Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
1/17/15 4:51 p.m.

Starter in my Powerstroke died a miserable death about a month ago. So I'm at a crossroads on a replacement. I can do a new powermaster for $250, advance reman for a newer style truck as a bolt-in upgrade for $150 after coupon, or just buy a jy used one for about $80.

WWGRMD?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
1/17/15 5:03 p.m.

Are there any local rebuilders left? I've had generally poor results with commercial remanufactured starters in most of the industrial vehicles that I work on. In many cases new OEM, highest quality (new) aftermarket or a rebuild by a local shop that cares about their reputation is the only way to go with a diesel engine. The rebuilder will he the least expensive if you can find one, and can work on his time schedule.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
1/17/15 5:19 p.m.

Well I'm looking at upgrading to gear reduction from the old straight barrel one.... And I only have a few days upcoming to swap it out. The advance one I can have now or it would be Wednesday for the other options.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/17/15 5:36 p.m.

My opinion; junkyard, save the old one until you can find areal armature shop, have it rebuilt, and sitting on a shelf for when the jy unit fries itself. Been down this road a bit recently.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/15 5:48 p.m.

There is a guy near me who rebuilds.. and I have -never- had any luck with any of them.. The one he did for me directly never worked and two that a mechanic did for me through him all died quickly (one within hours)

I just stick with either dealer or whatever the box stores sell

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/17/15 6:07 p.m.

Last JY one I had died within 3 months. There's absolutely no way to tell how old they are..... same goes for the quality control on the remans. I just bite the bullet and buy a new one with a lifetime warranty, now.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
1/17/15 9:05 p.m.

I haven't had good luck with Advance Starters, they are hit or miss on reliability, but if you get one with the lifetime warranty you are golden minus your labor to change it.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar UltraDork
1/17/15 10:09 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Are there any local rebuilders left? I've had generally poor results with commercial remanufactured starters in most of the industrial vehicles that I work on. In many cases new OEM, highest quality (new) aftermarket or a rebuild by a local shop that cares about their reputation is the only way to go with a diesel engine. The rebuilder will he the least expensive if you can find one, and can work on his time schedule.

Andy, I have a guy out my way that does starters, alternators and generators. It's a side business for him but I've used him a couple times for customers stuff and have been very happy. I can get you his number if you are interested.

Depending on the application sometimes it's just cheaper to go with the new unit. I use the rebuilder for the odd applications and guys that want to keep the original parts with their car.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
1/17/15 10:22 p.m.

pull it apart and see what's wrong with it... brushes are easy to put in, and if it has a solenoid on it like the old GM's had and it's not kicking out, you can probably fix it by turning the copper washer inside of it around..

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
1/17/15 11:04 p.m.

When I replaced the Focus' last year, the OEM model I bought was a reman. Works great a year later. Was cheaper than the new (not reman) model for the SV650 I had.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/17/15 11:49 p.m.

I've had luck with electric motor rebuilders. There's one we used at the Vair Shop, they did really good work with starters, generators, and alternators.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/17/15 11:58 p.m.

We have a local shop that rebuilds alternators and starters. Price wise he is a bit less than dealer new but in all the years I have been using I have never had one die once he rebuilds it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/18/15 1:19 a.m.

Parts store starters and alternators are the bane of my existence.

daeman
daeman Reader
1/18/15 2:01 a.m.

If it were me I'd be stripping it and seeing if its rebuildable. Starters are pretty easy to rebuild and unless there's been a catastrophic failure its usually just brushes or a solenoid issue.

As a side note, you may find your starter has a planetary reduction drive built into it

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4IYRjWwAx337mprJ6Ru8d4IIxrLpjejhHdzWpB84TQxWitROPoTTEKsIa0vT6RBA