Well as Joe Walsh said:

"They say I'm crazy but I have a good time..."

My Sprint car does 185.

I lost my license

Now I don't drive

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
9/17/22 8:58 p.m.

I know that they can be street driven in Nevada; a guy drove one in to check out the cars at the Virginia City Hillclimb (he did not participate though). I imagine that via SB100, one could be accepted for California street driving as well. It's effectively what my brother's driving at the hillclimb this weekend, a LS3-powered "Seven." He got second place behind a $330K GT2 a couple years ago, so not too shabby.

clshore
clshore Reader
9/17/22 9:02 p.m.

In reply to kb58 :

Hmm, it's located about 40 miles from me.
No vehicle inspection here in FL.
Add some lights, a tag, a couple of mufflers ...

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/22 9:35 p.m.

Not as crazy as you think. I saw this Thursday. Notice the plate.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/17/22 9:46 p.m.

I've never driven a Sprint car but I've driven a Northeast Modified.  There's nothing about an open wheel circle track car that makes me want to drive one on the street.

fastoldfart
fastoldfart Reader
9/17/22 9:47 p.m.

So next question is how do I get where I am going with no right turns.?

EFI converted Hillborn injection would be sweet....

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/18/22 7:58 a.m.

Are you planning to have somebody push start you every time you have to come to a complete stop?

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/18/22 8:26 a.m.

I have seen a few in upstate NY. A sprint car, an old modified and a super modified in Oswego (although that was 20 years ago so also old). All of them seemed to be used akin to a model T, very intentionally and it was about the experience and the show, no one was getting groceries. All the cars were turned down a bit (for example the sprint and the super had starters, which they wouldn't have). They were all very cool and the drivers seemed to enjoy bringing the show to the streets. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/18/22 9:15 a.m.

I wonder what's behind it. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/18/22 9:45 a.m.
Duke said:

Are you planning to have somebody push start you every time you have to come to a complete stop?

Easy solution: never stop.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
9/18/22 10:32 a.m.

Hot Rod Magazine had an article where somebody had managed to get one registered... in California. He carried a binder of laminated, waterproof paperwork to explain to cops how he'd pulled that off.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
9/18/22 11:20 a.m.

There's an FB page for street legal oval/dirt cars. I enjoy perusing it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1818046445088846

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/22 11:54 a.m.

Saw this last night

plated, lights, drove away on the street 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/18/22 4:48 p.m.

After a year long ordeal getting my Exocet approved and registered in Ohio, I'd love to know how that feat was accomplished.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/22 8:33 p.m.

In reply to einy (Forum Supporter) :

I'd bet a rotten silverado donated whatever part the vin number was attached to 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/18/22 9:10 p.m.
einy (Forum Supporter) said:

After a year long ordeal getting my Exocet approved and registered in Ohio, I'd love to know how that feat was accomplished.

Just because someone screws a plate on something doesn't make it legit.  Not calling out the Napa truck.  I don't know.  But I've learned that many "plated" cars won't pass muster if pulled over by a knowledgeable LEO.  Or, heaven forbid, are in an accident and insurance gets involved.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/19/22 12:33 p.m.

... I guess I just assumed the NAPA truck had an Ohio State Patrol issued VIN tag on it in order to get an Ohio plate, but quite possibly, it might not.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/22 1:27 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:
einy (Forum Supporter) said:

Just because someone screws a plate on something doesn't make it legit.  Not calling out the Napa truck.  I don't know.  But I've learned that many "plated" cars won't pass muster if pulled over by a knowledgeable LEO.  Or, heaven forbid, are in an accident and insurance gets involved.

There are a few people in my area with legal dirt modifeds. They went through the same process as a kit car and NYS put a VIN sticker in them. It's a process but not necessarily impossible. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
9/19/22 1:47 p.m.

Hey, another idea. A former open wheel (aka sprint car/midget) racer converted two Silver Crown cars into road racing cars. They worked well since they were built neutral (i.e. no left-side bias). Super fast.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/22 2:54 p.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

Why not?  Midgets have won before. 

https://www.barcboys.com/lime-rock-59-usac-2

stroker
stroker PowerDork
9/20/22 8:11 a.m.
MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
10/6/22 12:17 a.m.

roger ward ran a midget in the first United States Grand Prix head at Sebring

stroker
stroker PowerDork
10/6/22 7:22 a.m.

I found a group on FB that nobody here will have any interest in at all. 

None.

Zero.

Zip.

Nada.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
unkKV6fIzDsFISsNcMZATjifU5YA4QIVgXc8IYl4CLXkAdqM9n8iiFJmbwpclGvu