1 2 3
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/10/12 7:50 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
4g63t wrote: The water pumps seize, which breaks the timing belt and they are inteference motors.
wait-a-minute! They ran the waterpump off of the timing belt?!?

That's SOP nowadays.

What is good is when this is done on timing chain engines, and the water pump starts dumping coolant into the oil.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/10/12 10:20 a.m.

A good friend of mine had a 95 ( I think) Stealth TT and it was a beast of a car. His was lightly modded, BPU stuff and and EIBACH Pro Kit. He got into a lot of trouble with that car doing stuff on the street that you shouldn't do but in the end all of the clutch dumps did in the 6 speed.

With that being said they are a big pain to work on, the peeling onion thing is right on. But if you have the time and space they are very cool.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
2/10/12 12:46 p.m.

i drove a N/A one once that was DOHC. due to my deeply ingrained hatred for all things mitsubishi, i really wanted to talk about what a pile of crap it was. honestly, i kinda liked driving it.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
2/10/12 11:22 p.m.
..anyway, these cars really make one appreciate modern engines' much more simple, integrated designs.

+1 for underappreciated fact.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
2/11/12 7:34 a.m.

I read this topic hoping to see the requisite hotlinks of enablingness all I found was disappointment though...

Armitage
Armitage Reader
2/11/12 8:05 a.m.

Had a '95 SL, bought it with 30k, sold it with 60k. Never had to do any repairs on it so maybe that tints my ownership experience a bit. It was a fun and comfortable ride at the time, but that was many years ago.

Knurled
2/11/12 11:04 a.m.
ahutson03 wrote: I read this topic hoping to see the requisite hotlinks of enablingness all I found was disappointment though...

GRM Readers: We're crazy, not stupid.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
2/12/12 11:06 p.m.

Threads like this make me want a base model 3000GT even more.

Grizz
Grizz Dork
2/12/12 11:37 p.m.

My mother did 140 miles an hour in a 3000GT VR4.

At some point I am going to have to buy one just to beat her record.

All I've gotten from riding in them and talking to people who've owned them is that they're really nice highway bombers, but they don't really have a use beyond that.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/13/12 8:43 a.m.

That is a spittting image of my friends car. He told me that on the way home for KY where he bought it he hit 150 before he backed down. He used to bait guys in vettes all the time.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
2/13/12 8:10 p.m.

this probably doesnt need to be pointed out but those motors have made ridiculous power. Several 1000+hp ones out there.

It's the Mitsu equivalent of a supra motor. At one point i saw a thread where a rich guy put the 6g72 and the 2jz on an engine dyno and ran them up in increments of boost up to about 700hp. Pound per pound (of boost) the 6g72 was right there with the 2jz. It's a really strong motor power-wise, but it has to be RIGHT (bearing clearances, cam timing, oil pump wear) or it will break. That's the main problem with them.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
2/13/12 8:45 p.m.
Grizz wrote: My mother did 140 miles an hour in a 3000GT VR4.

Yes, easily. I actually passed a cop one night in mine going well over 140. Blipped his brake lights but didn't turn around. They are stupid fast cruisers.

Knurled
2/13/12 8:46 p.m.

I will grant that the ports are huge on the 6G72. At least, the ones in the lower intake are. They look about the same ID as a Mazda peripheral intake port, and there are six of them not 2.

The car is like the proto-GTR, except EVERYTHING is crammed under the hood. Everything except the pump for the rear wheel steering, THAT is driven off of a gear on the rear differential. (but the rear steering fluid reservoir is crammed underhood)

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/13/12 10:40 p.m.

Still wanna build a stroked version of that motor with a 3.8L truck block and the MIVEC system used on the later Eclipse (about the only useful thing from them, IMO). Just seems like it would be a lot of fun driving the rear wheels of some cheap, mitsu crap box with Mitsu's take on the Yamaha SHO motor just with moar boosts!

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
5/28/12 10:05 a.m.

I ended up buying a broke down 1997 base sohc/5spd recently. Ive decided on an he351ve for it. There's one sitting in the (giant, roomy) engine bay right now, not hooked to anything yet..

Bumpers not bolted on and those wheels are not for that car.. i just couldnt stand to look at it with stock 16s.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CAYoZBITHOZvdLgEZiQn6rcX42TDMFJ2bgF3R6QuD38mO0WE8MZstN0LiNNpNC7l