mrhappy
mrhappy New Reader
7/23/08 12:01 p.m.

I have some tan carpet i need to be black.I was wondering if any one has used spray paint and how it compared to the dye.

Thanks Robert

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
7/23/08 12:08 p.m.

I have used the spray carpet dye for a test project and while it looked good and it didn't last long. I used it on an extra set of floormats to put it through the roughest test in a car. After a couple of months and a few rainy days the gray carpet started showing through. My dad has had better luck with the set I used spray paint on. Although they are stiff as a rock, they are still holding up.

oldschoolimport
oldschoolimport New Reader
7/23/08 6:38 p.m.

I figured the first answer would have been, "ditch the carpet, and paint the floor pans".

924guy
924guy HalfDork
7/23/08 8:15 p.m.

Ive had good result with RIT fabric dye (powder).. apply with pump spray bottle. Takes a bit of practice, but if you work it in with a brush after spraying, and repeat it a few times, it works well...

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
7/24/08 8:21 a.m.

Race car - ditched the carpet and painted the floor.

Road car, bit the bullet and purchased an ebay sellers black product, yet to arrive, (series 3 1st gens didn't have a black interior option)

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
7/24/08 10:28 a.m.

Oh E36 M3, I forgot to mention, SEM makes great interior paints. Their plastic paint works pretty well on carpets too lol.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
7/24/08 11:19 a.m.

The SEM stuff will make the carpet feel stiff and nasty though.

I have not tried the colorbond carpet stuff from http://www.bryndana.com yet but if it is as phenomenal as their leather/vinyl dye that would be the way to go.

The Colorbond products that I have used are amazing.

Dan G
Dan G Dork
7/24/08 11:37 a.m.

I used the duplicolor vinyl and fabric spray paint on our lemons sparco race seat. It starched up the fabric pretty good (made it crunchy) and transfered into everything I wore while working in the car for the first few months. And it didn't hold to the seat all that well. I'm not planning on buying that stuff again.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
7/24/08 12:35 p.m.

I used some Krylon to paint the carpet in a 1968 Impala I owned years ago to cover up the mildew spots caused by the rust holes in the floorpan. (Hey, the car only cost me $75 so that was as deluxe as it was going to get.) It actually looked pretty good, but it did make the carpet feel crunchy.

AutoXchick
AutoXchick New Reader
7/24/08 11:48 p.m.
Dan G wrote: I used the duplicolor vinyl and fabric spray paint on our lemons sparco race seat. It starched up the fabric pretty good (made it crunchy) and transfered into everything I wore while working in the car for the first few months. And it didn't hold to the seat all that well. I'm not planning on buying that stuff again.

Thats odd, because I used the same stuff to re-black my Miata seats, and it never bled or anything. My only issue is that by the end of the summer it's faded out again and it's become part of my yearly routine to re-black the seats.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ilr6u0gVt8HJi9VolIZwg8bqyKDZQOvGKbToOJCUN23zTmDBgESvlT3pG66WcGeJ