH0gB9MYGmjGFMaxC8ETTldS1zEobYbc